1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Big Green Egg

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by benbacher, May 6, 2015.

1. May 6, 2015 at 9:51 PM
    benbacher

benbacher [OP] Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    image.jpg
    Just got a Big Green Egg Sunday and have cooked on it every day since. Burgers thrice and steaks last night. Anyone else running one? I absolutely love the versatility of this thing and the build quality is phenomenal. Cooked bacon roght on the grill tonight and Thought I'd died and went to heaven. Turns out it was just the cholesterol rising ;)

AR15xAR10 likes this.
  2. May 6, 2015 at 9:53 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    I have used them and love them. I want the BIG green egg. But damn they are proud of that one. And evidently they require delivery only on it.

3. May 6, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    I can only imagine how bad ass they are. I can't afford one as much as I would like to have one, its kind of in Yeti cooler category. Glad you got one and love it.

4. May 6, 2015 at 9:59 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    The xxl is crazy huge. I carried this from my truck to the backyard and was sore for days. Can only imagine that thing. Id probably die. But man...thats some serious burger real estate.

5. May 6, 2015 at 10:00 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Gonna build my own table for this later this summer. I shall document that here probably. Gonna see about recessing an ARB fridge in there. We're spending every non-pouring evening outside.

6. May 7, 2015 at 8:11 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I don't have the Egg, but do have an Akorn which works exactly like the Eggs. Insulated steel kamado type cooker. And yes I love cooking on it, too. And they are on sale right now at the Lowe's stores in this area, around $250 or so. I have heard of some using an online lowes coupon as well for another percentage off.

7. May 7, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Oh sweet! I told the wife it was going to be 800 and then got home after spending a grand...didn't go as poorly as I thought haha. 250 is a good price! I'd be curious what the quality differences were between the two.

8. May 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM
    smaldo76

smaldo76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Clover, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black Baja
    TRD BOOST afe intake, doug throrley headers, predator step bars
    I love mine got it used for 60$, it's missing the steel plate. What did you pay for your stand?KINDLE_CAMERA_1430757660000.jpg

DrFunker likes this.
  9. May 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Make sure to get the cast iron grill. Electric charcoal starter. Don't add to much wood when smoking. We like to throw in a just a chunk or two and it comes out perfect

Pcyc likes this.
  10. May 7, 2015 at 1:48 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    I want to say the stand was 160, just needed something for the day. Will be building a table. I could send you this one when I'm done with it for a small fee?

smaldo76 likes this.
  11. May 7, 2015 at 1:49 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Was just looking at the cast Iron grill, will definitely be doing that. Any EGGcessories definitely worth having in addition to that? I like the starter bricks I've got, don't have to mess with power cords. Just fire :)

12. May 7, 2015 at 1:54 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Yea but all those starter things have some form of lighter fluid or chemicals in them...it definitely effects the taste.
    Uhhhmmm, trying to remember what else we got...the pizza plate is nice, we've smoked a turkey in there before...have cooked just about everything you can in there. The rib rack is very useful for cooking multiple meats.

One recommendation is to get some sort of heat resistant glue and add some to the felt around the top lid. Ours started coming off after a couple uses. Just from putting the cast iron adjustable lid and then the standard green lid.

13. May 7, 2015 at 2:04 PM
    ODNAREM

ODNAREM MEMBER Of The Church Of @ODNAREM

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Huntington Beach,CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Prerunner
    TRD catback exhaust,FJ Cruiser trail team wheels,BFG All Terrain K02 tires,Grillcraft front grill,Pelfreybilt IFS/Mid skids,sliders,standard rear bumper,Total Chaos bed stiffeners.TRD Pro Bilstein front/rear suspension.
    That is awesome!I think i need to invest in one!

14. May 7, 2015 at 2:12 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I have an akorn also. The major difference is in the build material. The egg is ceramic, while the akorn is insulated steel.

I only cook high and fast on mine. I've heard they aren't as good low and slow as the ceramics, but my grill is like 50# and I can easily lift it into my truck to bring places so I'm fine with that compromise.

15. May 7, 2015 at 2:24 PM
    ATLien

ATLien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    Money Pit
    I love the Green Egg - cook on it as much as I can.

The dedicated tool (metal stick with an L-shape on the end) is handy for scraping out ashes, moving a hot grill, adjusting coals, etc. Depending on your lighting situation, the LED lights that attach to the handle are handy - don't have to balance a flash light, beer, tongs, and a plate between 2 hands :)

+1 on the electric starters - way faster than the chemical starters

I've also been looking at building a dedicated stand to sit it in - there's some crazy designs out there with LED trim lights, built-in coolers, granite counter tops, multiple eggs, umbrellas, etc

16. May 7, 2015 at 2:30 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Interesting, I'll have to look further into the electric starters, didn't think about the taste being affected. I grilled burgers last night but forgot to put the bacon on so I threw the bacon straight on the grill afterwards. Epic.

17. May 7, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    I use veggie oil soaked cotton balls to start mine. Lasts long enough to get the coals started. I also have a PID which kind of acts like a turbo....forces air in till the grill reaches a temp that I set. Makes it really easy because you dont have to watch the temp and adjust the vents.

18. May 7, 2015 at 2:52 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
  19. May 7, 2015 at 4:54 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It's basically a thermostat. There's a temp probe, fan, and controller. The probe plugs into the controller. You set the temp on the controller and it turns the fan on and off till it reaches the set temp.

There are a few different models out there, this is the kind I have

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_27

20. May 8, 2015 at 4:29 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    My Akorn will hold 225 or so all day long but it takes a few practices to learn how to adjust the vent openings. And that means VERY small openings on mine, a quarter inch or so on the bottom and barely cracked open on top also. And it's double wall insulated steel vs breakable ceramic. I figure parts inside may rust out from the heat eventually but it may outlive me at my age.

Products Discussed in

To Top