1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BIG ISLAND HI Thread

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by 808TacoMan, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2018 at 9:09 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    Nothing. Just gauging interest.

2. Apr 5, 2018 at 12:43 PM
    cubiclesurfer

cubiclesurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kailua-Kona, HI
    :spy::spy::spy:

i would be interested. sorry i haven't been back here in a while. lol

3. Apr 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    4WDTrout

4WDTrout Perpetually dreaming of tall trees & rivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Hey guys....I’ve seen lots of Tacomas on the Western side of the Big Island but, most of them don’t seem to be built up for off-roading. More just big tires & wheels. Where are you all hiding?! lol

4. Apr 13, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    Hiloboy96720

Hiloboy96720 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jd
    Vehicle:
    2017 silver tacoma
    None
    That’s the fad here for some reason. A lot of people love wide rims. Most guys go 12 inch and wider. They look like monsters on the road, but maybe not so good to off road with.

5. Apr 14, 2018 at 3:14 AM
    cubiclesurfer

Member:
    Kailua-Kona, HI
    :spy: :spy: :spy:

6. Apr 14, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    Murkules

Murkules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad DCSB Super White
    X2 :spy::spy:

7. Apr 14, 2018 at 5:36 PM
    4WDTrout

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Looks like I might have spoken too soon. Just spotted a dark gray taco with steel black bumpers(front full hoops) & sliders in Kona. Nice looking truck. Seeing all these Toyotas out here makes me wish I had my truck with me.

Hey, where can I ride some waves and not get hated on because I’m not local?
    Feel free to PM if you don’t feel comfortable posting up the surf spot for all to see

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. Apr 14, 2018 at 10:27 PM
    Murkules

Murkules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad DCSB Super White
    Not much surf already. If anything Kona side will have... 1ft solid ...

9. Apr 15, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    4WDTrout

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Something is better than nothing...I have not been able to get in the water for months. I left my stick at home so, I’ll have to rent something and go out where I can find the kneeslappers.:D

10. Apr 15, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Wasn't me. Never driving my truck to Kona again :rofl:

cubiclesurfer likes this.
  11. Apr 15, 2018 at 10:46 AM
    4WDTrout

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Don’t want to be spotted by the haulies?

12. Apr 15, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    No, just burn too much fuel getting over the mountain.

13. Apr 15, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    4WDTrout

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Gotcha. We headed to Hilo today but heard the flash flood warnings and decided it wasn’t the right day for that so we turned around. Hope nothing like that happens and all those who are in the area are safe.

14. Apr 20, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    cubiclesurfer

Member:
    Kailua-Kona, HI
    was it a 05-11 model? I think that one came from the mainland and was sold off the honda lot. I think it's demello armor, if I'm not mistaken.

by the way, go pine trees. easiest non-localized spot. had waves earlier this week.

you can go south and single-handedly support that one gas station in na'alehu. LOL

bullaculla[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 20, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Last time we went, I went saddle going to Kona, then Ka'u coming back. either way was really long and burned a lot of gas...

16. Apr 30, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Well, it'd be nice if all these beaches werent getting shut down and turned into resorts or private communities…and if land wasnt so expensive where mainlanders and foreign entities were scooping it up, oh and the government shutting down places or just keeping locals out…no sense have a "built4offroad" truck when I can hop in a stock truck and follow most people anywhere. *shrugs*

But youre right, most of the built trucks that do get off roaded and arent daily driven arent seen…we just got em tucked away and safe from cleptos and law enforcement.

Theres a lot more trucks with "armor"(bumpers, sliders) now days compared to like 5 years ago. 7 years or so ago, I could name everyone who had an allpro or arb bumper, nowdays you get trucks owned by businesses running plate bumpers and everyone and their mom has an led light bar, talks about fuels or american forces, and thinks tacomabeast is where you get all your tacoma accessories from.

17. Apr 30, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    5D579781-3FC7-42E6-8F68-6D1C965BE277.jpg
    Was down at south point last week. Had some fun little spots.

cubiclesurfer, Papa Taco and 4WDTrout like this.
  18. Apr 30, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    4WDTrout

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    I hear you on those big ugly resorts, they ruin such an amazing coastline. It truly bothers me even though I only visited the big island. I am dealing with similar development in the community in which I live in right now as well. It’s growing quite a bit and some of the beautiful coastline where I have surfed & enjoyed sunsets for close to 20 years are being developed on. Either fancy resorts with money from down south or luxury condos are being erected right on the coast where many have worked so hard to preserve our close to prestine coastline. I sympathize with you and everyone who has to watch nature’s beauty in our backyard being tainted and built upon. I’m currently in the struggle of trying not to be priced out of an area I’m raising my children in and have called home for a very long time. I’m strongly opinionated on subjects like this and have a good idea how it must piss you off. I get it, trust me.

I was just hoping to see more fellow Tacoma enthusiasts that built their trucks up for off-roading is all. Having said that, there was no judgment in my comments. I was pretty stoked to see so many Tacomas out there! I felt left out driving my Nissan rental car. lol

maileboy likes this.
  19. Apr 30, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    What kind of gas mileage are you getting? last tank im averaging 13-14mpg and was thinking of going back down to 265s just to squeeze alittle bit more out.
    Yeah, ya know what I mean! Too many places I grew up at, but they are no longer there…can only tell the next generation about it and not show em. Grew up doing beach clean ups, now its resorts with fake sand, the smell of sun tan lotion, and doing every bit they can to keep locals out.

One other thing that I find hard is just keeping up with life…I cant afford to pay rent, pay for a truck, pay insurance…just cost of living is so high, and when I wanna go play, its also expensive or comes with consequences. Once bills are paid off, theres just no extra money for fun things anymore…or when it is, its months and months of saved money….and honestly, working a regular job gets bills paid, but having your own garden, fishing and hunting your own food…helps to pay for car parts and keeps me sane while wishing or waiting for those car parts.

One of the other things that bother me, is that not everyone wants to work on their truck…they want the nice truck but without putting in work, putting in the research on whats good, what works, whats proven, why things are how they are….and the other thing is, they dont have the skill for it. We have schools here that would rather have star athletes and computer gurus(im talking about wilfred murakami at kealakehe and robotics and football/volley ball…he has no care for auto shop, wood shop or ag, he let those programs go down hill..but look around the islands, most school are like that). We need trade programs that can give more hands on or inspire them to build it themself, instead of just working a job to pay off that sick truck and drop 3-7k at a shop to have them assemble it, and bango, theres your built truck. Looking back to school years, we didnt really have anyone to motivate us and it kinda sucks cause I do admit there was kids in the class that just wanted to be there to cruise. But seriously, skill…its hard to find people with skills and when you do, theyre busy. But skills are learned, but looking at a lot of toyota owners, this is what the next paragraph is for...

…image! Everyone wants to look good but those stock upper control arms with that aftermarket spindle that came in thew box with the bolt on 6" lift…those arms arent gonna do shit to help with your alignment, eat up your tires and eventually wear out and hopefully not fail. But wait, the 600 for uca is better off spent for some sick ass rims or sounds or led bars. People over here think a "built" truck is lift n rims, maybe geaaaaahhhzzz n supppaaahhchaahjah…but it is ridiculous. Theres a good amount of people who just want the good looking truck to daily drive and go beach or up Mauna Kea…but honestly, you can do that in a stock 2wd tacoma with the right driver, even going other places where people say you need 4wd. Another thing about image, is no one wants to scratch up their 30k tacoma that theyre still trying to afford parts for, or perhaps still afford the truck itself…me, idgaf, i get trucks to use and thats another thing, id rather build the truck to work for what I want to use it for and need it for. And with that, thats another thing about having a built truck around here…youre better off getting another car or a bike to daily drive. With the cost of maintenance or just wear n tear, the cost of gas, the worry of tickets…its not a big thing when people have a nice ride and a daily driver. I admit, I do have a honda suv to daily drive, it works great, it gets good gas mileage….but I find myself driving one of my toyota trucks more often than the honda.

We do have a lot of tacomas though…it just kinda depends on what you mean by built for off roading cause a lot of peoples idea of that is different.

maileboy likes this.
  20. Apr 30, 2018 at 1:41 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    after figuring the difference with 37s, I get about 250 miles a tank, so that comes to 14-15mpg. But being here, I rarely run it till the light comes on. I'd run it nearly dry on Oahu cause get gas stations everywhere :laughing:

Products Discussed in

To Top