1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bigger filter on oil change?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Duck760, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Apr 23, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    Workman

Workman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab, off road, V6
    I used the ones I got at the dealership while buying spark plugs. The filters were about five dollars so I figured WTH.
    As far as fram goes, I used a ph8a on my 92 F150 for 80K, no oil related issues. Uncle uses a ph8a on his 88 Ranger and has for the last 280K:eek: DONT believe everything you see on You Tube/internet.

2. Apr 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    are the K&N filters reusable like the air filters?

3. Apr 23, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    No.

4. Apr 24, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Hey: be really REALLY careful about swapping filters! It's not just a question of threads and seals matching up.

Older engines used bypass filters: they bypass a portion of the oil from the filter in normal operation, all the time. I'm not sure if PH8A is bypass or a full-flow design (nor what Toyo expects) but I DO know I used them on my '68 Mustang! They were the standard for Fords throughout the 60's, probably their first filter when they went to cartridge designs.

Also even full-flow filters may have a bypass to let oil flow if back-pressure across the media builds up. If the PH8A is too low vs. Toyo's design specification then it could open up on cold starts when oil is thicker; maybe even all the time if the engine operating pressure is higher than what it was designed for. If you have access to a Fram book, compare specs for both the PH8A and the stock fitment filter, paying close attention to bypass designs and pressures!

As far as Fram's go I've prolly got 2 million miles on Fram filters, in 7 or 8 cars/trucks in all kinds of driving conditions. Never a problem, can't argue success and I'd recommend them to anyone, but the PH8A was not designed expecting more than 3-4K drain intervals so I wouldn't suggest going beyond that. However, nothing says you can't change the filter at 3-4k and top up the oil, which is a very good thing as it refreshes the additive package and lets you go even longer before a full oil change!

Products Discussed in

To Top