1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

biggest gripes about 2nd Gen.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4WD, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Dec 31, 2009 at 9:32 AM
    NeoMoose

NeoMoose Possibly Batman

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DC TRD O.R.
    Kenwood eXcelon X993, Kenwood KFC-1693PS (Front), Kenwood KFC-G1620 (Rear), Luverne Black Nerf Bars, OEM Brush Guard, AFE Pro Dry S Drop-In, Some kickass wheel locks, Removed front mud flaps, All windows tinted, Anti-theft tailgate mod
    Two complaints:

Not even close to enough interior lighting
    No locking compartments in the truck (glove box, console, etc)

Other than that, love it.
    Need to get the transmission TSB done though.

2. Dec 31, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    drivers side armrest on the door should have had padding! drives me nutz!

i can't turn off or on my passenger side airbag(no key hole) it is auto depending on wether someone is in the seat or not.

No locking glove box

No locking gas cap

Should have been a better design behind the rear seats to maximize storage capacity.

Would have liked a bench seat option for the front(maybe thats just me).

An on/off switch to be able to lock the doors while they are still open, also with keys in the ignition ( for when i warm up the Taco and want to go inside the house).

Console compartment lock needed.

Audio jack for mp3 players in the face of the stereo needed!(it was 2007 man! i know older vehicles than that have them)

Tailgate!!!!!!!! enough said

Damn Cab mounts ( all i would be asking for is a freaking inch or two!)

Breathers for everything that needs it not just for some and leave the rest short.

gas mileage on the Manuals!

Thats all for now i'm starting to get dissapointed...but then i'll look out at my Taco and it will all go away as i am reminded that Tacos are so much better than the others:)

3. Dec 31, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    this is my first truck that ive ever owned and i am pretty happy with it except for that the engine sounds week i wish there was no knocking .. it sounds like something is wrong with the engine but i guess thats normal with these trucks /

4. Dec 31, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    1. Yep, I kind of wanted a bench seat when I was first looking for a truck years ago. I think the bucket seats are more comfortable though. Still, I think a good compromise would be to have a sort of seat in the middle and a center console compartment that folds up, rather than the stationary one we have now.

2. I am also kind of surprised they don't have a jack to plug in an MP3 player or something. That would certainly be nice.

3. And gas mileage on the manual trans, I already talked about. But it bothers me enough I decided to just go ahead and quote it again.

5. Dec 31, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Notice though that most of these are personal preference and minor bitches. none are really deal breakers. the greatness of the Taco offsets most of these bitches, gripes, complaints! :)

6. Dec 31, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why? Rear drums work fine. They do much less of the braking than the front brakes, so they don't need the heat-soak resistance of disc brakes. They are lightweight, they resist contamination and they work well with the ABS. What deficiency would be solved by switching to rear discs?

Metal beds go away on their own after a while. :)

7. Dec 31, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    Way2muchtime

Way2muchtime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    99' 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 / 08 Toyota Matrix XRS
    Nobody mentioned this yet but they are so damn expensive, new or used. I know, they hold their value but its hard to get into a new one. I drove multiple Taco's (TRD,s SR5's, dbl cabs, etc..) and liked them all until I sat down with the sales guy and discused pricing. They didnt even offer to throw in a tube of anal lube during negotiations.

I guess rant #2 would be dealers attitude toward Toyota. Two things that I heard when shopping that I wont forget:

"Looks like your looking for a great deal and you wont find that on a Toyota"

and

"You should probably buy the Nissan then" (when discussing cost of the a similar brand new Frontier).

This was last May when the recession was in full effect. Cars were just sitting on lots and not moving. I really wanted a Tacoma this time too and I swore I was going to buy one. Its not that I couldnt afford a Taco, I just couldnt stand to pay that much. Maybe next time around...

8. Dec 31, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    brickisred

brickisred Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (still) Looking for Tacoma Prerunner 2wd
    x2

9. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Back when I was looking in May and June, Nissan could not do any better on prices than Toyota did. Even though Nissan had a $3,000 rebate and Toyota had a $750 (or was it $500?) rebate.

I took the specs I wanted in to several dealers and asked for the best prices, expecting the Frontier to win by at least $2,000. They couldn't even find one with the options I wanted within 1000 miles, and when they did find one they just barely matched the cost on a Tacoma.

10. Dec 31, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    Way2muchtime

Way2muchtime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    99' 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 / 08 Toyota Matrix XRS
    Really? I was looking at a double cab SR5 4wd auto short bed and it was around $27k ish. My Frontier crew cab SE VTP 4wd auto short bed (same thing) was $22,200. Both were brand new. Agree that Frontiers were few and far between, the dealer I bought mine from only had the one I bought which was fine as it was pretty much what I wanted (White on grey)

If anyone is able to pick up a brand new double cab SR5 4x4 Taco for around $22k, they got an absolute steal. I just cant imagine it.

11. Dec 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Get whatcha pay for, etc.

12. Dec 31, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    Just a FYI to people reading this thread who are speculating on buying this truck or are new owners who are worried:

-A number of the problems people have posted have been fixed/are no longer an issue in newer model years than the ones the posters own.

-A number of the problems are specific to that persons truck and are hardly widely spread issues

-A number are personal feelings on things that aren't really problems

Obviously it's a gripes thread, but don't get worried thinking your truck has most of this stuff wrong with it.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  13. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Would've liked for the truck to come with forward tie-downs below the bed-rails (easy enough to fix that on my own though), and I miss the locking gas door from my '97 (not to mention placing the gas door on the edge of the fender flare so even after-market solutions are difficult.

Also would prefer the bolted-on tailgate that the 1st gens had and a dash configuration that's more acommodating of after-market head unit installs while retaining a stock appearance as well as real rear speakers in the doors of the access cab instead of the headliner-mounted junk that's common with the std cabs.

Other than that I've got no real complaints so far (1100 miles into ownership).

Would've been nice if the truck came with Olivia Munn's cell phone number, Im just sayin'...

14. Dec 31, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    You have to remember this is a small excerpt of 100's of thousands of Tacomas produced. Every manufacturer has to deal with issues that occur during production.

Things I wished the Tacoma had:

Heated Mirrors
    Rear Cargo Light(this amazes me)
    Lighted 4x4 switch(I didn't realize this would be an issue)

The one luxury item I wished it had:

Auto down and up on the driver's side window(my Accord had it and I loved it.)

15. Dec 31, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    actually my tacoma was $5000 cheaper than a frontier se...the frontier was $25k and mine was 20k....they don't offer a regular cab 4x4 4cyl frontier..if i was going to get a v6 i would've gotten a frontier cuz a tacoma v6 is 30k

16. Dec 31, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    09TRDSpt

09TRDSpt African Light Infantry

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    I haven't had an issue with my drums. But I have owned several 4x4's in the past that I used on some most of the open trails throughout the southeast.

Situation 1: A drum set will load up interally with mud or muck or whatever viscous substance you are riding in and they will not be effective. A disc can't load up like that.

Situation 2: Off road in a reverse scenario. In situations where precise control is required and you are having to reverse. Rear drums can be overcome by the powertrain much easier than disks. Where when disks are on the rear the clamping force isn't affected by direction of travel. I converted all of my off road vehicles just for this purpose alone.

Honestly a rear disk swap on any streetcar or off roader that I have owned really made little or no difference on the street. Most you couldn't really tell. But on the trail disks shine, no pun intended.

As for complaints I really only have 2 minor ones:
    Heated Mirrors (dixie dew is 4 months a year)
    Headunit (Lack of volume/power)

17. Dec 31, 2009 at 10:10 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    The truck doesn't give me a BJ while I'm driving it. That just sucks!!!!
    :D:D:D

18. Jan 1, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    chilic82

chilic82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DC PreRunner SR5
    These questions are answered above by another member. Add to that list that disk are much easier to change when needed.
    The plastic one is to slippery. I have also heard multiple cases where people have stepped in the middle of the plastic bed and fallen thru.Sun, and chemicals seem to have more effect on the plastic. I have seen metal beds in 50 year old trucks still in perfect shape. That's alot longer than I'm going to keep one. I'll take a metal bed any day.

19. Jan 1, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    well its not really plastic...more of a composite type material. i drilled through it to run my CB antanea and it is some pretty wicked stuff. definitely not your typical plastic.

metal adds weight and rusts. this does not. im a fan of it.

To add to my complaints...D rings on each of th ebed bolts would have been nice! but of course we have a mod for this.

20. Jan 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    No complaints from me!

Products Discussed in

To Top