1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Biggest Problem With Tacoma Owners

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TACOROCK, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Apr 8, 2008 at 6:53 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I'd say its a demographic thing. most people that buy jeeps buy them to be in teh "jeep club" or are enthusiasts. i'm not bashing jeeps but lets face it, they are uncomfortable to ride in, noisy, drafty, cold/hot, worthless on the road and expensive for what they are but really badass offroad. you dont buy something like that on a whim or cause you saw it on teh lot and fell in love. when you decide to buy a jeep, its because nothing else will do. But Taco owners are much more ecclectic. you have the enthusiasts, you have the broke college student who needs a reliable regular cab 4 banger that will last through grad school, you have the moms who get it as a grocery getter, the people who were looking at nissans but got hooked up by the dealer so went with toyota, the poeple who need a small truck, any small truck and toyota fits the bill, people who see it on the lot and just want it cause its pretty. there are tons of different people and reasons that people end up with a taco, but only one reason to get a jeep. So the jeep people know that every other jeep driver loves their jeep just as much as they do. I may love my taco, but i might pass 5 other ones on the road before i find someone that appreciates their truck for what it is. It's just a different world and a completely different group of people. there are alot of non-enthusiasts that have no idea why a stranger is waving at them and probably never even notice that you are driving the same truck

2. Apr 8, 2008 at 7:01 AM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    You're so right. When I see a Tacoma, I turn and watch it. I did this before I bought one and I continue to do it. But you see other Tacoma owners and they don't even glance at you or your Tacoma.

3. Apr 8, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yup, thats exactly what i was talking about. i pass them all the time and i will look at the truck and the driver but i very rarely see the other driver check out my truck. to alot of Taco owners is just another car on the road

4. Apr 8, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Only one? C'mon....there's as many reasons to get a Jeep as there are in getting a tacoma. There are soo many different benefits to both.

There are many different 'Jeeps' and they're just as quiet and comfortable as a tacoma.

How many jeeps have you owned or taken a ride in?

5. Apr 8, 2008 at 7:29 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Congratulations! !! I think you hit the nail on the head here! !! Each of these groups: Truckers, Motorcycles, Jeeps etc all have pretty much the same social or professional background. For instance if you are a trucker going down the road and wave at another truck you can be pretty sure that the other driver is just like you, Hard working sob trying to make a living for his family. Motorcyclists are similar, they wave at anything with one headlight, hell there were times when I would wave at a car with one headlight out:D It all amounts to a narrow group thing. The Tacoma owner group covers a much wider band both social and professional. TW boasts members from teenagers to 70's, Military members serving around the world, all types of Professional people and even us old retired folks:) So the Taco waving thing is a little different than the rest.

6. Apr 8, 2008 at 7:35 AM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    When I got my 05 and there wasn't many on the road at the time I got a few waves during my work commute. Passed some of the same guys every day (we Californian's are very routine and get stuck in the same traffic every day :)) Now however that we're in the third model year I rarely get waves but more the other owners pulling up along side checking out who's got the better mods :D .. get that little head nod now.. you know the one.. then they take off down the road. :)

7. Apr 8, 2008 at 9:26 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've owned three Jeeps (CJ-7, YJ and a TJ) and I'm looking for another one (as third vehicle I can tinker with in the garage), and I always loved the wave. I just figured that when I waved and the other driver didn't wave back, I was just waving at the Jeep, not the owner.

Stupid, I know, but kept me happy.

8. Apr 8, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Oh No!!! i've awakened the Jeep driving sleeping giant;)

I have been in many many wranglers and CJ's. They were very popular when i was in high school and still are with some of my friends. i have also been in a few cherokee's. I'll admit the Cerokee is a nice ride and useful for many situations. But the wrangler and CJ are only good for 2 things.... being in teh "jeep club" and off roading.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not selling the jeep short, but the wrangler is not nearly as versatile as a truck (any truck, not just a taco). All the wranglers i have been in are very noisy, and very cramped. my knees always hit the dash. no room for passengers or storage (until they came out with the 4 door version). they are very cold or hot depending on teh time of year, even the hard tops are drafty. I have yet to be in a wrangler with a smooth non bumpy ride. and the design causes it to get horrible gas mileage. its like driving a cube. for all those reasons a Jeep sucks on the road. But i will be the first to admit that Jeeps are one of the most effective off-roading vehicles. I'm just saying that a certain type of person buys a jeep, usually for one of two things, to be in the exclusive "jeep club" or to go offroading. either way i'd say close to 80% of jeep owners are actual enthusiasts, whereas probably less than 50% of taco owners are toyota enthusiasts. A tacoma can double as a family vehicle or a badass trail truck. my double cab can hold a wife and kid and dog and still make it to the lake with a boat or through a mud pit. or if i was married my wife could take it to go shopping or get groceries. i guanrantee you if i had a wrangler and was married that jeep would never be taken for her outings. Nor are they ideal for toing a boat. good luck hauling a load of mulch in a jeep (unless you have jeep truck which i absolutely love!). Do you agree with any of that Janster or am i way off?

9. Apr 8, 2008 at 11:25 AM
    WildcaTaco

WildcaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab V6 TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Removed Secondary Air Filter
    I actually really like jeeps as well, I just know they are not the most reliable products ever made.

I mean if you want to off road the wranglers own the trails on the street you have the SRT8 that will leave the new Tundra as well as most of the Ferrari line up in the dust.

:::::warning::::: performance indicated will only actually happen 35% of the total lifespan of the vehicle due to mechanical/electrical failures, shop times, and the huge bill that goes with sending a jeep into a shop

10. Apr 8, 2008 at 11:31 AM
    iwc3714

iwc3714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Bull bar, oem side steps and 18" Enkei
    Tacomas are too popular in town, I spend all day waving, when I
    drove around.:p
    I'll admit, when I ride my R1, I'll wave to other sportbike riders and they
    always wave back.:D But than sportbikes are a very small percentage
    of traffic.

11. Apr 8, 2008 at 12:35 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    But what if my truck really is cooler than yours? :rofl:

12. Apr 8, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I wave to people with modded trucks or with decals from a forum I am on (TTORA, TN, ect.).

13. Apr 8, 2008 at 12:51 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Same here. Sometimes surprisingly difficult to catch people's attention though. A lot of people simply don't realize there are other on the road with them, but that's not a problem specific to a certain vehicle. People in general seem unaware of their surroundings.

You are now $.02 richer. :p

14. Apr 8, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    i'm in HI sign to all tacos this summer...the wave starts NOW!! Finger up on the wheel to click yeah what's up, Head nod, or the entire hand wave all suffice.

15. Apr 8, 2008 at 2:00 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    tcbob--we need some "It's a Tacoma thing, you wouldn't understand" stickers...whatcha think?

16. Apr 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    It'd be unique. Just like everyone else. How about "It's a Tacoma, now you do understand."

17. Apr 8, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baddest Jeep ever...hands down...

Yes, that is a Viper engine shoehorned into a Jeep Wrangler.

I've uploaded bigger versions of the pics in my gallery.

sm.BADAZZJEEP.jpg
    sm.engine.jpg
    JEEP.jpg

18. Apr 8, 2008 at 5:59 PM
    Dcrooks84

Dcrooks84 Sir Anal Loin of Beef

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab SR5 Pkg #8 lng bd 4X4
    Removed secondary air filter, Fog light anytime, Map light mod, Scan Gauge II, Polished Stainless Steel Westin E-Series Bull Bar, Black GrilleCraft Grille, Borla CatBack Exhaust
    Here in northern ohio its still pretty much ford and gm. I have only seen 4 other tacos (1st or 2nd gen) and I started doing the wave and it seems to have been catching on. Every time one of them passes me they wave now. Building some respect for vehicle made in the US ;)

19. Apr 8, 2008 at 6:11 PM
    waynea4

waynea4 Active Member

Member:
    Western N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Red 08' Double Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    I have a Wrangler as well and some other Jeep owners wave and others dont. I have waved at other tacos when I drive it because I drive the Jeep so much, maybe it will catch on too, the new Tacomas are bad ass and they do catch your eye, or maybe im just partial!

20. Apr 9, 2008 at 4:38 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Great in theory but...

We do this on Motorcycles. And you hear a lot of guys getting upset because someone didn't wave to them...like a lot of Harley guys. So it can be kind of irritating for the sensitive types.

I owned a Jeep CJ-7 Golden Eagle. It looked very cool and was a piece of garbage. Maybe they have gotten better I don't know...but since Jeep is now owned by Chrysler I wouldn't even look at one to seriously buy.

Other than that...:wave:

Products Discussed in

To Top