1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BigMike’s Big Journey: New 2016 Tacoma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by BigMike, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Jul 10, 2017 at 9:55 PM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    @BigMike , I don't understand half of what you're writing about, but I sure do like your enthusiasm. Subbed.

BigMike[OP] and Spare Parts like this.
  2. Jul 11, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    hes a visionary.

Nickel likes this.
  3. Jul 11, 2017 at 11:20 AM
    BigMike

BigMike [OP] Applied common sense Vendor

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 56-speed 580:1 Triple Marlin Crawler-equipped TRD Sport
    Thank you for the continued nice words guys, really appreciate it! I'm getting a lot done currently and need to get this thread caught up!

June 21, 2017 (continued): New Stickers!

That same evening I got some new stickers installed :D

First was my windshield sticker that I had mocked up about a month ago: "World's First Dual Ultimate 3(rd) Gen Tacoma"

[​IMG]

Quick Q&A

Question: Dual?
    Answer:
    A Dual Case setup is where you've added an additional stock low range gear set to your truck (2.28:1 Hilux ratio). The term "Dual Transfer case" is tossed around but we don't have two t/cases, rather a total of two low range gear sets. It looks like this: Engine > Transmission > Low Range #1 (inside of the Marlin Crawler) > Low Range #2 (inside of your Transfer case) > Ring & Pinion.

Question: Dual Ultimate?
    Answer:
    A "Dual Ultimate" is when you have one stock low range gear set (in my t/case: 2.57:1) but you've upgraded to our 4.70:1 Total-Spline Chromoly low range gear set (in my Marlin Crawler). The name comes from what Marlin believes is "the Ultimate gear ratio", which, based on drivetrain and R&P, falls in the 200-250:1 range for manual trucks and 140-170:1 for automatic trucks. The name was created by Marlin and is used to describe the best of our products.

Question: Isnt't there something called a TacoBox?
    Answer:
    A TacoBox is what Marlin invented in 2001 when he built the world's first Tacoma dual transfer case setup. Back in the 1990s we had a Dual T/Case setup for Land Cruisers that we called a "ToyBox", so "TacoBox" was the natural progression from there. As some 4Runners, T100s, Tundras, and FJ Cruisers share the same bolt pattern as the Tacoma (what the TacoBox was originally designed for), we still call it a TacoBox. We have many TacoBoxes running around in Toyota models other than Tacomas.

Question: What about a TacoBox Supreme?
    Answer:
    A TacoBox Supreme is simply a TacoBox fitted with our 4.70:1 low range gears. This is synonymous with the above "Dual Ultimate" and is the Ultimate setup for a Tacoma. The origin of this term is easy to guess: I used to love Burrito Supremes from TacoBell and that's where we got the name from!

Good Question: Why does my windshield sticker read "Dual Ultimate" instead of "TacoBox Supreme"?
    Answer:
    I plan to make a vehicle wrap for the Tacoma which will include TacoBox Supreme. This way I've got both bases covered, plus anyone from the older truck market who is considering a new Tacoma would be comforted to know that a Tacoma Dual Ultimate exists.

Last Question: Where the hell is my apostrophe??

[​IMG]

Not only 1) was I missing the apostrophe, but 2) the sticker was not slightly curved as requested, and 3) we've ordered windshield stickers before and they are never in sections like this...

Well, I guess one nice thing about the sections is that it was easier to angle the sticker around the curve of the body

[​IMG]

In the end I think it turned out okay. (p.s. from the future: I've already notified our sticker guy and he is sending me the missing apostrophe.)

[​IMG]

And lastly I made this flip'n sweet sticker for the back window. I've always wanted something like this on my 1981 Hilux (I made one for it also, "36 speed / 511:1") so I was excited to get this on the Tacoma. I made it 7-inches tall but after applying it I was thinking 8" or 9" tall would be a better fit. I also ordered an eBay sticker indicating I'm driving a manual equipped truck but at this time it still had not shown up.

I've always wanted to make stickers like these for all our customers... Have a text field on our website or an easy to use calculator where you can enter in your truck's details and then we have a sticker made, but making this die-cut sticker one-at-a time cost just over $20... per sticker!

[​IMG]

At this point my truck was look'n pretty good to hit another trail which was a good thing because two days later I returned to Bald Mountain!

(edit: revised a Q&A sentence)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jul 11, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    You got the lockers on yet?

5. Jul 11, 2017 at 2:53 PM
    90yota

90yota Instagram: 90_yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dixon, CA/Truckee,CA
    Vehicle:
    88 T4R / 15 F350
    Stock....ish
    I don't have words to describe how badass your rig is. I remember watching this thread when you had first initially picked it up. Holy crap how far its come. You guys do some awesome work at Marlin. I can't wait to see this beast on 37's or bigger!

6. Jul 11, 2017 at 8:56 PM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    @BigMike, you can do a lot of building, but tell me there's one of these with dual cases somewhere at the office.

ExplorHer and Nickel like this.
  7. Jul 13, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    BigMike

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys for the comments, always a pleasure reading and meeting new forum friends! @whitedlite I am humbled by your comment, thank you Sir

As for my ARB air lockers, they are installed and let's just say that at the point in history of this thread they are not wired in yet ;)

Three days later was one of our largest local summer event called Moonlight Madness, an event put on by the Clovis Independents 4WD Club (event info)

June 24, 2017: 4th Trail Run: Moonlight Madness 2017

This is my second return to Bald Mountain since first buying the truck last year (see video on page 9).

I am way behind with trip reports at Marlin Crawler so again I'll have to spare everyone the details, get them posted up later once I post our official trip report.

For now please enjoy some random wheel'n pics! I'm going to be out of town and very busy for the next three weeks so I won't be able to post for a while. Hope you guys enjoy!!

The first return to the Dinky Creek Trail Status board since last year!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always such an awesome feeling to be back out in the forest! The smell, the cool, crips air. Love it!

[​IMG]

We were invited to do a Vendor Appreciation run of which there were about 10 rigs. Mine was the newest, most stock, but thanks to the Marlin Crawler was quite capable.

[​IMG]

The confident feeling you get when you have the World Famous "Crawler Truck" in your group is so impressive. To know that no matter what happens, no matter what brakes, you've got one of the best trail recovery vehicles on the planet.

[​IMG]

ShemRahBuck and Nickel like this.
  8. Jul 13, 2017 at 11:29 AM
    BigMike

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    June 24, 2017: 4th Trail Run: Moonlight Madness 2017 (continued)

Basic, exposed terrain of our pretty High Sierra Nevada mountains. The elevation for this trail ranges from about 6,500 to 8,000 feet.

[​IMG]

It wasn't long until I got a chance to REALLY APPRECIATE just how awesome the Bed Bob is!!

Check this out! The stock trailer receiver cleared without contact! (if gif doesn't load, then try this link)

The best thing about this with a Marlin Crawler: NO BRAKES, just let the greatly magnified engine compression braking hold the truck back while idling. The Marlin Crawler ads such great vehicle control to the driver. No feet on any pedal with amazing, smooth, slow, precision Crawling.

ShemRahBuck, Nickel and ExplorHer like this.
  9. Jul 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    BigMike

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
  10. Jul 25, 2017 at 5:25 PM
    BigMike

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Wassssssup guys,

Whew!! I've been quite busy the last few weeks over here. I should probably consider getting this thread updated....maybe....sometime.....possibly......たぶん。。。。いつか。。。。もしじかんがあります

:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jul 25, 2017 at 5:27 PM
    friendlywithbears

friendlywithbears a tree falling in the woods

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    The Wild
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR MT
    I heard rumors of the 37s, patiently waiting...

BigMike[OP] likes this.
  12. Jul 25, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    Glenn_R

Glenn_R The Unicorn Turd Gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB OR Inferno
    Those look like 37s

BigMike[OP] likes this.
  13. Jul 25, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    They are 37's. In fact that trip report convinced me I don't need 37's. They are huge! :rofl:

90yota likes this.
  14. Jul 27, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    dorton

dorton rockcreekoverland

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Old Man Emu Nitro Chargers, CS047R leafs w/ D29XL extra leaf, CBI front and rear bumpers, CBI armor, rock sliders,ditch light brackets, and bed rack, Free Spirit Recreation Extreme Series roof top tent, VTX Viper wheels, General X3 Grabber tires, 4.88 gears front and rear, Kenwood TM-710G UHF/VHF radio. Icom IC-706MKIIG UHF/VHF/HF radio,KC Hilites 20" Flex Bar and ditch lights, Safari snorkel, BedSlide Classic, SnoMaster USA expedition series fridge.
    Awesome truck. Glad I got to meet you, and see it in person.

BigMike[OP] likes this.
  15. Aug 3, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    jcott329

jcott329 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Northern Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD OR
    Sub'd

BigMike[OP] likes this.
  16. Aug 4, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    285/75/17 on SCS 6's. ADS front & rear w/ adjusters. Relentless front bumper & roof rack. BAMF sliders
    Damn... Your truck went from normal to incredible quickly. Which suspension are you running now with the 37s? And I can only imagine how much cutting you had to to do.... The thing looks freaking sweet though!

BigMike[OP] likes this.
  17. Aug 21, 2017 at 5:28 PM
    BigMike

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the comments guys! Dorton!! I wished I had known this is you! >_< I would have wanted to talk more specifics on TacoBox + Stick shift.

Hopefully soon I'll get to that :)

Time to get this thread back on track!

Came across a few pics from Facebook. Here I am in the act of Walking The Crawler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pic of me filming the above video :D

[​IMG]

Lastly, here is a cool shot with the Crawler Truck

[​IMG]

BloodyTaco and dorton like this.
  18. Aug 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    BigMike

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Climbing up for a nice re-group photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love getting out of the city and the Tacoma is making this so much more comfortable

[​IMG]

Whooops hahahaha Did this somewhere. Looking forward to tossing these wheels soooooon *Hint: You guys still don't know what I've got going on ;) ;)

[​IMG]

Back in 1979 when Toyota introduced the 4WD Hilux it was marketed as the Son of the Land Cruiser. Do you guys think the Tacoma should be marketed as "The Son of the Hilux"?

[​IMG]

BloodyTaco and dorton like this.
  19. Aug 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    BigMike

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:

Next we headed over to a popular obstacle known as V Rock. The hardest line is to the far left (out of the photo), the standard line is up the V (visible at left), and the easy line is what I took here on the right.

Here is a nice series of me going up open-open (no lockers), just pure traction by way of very low gearing (throttle-less slow & steady static friction FTW!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the Marlin Crawler TacoBox engaged you can go so slow (no throttle input, no riding the brakes) that a spotter can even rest his hands atop a tire while moving!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NMBruce and BloodyTaco like this.
  20. Aug 21, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    BigMike

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Next I spun around and climbed a steep ledge to the east side of V Rock. This ledge is fun because as you move right it slowly becomes more steep. There is a point at which my 1981 Hilux will not Crawl it, even with a 511:1 reduction, but yet a long wheelbase Hilux will go right up. So I was eager to take this 20% longer Tacoma up a much steeper section than I've ever tried and that is when this happened...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything was going good until the Tacoma began smoking!

So I backed down and waited for it to clear out.....which took quite a while!

[​IMG]

It is strange that the smoke is white. This indicates water being combusted, such as a blown head gasket. It is typical to burn oil at severe angles due to oil shifting to the back of the pan and in a way flooding the rear cylinder(s) such that the piston rings cannot prevent oil from passing into the combustion chamber.....but burning oil through an engine results in a bluish smoke. For argument sake, there is a third distinguishable smoke color and that is gray which indicates a very rich fuel mixture.

Everything on my gauges looked fine so I reattempted the climb and up she went

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got out and checked my fluids and everything looked great. Oil was normal on the dipstick. As for future news, the next morning I checked the coolant and it was completely full in the radiator and right at the full line of the overfill reservoir. My theory is that I did burn some oil -- not enough to be noticed at the dip stick -- but that the advanced catalyst and emissions system of this truck was able to clean up the blue color resulting in only white smoke from burnt oil? It's a head scratcher for sure...

TheTacoma and BloodyTaco like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top