1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Billstein 5100 easy install method

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Holyfather, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Apr 2, 2015 at 8:51 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    hmm ok.

I asked DSM to make sure.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. Apr 4, 2015 at 6:52 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    No.

As said before, icon and king springs are ground flat on the bottom. They don't work with 5100s.

3. Apr 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    okie dokie.

4. Apr 24, 2015 at 1:57 PM
    Xshark

Xshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have adjustable 5100's already installed at the 2.5" height.
    I'd like to adjust them down to 1.75"

If all I need to do is move the snap ring and plate down, how much dis-assembly is necessary? Do I need to remove the entire shock? Does this method give me enough clearance to adjust the shock without having to remove completely?

5. Apr 24, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    Ya u need to remove the shock decompress and move the snap ring down

6. Apr 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM
    DDD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    No.

You cannot adjust the height of 5100s without removing and disassembling the whole coil over shock.

7. Apr 25, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    BYBO

BYBO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    Indiana
    What about adding a 1/4" spacer? Can you just undo the 3 top bolts, or is that involved as well? I've got mine installed, and wheels aligned, but my lean outs starting to bug me.

8. Apr 25, 2015 at 2:53 PM
    DDD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    To add the 1/4 inch top plate spacer you do not need to disassemble the coilover. But you do need to remove the coilover from the truck or at least drop it down 3 inches to place the spacer on the top.

If you are using a 1/2 inch spacer it will come with longer studs and to install the studs you do need to disassemble the coilover.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  9. May 20, 2015 at 4:53 AM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    I'm doing this over the holiday weekend and I've got a few questions for anyone that may be able to answer....

I plan on using the dust boot with the washer in the top of it. Does this go directly against the rubber bushing that's in the top hat?? Without taking the old ones apart first, it's difficult understanding what will be left behind to re-use.

I've got a 2011 with about 50,000 miles on it. I sprayed everything with penetrating oil to make it easier for me this weekend and the rubber bushings looked fine with no cracking. Should they be replaced with new ones or is reusing the old ones just fine??

Is loosening the cam bolts absolutely necessary?? Or is this just done to allow the lower arm to swing easier out of the way??

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

10. May 21, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    DDD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Here is a diagram of the order. In this diagram the dust boot with the metal insert is on the shock shaft. The dust boot with the metal insert goes under the bottom "Cushion Retainer" under the top hat. That bottom cushion retainer needs to be in between the dust boot and the top hat bushing.

[​IMG]

The rubber bushings you have should be fine. Even some small cracks in the rubber are ok. Just as long as they are not falling apart.

Loosening the cam bolts IS necessary. Because the Lower control arm needs to drop down. Without loosening them it will not rotate down far enough for this method.
    If you want to remove the coilover shock as a whole unit and then use a spring compressor or take it to a mechanic to disassemble then you can get away without loosening the cam bolts. But the method in my video requires them to be loosened.

dmoyers likes this.
  11. May 21, 2015 at 4:57 PM
    fourpointTRD

fourpointTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Humboldt, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD OR 4WD
    Bilstein 5100s x4, OME 883 with 1/4 inch spacer on driver's side, OME TP04 leaf spring trim packer, Wheeler's Superbumps rear, black FJ Trail team wheels, Gorilla Wheel Locks (73631T), Huskyliners xact contour, Rockymounts Clutch SD and Driveshaft, Toyota OEM Bedmat, Plasti-dipped badges and front emblem
  12. May 22, 2015 at 9:06 PM
    clh850

clh850 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    PCB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport
  13. May 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    Did all four today and it was extremely easy.

The only problem I had was the top nut on all four of the old shocks. They fought me the whole way and I destroyed the rears just getting them out.
    I would have thought a truck that was 4-1/2 years old with only 45,000 miles would have been easier than that. Thank you New England winters.

I did NOT have to remove or unbolt the sway bar in the front on either side. The shocks and coils dropped straight down without interference. I'm assuming I had no problem because I jacked the truck way up so the lower arms could swing down to a vertical position. That was a welcome surprise.

As for the front cams - they rotated right back into their original position and the truck drives perfectly straight. The tires also look perfectly straight when looking at the truck from the front. I'll give everything about a week to settle and then I'll hit Firestone for an alignment.

fourpointTRD likes this.
  14. Jun 13, 2015 at 3:53 PM
    oldeskuel

oldeskuel Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB, TRD Sport 4x4
    Stealth 6 wheels from SCS; Goodyear duratracs in 265/70/17
    I just picked up spring/shock assemblies from a 2014 or 15 Tacoma TRD Off-road. They were take-offs with about 20 miles on them I was told, and look pretty much brand new.

The springs are already compressed with shocks inside. I plan to swap them with the stock assemblies on the front of my 05 TRD Sport.

My first questions, is do I still need to loosen the LCA from the frame? It would seem that since I'm replacing the entire assembly--no spring compression needed--the unit would be short enough to swap out without needing to do so, which might also save an alignment. Thoughts?

Second, are there any other considerations in putting the TRD Off-road springs/shocks onto my TRD Sport? I would love it if they are a bit stiffer and provide for a higher ride height to level the truck.

Thanks in advance!
    :help:

15. Jun 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM
    oldeskuel

oldeskuel Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB, TRD Sport 4x4
    Stealth 6 wheels from SCS; Goodyear duratracs in 265/70/17

Nevermind. I just read about the TRD Off-road springs. Going to go with some OME and 5100s instead.

16. Nov 21, 2015 at 12:00 AM
    trumankayak

trumankayak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    Subdivision for a tacoma newbie :)

MTopp likes this.
  17. Dec 27, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    Lola

Lola Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DC LB
    Bilstein 5100s set at 1.75" and rear 5100s with Firestone Ride Rite air bags, BFG All Terrains 265 70/17, Devil Horns, Nfab light bar, Baja Designs Squadron Pros, led bed lighting, trailer harness relocation bracket, Arrow topper, custom ski rack
    Having problems loosening the lower control arm bolt. Any thoughts? Impact wrench will not take bolt off...

Any ideas appreciated.

18. Dec 27, 2015 at 5:32 PM
    DDD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    The best lubricant for a stuck or rusted bolt is a 50 50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Spray some on there and let it soak for a few hours.

Getting it hot with a torch works well too, but there are rubber bushings in there, so you cant get it too hot.

19. Dec 28, 2015 at 6:41 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    You can still loosen the nut, but seeing that you are in Canada, the bolt is probably corroded and stuck. Do yourself a favor and the ones you do get out slop grease all over them so they can never corrode stuck themselves. I use Lucas Red n Tacky grease, good stuff

20. Dec 28, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    Lola

Lola Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DC LB
    Bilstein 5100s set at 1.75" and rear 5100s with Firestone Ride Rite air bags, BFG All Terrains 265 70/17, Devil Horns, Nfab light bar, Baja Designs Squadron Pros, led bed lighting, trailer harness relocation bracket, Arrow topper, custom ski rack
    Got it! I also had problems getting lower control arms to drop all they way down as shown in the video, but a bit of muscle and the shock/coil came free.

Set 5100s at 1.75" and added 1" block with 5100s in rear which resulted in a very slight rake in rear of 1/8". Alignment plans for today.

Thanks DDD and Texoma for the support!

image.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top