1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 / Eibach Gallery

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by VirginiaBound, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I've blown 5 boots, one was an outer. trying to find the pic, but I cant go through my entire gallery since I'm a work

I cycled the front after I slid it down to check for slippage and to check if I slid it down too far; it was fine, slid it less than a half inch to get the boot out of the way

But it was already pretty worn, was kinda just a matter of time.

I'm gonna try the internal stop the next time I blow a boot. ended up swapping the entire CV because of diff seal problems

I didn't trust myself enough to reboot myself....hence why ive been doing the "easy" slide

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    and yes, i hadn't dont boot slides for awhile because im stupid. haha

3. stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Milwaukie, Orygun
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    TRS MHI 6000K HID Retrofit, Smittybilt step bars, Wade bug guard, deckplate mod, backup camera, LED Cluster mod, Bilstein 5100 shocks all around with Eibach coils, white gauge cluster overlays, Cree LED front/rear aux lights, LED strip under-cab/rear bed brake/under-hood/under-door handle/glove box lighting, über puddle lights, aFe Pro Dry air filter
    Ok, so now that I have had my 5100s and Eibachs installed, I have noticed a change. When I start driving and am gaining speed, I feel a vibration. What it feels like to me is the tread from my tires. Is that possible and to be expected? It's not really too bothersome, it's just something new and different and I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

4. taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    Silver Taco
    3" Lift (Billies 5100 front and back), Toytec springs, All Pro 3" Standard Pack, LR UCA's, Diff Drop, SCS F5's, 265/75/16 Treadwright Wardens, Rear Diff Breather, pinch weld mod, Morimoto Projector retro w/ amber halo's, grey wire mod, Elite front bumper....so far....
    Could be a number of things. What all did you do to your rig? How'd you lift the rear? Did you drop the carrier bearing at all? It could be a very simple fix. It could be a very costly fix. The search function should be your new BF to figure it out. With the Eibachs, you really need some weight on the front of your truck...if you have none (Skids, Bumper, winch, etc...) your front end may just be a tad high and your cv angle could be the culprit.

Edit: Is it like a "whaaa whaaa whaaa" vibe?

5. Gear Head

Gear Head Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    82 Pickup
    The usual toyota parts..
    First is the steering wheel shaking or the truck? If it's the steering wheel then it is probably the cv's. If it's the truck, it's probably the carrier bearing. I dropped my carrier bearing by stacking washer's. Cost me like $3.

[​IMG]

6. stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Milwaukie, Orygun
    Vehicle:
    TRS MHI 6000K HID Retrofit, Smittybilt step bars, Wade bug guard, deckplate mod, backup camera, LED Cluster mod, Bilstein 5100 shocks all around with Eibach coils, white gauge cluster overlays, Cree LED front/rear aux lights, LED strip under-cab/rear bed brake/under-hood/under-door handle/glove box lighting, über puddle lights, aFe Pro Dry air filter
    The best way I can describe the vibration is this: Imagine you are pulled over on the side of the road and your wheels are on the rumble strip. As your wheels start rolling forward, a slow vibration can be felt that increases in frequency until 30mph when it really can't be felt anymore.

It's not even as remotely bad as being on a rumble strip however. I don't have swampers or anything super-aggressive, so I'm starting to think my initial hypothesis of "feeling the tread" was incorrect.

I had 5100's added all around with Eibach coils. Also added 3 leaf progressive AAL pack from Wheelers, diff drop, steering rack/sway bar bushings.

It's 95% in the truck and just a little bit can be felt in the wheel. I'll try your washer mod first and see if there's a change. That seems like the cheapest/easiest thing to try.

Thanks!

7. SeattleCoug

SeattleCoug Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off-Road
    Since we're on the topic of blowing boots galore.... where's the cheapest to get a good boot? Stealership? What do they run for upper/lower boots??

8. taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    Silver Taco
    3" Lift (Billies 5100 front and back), Toytec springs, All Pro 3" Standard Pack, LR UCA's, Diff Drop, SCS F5's, 265/75/16 Treadwright Wardens, Rear Diff Breather, pinch weld mod, Morimoto Projector retro w/ amber halo's, grey wire mod, Elite front bumper....so far....
    Probably auto zone or similar unless you are looking for high angle, or silicone boots. I would imagine they are all the same with something like that. For silicone or high angle you can try all pro offroad. I have the all pro boots and man what a difference. The all pro ones ONLY go on the inside...closest to the diff.

9. SeattleCoug

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off-Road
    High angle or silicone boots? Hmm sounds like a better option given my CV angles even with the front diff drop installed. That's the biggest downside of a lift is the boots getting worn out/blown :(

10. Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96.5 FrankenTaco & 03 Stock dbl cab
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,

your drive line angle is still pretty bad for the last U joint. Id get some axle shims.

11. Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    82 Pickup
    The usual toyota parts..
    Yeah I've noticed that. I need to figure out a way to measure what degree shims to get.

12. Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96.5 FrankenTaco & 03 Stock dbl cab
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,
    Doesn't take much. Mine is only like 1/4" thick on the back. Like 3-4*

13. Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    82 Pickup
    The usual toyota parts..
    My buddy has some, I'll see if I can get them. No vibes would be amazing!

14. Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool Tripe Face Boogie

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67*NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, Both 31" MTZ's and 33" Toyo's, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Shimming the axle is the correct method to fix incorrect pinion angle. Check it with a simple protractor, $1 in school supplies.

A little rumble at take off up to 30-40 mph after a lift is almost always incorrect pinion angle.

OEM boot Kits are the best deal going. Around $25 for an inner and $50 for both at the online dealers. The Kits have everything needed, 2 kinds of lube, clamps and all c-clips. You will need a tool if you use the OEM clamps.
    The All Pro boot is nothing more than a $10 Porsche 930 CV boot that must be clamped on top of the old boots inner ring. The 930 boot is round and the end bell of the CV is triangular. Sketchy at best with a poor track record plus you still need clamps, lube and clips.

Keep in mind that OEM boots will not fit on most aftermarket Chinese CVs, you know, the cheap ones sold as "new".

OEM clamp tool. Some folks have used "end cutters" with varying degrees of success.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  15. stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Milwaukie, Orygun
    Vehicle:
    Well, I added 8 washers per side to drop the carrier bearing down a little bit, and I THINK it's better...but that might just be the placebo effect.

What's the corrective action if it's an incorrect pinion angle?

16. SeattleCoug

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off-Road
    Would getting 32, or 33" tires change the angle of the CV joints much?

17. Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
  18. tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    I thought it did very little, I noticed from 31s to 33s the angled lessend ? Maybe it's an illusion

19. Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool Tripe Face Boogie

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67*NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, Both 31" MTZ's and 33" Toyo's, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Dropping the carrier bearing does the same thing as "shimming" the rear axle, to a point. As the carrier is lowered it detracts from the proper angle of the front half of the drive shaft while improving the rear angle. In cases where there is (very) minimal pinion angle error, dropping the carrier a tad, like you did, may provide symptomatic relief. It is just not the best over all solution.
    The best use for dropping the carrier is to see if pinion angle is the source of a vibe (outside of actually measuring it), then correct the pinion angle with wedge shaped shims between the spring pack and the spring perch. Search the net for "pinion angle" and "pinion angle shims".
    The perfect pinion angle for my springs is around a degree or two down from pointing directly at the carrier bearing. Under load, the rear will tend/try to rotate the pinion "up" (axle wrap) in reaction to the torque of the axles. In a perfect world the rear u-joint will then be at the theoretical strongest angle. Additionally, this slightly low angle will let the rear u-joint bearings move just enough to spread the wear a little and to help to distribute lube. The amount of shimming needed will vary from one spring design to another. There are "guidelines" to determine the required shim for a given lift but I hold to "just measure it and correct it".

Not much if any from diameter. An increase in track width from a larger tire can effectively provide greater leverage through the LCA against the spring resulting in a slightly lower ride height.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  20. stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Milwaukie, Orygun
    Vehicle:
    Ok, thanks for the information. I'll go off-a-researching.

To Top