1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100's installed incorrectly?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by haman, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Mar 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    haman

haman [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hello,

New Taco owner here that thinks this site has been more than helpful. I have a quick question that I hope somebody can answer about an install of my 5100's.

My 2010 DC only has 900 miles on it, but I was approved to have the leaf spring TSB performed and had Bilstein 5100's installed in the front to level it out.

The shocks are set at 1.75" as far as I can tell. I'm not a mechanical guy, but from the bottom side, it looks like the circlip is placed in the second to last groove from the bottom one.

I've read about "Taco Lean", but my driver's left side front end is measuring about .75 inches lower than the driver's side right. Is this the lean? The truck only has 900 miles on it, but I weigh about 250 lbs and didn't think my weight would cause a lean this early.

I called the dealership and they were less than helpful. They told me to wait a couple thousand miles to see if it levels out because the springs need to adjust.

Any insight would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Mar 19, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    I just put Bilstein 5100s on my truck as well. My driver's side leans 3/4" lower than the passenger side. The lean wasn't as pronoucned until I put the 5100's on. That being said, you aren't the only one with the issue.

Toytec makes a 1/4" spacer that, when installed, will compensate for this "lean". I'm conisdering this route.

3. Mar 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    Post some pics of the front struts up close...

Marc M

4. Mar 19, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    3/4" sounds like an awful lot of lean. Even at its worst, mine was always under 1/2". Post some pictures.

5. Mar 19, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    That's probably just the infamous 'Taco lean'. The gas tank adds about 130lbs to the driver side when full, plus your 250lbs = 380lbs more on the driver side than the passenger side. Toytec and Old Man Emu suspensions offer a .75" spacer for the driver side front coil to even the lean out; I'm sure some other companies do to.

Also, just to double check, look at both coils in the front and make sure that the coils are at the same notch and about the same amount of threads showing.

I don't notice it in my '09, but it probably does it when I'm sitting in it.

And a full .75" does seem a bit excessive.

Check that your front tires are at the same PSI too.

6. Mar 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    haman

haman [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Here are some pics of the install...again, I'm not the most mechanical guy so I hope these pictures will help.
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side back view
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side, side view
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side front view
    [​IMG]
    Driver's side back view
    [​IMG]
    Driver's side, side view
    [​IMG]
    Driver's side front view

It looks like more bolt thread is visible on the passenger side, which is incidentally the higher side.

7. Mar 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Those look to be properly installed at 1.75". Just the lean I guess.

8. Mar 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    I noticed my taco lean was much more pronounced after the TSB. Before it was less than 1/4", and was about 9/16" after.

(Side note: after installing a 5mm spacer on the driver side along with an OME lift, it was dead level.)

9. Mar 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    For 1.75", the clip should be set to the 3rd groove from the bottom.

10. Mar 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    In the pictures they do appear to be set on the 3rd groove from the bottom.

Products Discussed in

To Top