1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5125 valving

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dylandercole, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Aug 13, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    evening everyone,

So im getting new shocks for the rear of my truck i have about a 3.5'' lift back there. Im planning on getting the bilstein 5125s that were recommended to me by sonny at downsouth motorsports. He told me to get one with 9.24'' of travel and one with 10.17'' of travel, this is coming from the measurments i gave him where from senter of mount to center of mount my driver side shock was 19'' and my passanger side was 20''. the only thing im wondering about is the valving, I am new to suspension for the most part and wanted to make sure im doing it all right. the 9.24'' travel is 255/70 valving and the 10.27'' travel comes in both 255/70 and 170/60. im assuming that i want both shocks to have the saem valving but i wanted to know if any of you guys had insight into the issue, Thanks.
    -Dylan

2. Aug 13, 2009 at 10:04 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Not sure about having different lengths of travel on either side of the rear shocks. That sounds kinda wrong to me. But, I'm sure Sonny at DSM knows what hes talking about. I'd give him a call and get him to provide you with some more info

3. Aug 13, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    well im posotive the measurments i took were right. i even moved my truck to 3 different as flat as possible places to triple check because i wasnt too sure about it either.

4. Aug 15, 2009 at 11:02 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I read something about that too. I guess having less travel on one side has something to do with preventing axle wrap but that's all I can recall.

5. Aug 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

The first gen. Tacos actually use 2 different length shocks for the rear end. His measurements sound on par with where they should be.

Products Discussed in

To Top