1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 6112/5160 vs Eibach Pro-Truck Stage 2R

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DoritoBurrito, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Nov 19, 2023 at 5:56 PM
    DoritoBurrito

DoritoBurrito [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD OR
    I recently picked up a bone stock 2014 TRD-Off Road DCSB and my decision paralysis is getting the best of me when trying to decide which suspension to go with.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Bilstein 6112/5160 or Eibach Pro-Truck Stage 2R as the title says. I'd like suspension that can dull washboard roads and handle some chunky double track roads without rattling my teeth out. The tuck is a daly driver and I will be towing a small camper occasionally.

I'd like something a bit more "plush" feeling than stiff since I'm guessing that will eat up the small bumps a bit better. I know that something like a King or Fox with progressive valving and knobs would probably be the best option but they're out of budget and having something that needs to be serviced somewhat frequently has me looking at these two options.

Price seems to be pretty close between the two with Black Friday deals right now. I'll likely be picking up an SPC UCA and Icon Add-a-leaf to go along with either option. Any other options I should be strongly considering? Anyone have experience with both shocks that can help me make a decision so I stop spending all of my free time researching suspension?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  2. Nov 20, 2023 at 10:08 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Minivan
    One thing you didn't mention: are you looking to increase the amount of lift, or just stay at stock ride height? Staying stock height sometimes limits options.

Your desire for "plush" feeling isn't going to like the add-a-leaf option. Full leaf pack is the far superior route to go. Yes it costs more. Do your rattled teeth tell you it's worth it?

I previously ran the Bilsteins and they are fine and will give a nice ride. They are on the softer side which satisfies your desires. That's not to say they won't perform though, just a little soft compared to other options.

3. Nov 21, 2023 at 6:08 AM
    JFriday1

JFriday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco TRD-Sport
    Mobile Mechanic in Denver Insta - "Jfriday123"
    I have installed and ridden in tacomas, 4runners, GX's with both. 6112 with a 600 or 650 spring is hands down the winner. Once you start lifting to 2" or greater w the eibach it rides rough bc it has very little down travel left in the shock. 6112's just ride better, even when more towards the top clip settings.

71tattooguy likes this.
  4. Nov 24, 2023 at 7:37 AM
    71tattooguy

71tattooguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dino
    Petaluma , Ca (707)
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OFF- ROAD
    Kings 2.5” front and rears from Accutune / ICON RXT LEAF PACK black badges doors and tailgate / method 315 / 255/85/16 Yokohama G003 / magnaflow exhaust , axle dump / meso int delete kit / meso led map lights / dome lights / wheelers front super bumps / accutune Flip kit with spacer and new bumps / Cali raised fog light pods / Cali raised ditch lights / RCI FULL SKIDS / SLIDERS / RCI rear bumper / rigid backup lights / tuned on 4.88’s
    6112’s for the win

5. Nov 26, 2023 at 6:53 AM
    DoritoBurrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD OR
    I'm not trying to get the truck too high. I would like to be around 2 inches of lift. Good call on the add-a-leaf though. I think maybe I'll run a block temporarily and do leaf packs down the road.

Thanks for the feedback on the the Bilsteins. I had 5100s on my 1st gen for about 100,000 miles and they were pretty stiff and did not do well washboards. Good to know the 6112/5160s are on the softer side. I will say I had zero issues running the Bilstiens on my last tuck which speaks to the build quality on them.

6. Nov 26, 2023 at 7:03 AM
    DoritoBurrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD OR
    Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear from someone who has had experience with both options. I've done some more digging and it seems like there are some people having issues with hard top outs on the Eibachs. It also looks like Eibach has a heavier spring rate than the spring that comes on the Bilstiens which has me concerned a bit since I'm not running a bumper or a winch up front.

7. Nov 28, 2023 at 8:41 AM
    foxgtr22

foxgtr22 Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma
    just wondering, why did you not consider the fox 2.0? i'm looking something similar too

8. Nov 28, 2023 at 10:58 AM
    DoritoBurrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD OR
    The Fox 2.0 was at the top of my list for a while since they have more of that plush feeling with progressive valving. I have two friends running those currently. One has them on his 4Runner and is pretty happy with them, the other one has them on his Tacoma and said that he would buy different shocks if he were buying them over again. For me the the fact that Fox recommends those should be serviced every 30-50k miles (I believe it was somewhere in that range) was the deal breaker for me. I don't have a shop in my area that can service those and the idea of having to send them out to be serviced when the time comes is pretty unappealing to me with the truck being my daily driver.

I think I have ruled out Eibach at this point between the research I've done and the feedback I've gotten. I've had a wildcard suggestion thrown into the mix which is the Falcon Sport suspension so at the moment I'm between those and the 6112/5160s. The Falcons Sports with the tow/haul rear shocks are a pretty appealing option for me since I tow a small fiberglass camper around during the summer. The build quality on them seems to be pretty impressive as well.

9. Nov 28, 2023 at 11:54 AM
    foxgtr22

foxgtr22 Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma
    Thanks for the reply, i have the 6112 on a 01 tundra at around lil over 1" but rear is still stock and while its a nice upgrade over the shot stock fronts its not by any means floating over stuff. i should probably go on ahead and do the rears with 5160s im sure that will help alot. as far as my tacoma i was set on the 2.0 and performance 2.0 rears with the adjusters after doing alot of research i kind of felt like that was going to be my best bet for a smooth ride on road and light offroading at under 30mph. from my understanding the fox are linear valved supposedly thats why they are smoother at lower speeds

10. Nov 28, 2023 at 12:51 PM
    DoritoBurrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD OR
    Good to know about the 6112s. I have heard that the 5160s are pretty good upgrade over the 5100s in the rear but I guess it's not realistic to expect a King ride with any of these these more "affordable" options. It kinda sounds like we're both in the same boat. There doesn't seem to be a ton of linear or progressive valved options in the under 2k price range. I believe Dobinsons is another option besides Fox, but I priced out the IMS kit and it's a bit above my budget. The MRRs looks awesome, but those are well out side of my budget at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  11. Nov 29, 2023 at 12:34 PM
    JFriday1

JFriday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco TRD-Sport
    Mobile Mechanic in Denver Insta - "Jfriday123"
    A step up from the 6112's is the Dobinson IMS. They have progressive valving to them. They are my Fav non-res. shock.

Products Discussed in

To Top