1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein lift kit vs OME suspension lift kit?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by thedude, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Dec 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR 'interfering with Darwin since 1990'

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Front Suspension: Revtek 3" lift replaced with -> OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Rear Suspension: Revtek blocks replaced with -> All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, PIAA bulbs, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Had dealer installed Revtek lift with stock TRD shocks when I bought my truck used. My experience was the front easily bottomed out, and overall the ride was harsh, and got worse when the truck was loaded with box weight.

Switched to OME w/885 coils, and Nitro shocks up front. Replaced leaf pack out back (Allpro Expo leafs, as i normally have weight + canopy in the back + Walker Evans digressive valved shocks of the correct length.)
    Also changed out the stock bump stops.

Highway ride, would be described as stiff, but also way smoother = better control, likely a result of better balance between droop and compression.
    Significantly better control on gravel roads from both front and back end of the truck. Much less wheel hop on washboards.

Used stock UCA, and was still able to be within alignment spec with minimal castor. On full droop, UCA would touch the coil. UCA now changed out to Camburg ball joint style, and I have better castor#s, and more clearance for the coil.

2. Dec 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    Purdue Pete

Purdue Pete Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4X4, V6, 6 spd.
    Removed Charcoal filter, K&N filter, and that's it until I can save a bit
    Some day I might put some armor but for now I don't do a whole lot of offroad. But someday when we slow down here at work. I just wanna know if it'd be a good idea to get some heavier duty springs. At this point, and that is a lift is a few months away, I'm leaning towards putting the 885 on rather than the 884. Don't need 886.

Bought a stereo so don't want to buy the lift now.

3. Mar 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    Bosshoag

Bosshoag Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Doogan
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 TRD Sport SR5
    I'm here for knowledge folks, please feel free to inform me. -Pioneer Double-Din Receiver -TRD 6-Speed Shift Ball -Low profile black UWS tool box Ordered/En Route: -Wet Okole seat covers -Weather Tech Digital Fit Floor Mats Desire: -Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks -1" Hub Centric Spacers -285/65r18 BFG All Terrain TA K/O's
    I'm going for softest ride (or closest to stock I reckon). But you say the N140S OME struts are softer than the 9000?
    This deal only offers the 9000 struts: http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/OME-Tacoma-Suspension-lift-kit_p_231.html

Is this because they don't make the n140s anymore or are they jsut trying to squeeze another dime out of me?
    Do you think I can request the N140S's or would that be dumb?

sorry for the attempted jacking of the thread. Consider this me bringing it back to life by asking additional relevant questions.

4. Mar 27, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    Jhodgman

Jhodgman ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 DCLB tacoma V6 TRD Sport
    5100 Bilstiens set at 1.75, progressive leaf pack, BFGs, All-Pro rear Bumper(white), Storm troopered out

Looks like these are just the replacment shock, so they no longer make N140s and instead make the 9000. so you may be able to get some used (maybe even new still) somewhere but they should be just about the same.

IMO you should really consider the differences or softer vs. stiffer ride.
    I went with the 5100s at 1.75 on my stock sport coils because I trusted my shop even though I thought I wanted the softer ride. Turns out I actually preffer it stiffer. alot less roll when im turning and when I hit a bump at a good speed its not as jarring.

I drive about 15% offroad 85% city and its a wonderful ride.

When the ride is to soft IMO it seems like you bounce around all the time and you have alot of roll. but driving fast on washboard roads will be nice and smooth.

5. Nov 27, 2014 at 5:22 AM
    RBK51

RBK51 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Barrie, ON. Canada
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DC LB
    Tint, wetokole covers, weather tech mats, kenwood DNX570HD Stereo, db DRIVE S7 6 C 250 watt 6.5 component loud speakers front doors, db DRIVE S5 60 v2 350 watt 6.5 2 way rear door speakers, db DRIVE A7M 100.4 800 watt 4 channel stereo AMP under rear seat, tri fold soft tonneau cover, auto starter, Bilstien 5100's all around front @1.75, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers front and rear, K&N air filter.
    How's the ride so far? Did you you diff drop? I heard you shouldn't mix the bilsteins with OME's. I'm really considering this lift from Toytec. Truck looks great!

6. Dec 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM
    taylola2010

taylola2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prerunner SR5
    I'm in same boat so wondering how it turned out

7. Dec 31, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    taylola2010