1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein vs Fox shock upgrade for 2023 Trail Edition

Discussion in 'New Members' started by 0314TrailEdition, Apr 26, 2023.

1. Apr 26, 2023 at 6:55 PM
    0314TrailEdition

0314TrailEdition [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    A "testing her patience" Wife; Bilstein 6112 / 5160; Prime XR Plus on all windows; OEM Premium Headlights; OTT; Falken Wildpeaks / TRD SEMA Wheels; BAK Revolver x4s bed cover; alot of small interior stuff
    I just bought a 2023 Trail Edition and looking to upgrade the stock shocks.

Right now I am looking at Fox shocks, but I have seen some post where the ride is kind of rough on pavement and hear rumors (youtubers) about potential leaking from the Pro models (any truth to that?).

The truck is my daily driver, and I will occasionally (once every few months) go off roading. Nothing extreme though. I also want to keep the stock lift 1.1 (front) and 0.5 (rear), but willing to go up to 1.5 and 1.0 if needed.

Any advice would be appreciated (Fox vs Bilstein or just keep the stock).

PondScum and buckhuntin-tacoma like this.
  2. Apr 26, 2023 at 7:19 PM
    buckhuntin-tacoma

buckhuntin-tacoma Shed hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Quincy IL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica Tacoma DCLB
    4 inch lift - complete blackout, n-fab step bars, Black Horse bull bar, 20 inch light bar, anytime fog lights, added led day running lights, Fuel wheels and Falken Wildpeak tires ,custom fit seat covers, Gatorback mud gaurds
    Welcome to TW!

3. Apr 26, 2023 at 7:24 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    All shocks can fail, so don't stress too much.

We need budget and use. 6112 vs 8112 or Fox 2.0 vs 2.5s etc.

I love how the trail drives on the street but I haven't taken one offroad. I imagine it washes out quickly like any stock shock.

I prefer the Fox 2.0 on fast terrain or offroading compared to the 6112's, but overall prefer the daily drive of 6112s.

I haven't driven enough 8112s lately, and mostly TRD Pro 2.5's which aren't the same as standard 2.5's.

Firn likes this.
  4. Apr 26, 2023 at 7:37 PM
    0314TrailEdition

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    A "testing her patience" Wife; Bilstein 6112 / 5160; Prime XR Plus on all windows; OEM Premium Headlights; OTT; Falken Wildpeaks / TRD SEMA Wheels; BAK Revolver x4s bed cover; alot of small interior stuff
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Budget is no more the 4000 and the use is mainly street driving with occasional off-roading. I dont think I need anything like the Elite series, but I was looking at the 2.5 Factory Series Reservoir Shocks. I also was looking at the TRD Pro 2.5s, but cant find any information on them, and I cant find good information on the Bilsteins (just dont know where to look more than anything).

5. Apr 26, 2023 at 7:40 PM
    0314TrailEdition

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    Thank you.

This is my first Tacoma and new truck in 15 years. I have wanted to own one for years, but just wasnt in the cards for one reason or the other.

6. Apr 26, 2023 at 7:50 PM
    rkd1119

rkd1119 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    L.A. (lower Alabama)
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 Trail Edition Ice Cap
    Hope you get some good responses OP. I have a 23 Trail myself and am interested in a shock upgrade. I understand the factory 1.1”/.5” lift comes from front springs and rear blocks. I’d be fine with 1.5/1” like you. I’ve read some on lifts with TSS (which I wish mine didnt have but I didn’t know enough before buying to know to find one without it), but don’t seem to see a consensus on what amount of lift will set off the TSS sensor and what actions to take to mitigate them. I’m not overly worried about the TSS working but I’ll be &@$#*#( if I’ll have warning lights on all the time. My plan was maybe Bilstein or Rancho (which I never see mentioned on here) shocks as the Fox seem to be awfully spendy for my 98% street use truck. Be sure to update the thread whatever you do.

7. Apr 26, 2023 at 8:23 PM
    0314TrailEdition

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    I'll definitely update as go through the process. I have about 4 months till I pay off the truck, then I will start with the big ticket items. So I am starting my research now.

I think it would be fine with 1.5/1 not messing with TSS since that is pretty much what the Pro has (but you never know). And you are also right about the Fox being pricey. Since this is my first Tacoma (and new truck in 15 years), I am being extra careful (and a little paranoid) about doing any kind of mods. The truck is just about perfect. What do you think about upgrading the headlights?

I have not seen any TE without the TSS and I looked at the inventory on the Toyota website with a 100 mile radius. And considering how few there are right now, I feel really lucky that I was able to get one in the color I wanted on the day I decided to go look for one.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  8. Apr 29, 2023 at 1:18 PM
    rkd1119

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    L.A. (lower Alabama)
    Vehicle:
    I’m with you about a headlight upgrade. Until I priced them. $1k plus for a pair of LED. I’ll pass. I saw a thread recently about Halogen bulb upgrades but haven’t read it all the way through. I’ll hold up on that until I install fog lights. Found some takeoff Rigid’s from a TRD PRO and plan to get the Toyota wiring harness, relay and stalk switch installed so it will all be factory (appearing and working anyway). I’ll have about $5-600 in that.

9. Apr 29, 2023 at 1:22 PM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
  10. Apr 29, 2023 at 10:47 PM
    0314TrailEdition

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    I think alot of the headlights are little inflated as well and after watching alot of install videos, there was just too much pulling and yanking of bumpers and fenders. Just too much risk for me just to have a different look. I also learned that $1000 doesnt mean they will withstand the elements as well.

I have pulled back on few mods because the risk is just not worth it, and the truck is almost perfect the way it is. Instead I am focusing on little things right now. I swapped my shift knob for a TRD Pro, and it looks really good. Fits better with the interior. I also put a matte black toyota badge on the steering wheel, and black license plate holder with the yellow, orange and white stripes. I also put on a weathertech stone and shield hood protector. I know it wont catch everything, but if it stops some of the gravel, that is a win for me since in Colorado they put gravel EVERYWHERE during the winter.

The next few things are some chrome deletion, cup holder inserts (matte black), tinting the windows to the same level as the rears, side window visors (weathertech), and an Extang Xceed cover. I will post pictures this weekend of what I have done so far (cardinal sin I havent done that yet).

After that, I'm not sure. As for the shocks, after watching the video hyrule_trd suggested, I think I will hang on to the stock shocks for now, unless I can get the TRD Pro shocks since those wotn affect the trucks lift hardly at all. Though my dealership has not been too helpful on that front.

If you already know this stuff, sorry. But for those who just bought a TE, hear are a few things I have noticed (nothing major)
    - The brake pad dust is BAD and will dull those beautiful bronze wheels
    - The side boxes in the bed are kind of a pain to remove. When you are done, you will have extra hardware that was used just for those boxes (Checking manual and you tube just to make sure). And there is double sided tape on some areas behind the boxes. And they are about 45 pounds each.
    - Do not use 85 octane gas. I put in almost a full tank of 85 octane a few days ago and it wasnt long (less than a quarter tank used) till I noticed the engine idling a little rough, engine a little louder, and gas mileage a little worse. Just filled the tank at half full with 87 today (Manual states at a minimum 87). So it could take a few days for everything to go back to normal.

Glenny likes this.
  11. Apr 29, 2023 at 10:52 PM
    0314TrailEdition

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    Thanks for assist. After watching the video, I think I might just hang on to the stock shocks for now.
    - ICONS were good, but leaked oil
    - Bilsteins really good offroad, but bad on pavement
    - Fox bad everywhere (kind of surprised at that)
    - Kings (too expensive).
    - Cant remember the fifth one off the tops of my head

Question to anybody: Has anybody who owns a TE driven a TRD Pro? If so, was there any difference between the TE and Pro?

12. May 9, 2023 at 7:18 PM
    0314TrailEdition

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    A little update. I went ahead and purchased the Bilstein 6112 / 5160 bundle (1.4 front lift / keeping 0.5 inch block in rear) from Suspensionlifts.com. I was trying to decide between TRD Pro FOX shocks, the TRD Lift kit, or something else. I felt the TRD lift was to expensive for what little you get (and alot of stuff I wont need), and could not get clear info for the Pro Fox Shocks other than my local dealer said they were overpriced. So went with the Bilsteins. It will be a few weeks till I can get them on, but pretty excited for the upgrade. I also thought the cost was good (around 1400 assembled). As soon as I get them on, I will post some pictures.

Firn and Superdave1.0 like this.
  13. May 14, 2023 at 9:01 AM
    0314TrailEdition

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    Truck_v1.jpg Truck_v2.jpg
    Picture of the truck. Bilsteins will be installed late next week.

Glenny likes this.
  14. May 14, 2023 at 9:40 AM
    dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tacoma TRD Pro.
    -Shmellfab rocksliders.... -BD ditch lights -Cali raised ditch light brackets -Sway bar discos -Auxbeam aux 6 gang -Uptop Bravo -Rci trans skid -Rci cat guards -Trd pro eibach lift springs -Hypertech speedo calibrator Etc.
    I’ve never had a fox shock leak from any set up. Not 2.5s on a Jeep JL, not on the TRD pro, not even on a side by side.

As for the ride, the pro is pretty soft. Like I can feel cracks in the road. Toyota brought down the spring rate to 550 for them, hence why it uses the thicker sway bar. That said, the valving is good. Compression and rebound are excellent as long as you don’t excessively weight the vehicle down.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  15. May 14, 2023 at 10:07 AM
    Firn

Firn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White OR
    I think you will really like the Bilstein 6112/5160 setup. I wouldn't worry about the previous videos comparing shocks, those shocks were another price bracket above 6112s (and imo pro fox) and likely are valved different.
    The shocks you picked offer everything the TRD lift gives you and more. You have a Trail so literally the only thing the lift gives you is 5100s all the way around, you picked shocks that are even better.

16. May 27, 2023 at 1:23 PM
    0314TrailEdition

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    So I got the Bilsteins installed and...chef's kiss. The 1.5 lift in the front with the .5 block in the rear is perfect. Ride is smooth and looks great. If ya'll are in the Colorado Springs area, SOCO Customs did the install.

Truck_v5.jpg
    Truck_v9.jpg
    Truck_v8.jpg
    Truck_v6.jpg
    Truck_v7.jpg

Truck_v10.jpg

Trauck_v4.jpg

TacoDozer22 and rkd1119[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Jun 2, 2023 at 4:44 PM
    rkd1119

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    L.A. (lower Alabama)
    Vehicle:
    Looks great OP

18. Jun 5, 2023 at 3:27 AM
    danvetc

danvetc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
    I like my Bilstein 6112/5160. There are dealers, like Accutune Off-road, that offer tuning to Fox shocks to suit your needs.

19. Jun 5, 2023 at 3:31 AM
    clip

clip Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    15 OR
    pinstripes. lots of pinstripes.
    Looks like Bilstein changed their remote reservoir up a little. Mine came with frame mount brackets and the hose connection is on the side. Plenty of clearance when you're flexed?

20. Jun 5, 2023 at 3:39 AM
    danvetc

danvetc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
    Mine on frame. No clearance issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top