1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Binding axle per the dealer?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wilks132, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Apr 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    Wilks132

Wilks132 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    08 DC/LB SR5
    So I'm abou to install my lift this weekend and decided to have a small issue looked at before the install. When I put the truck in drive or reverse I get a clanking noise from the rear. So I think the u joints are bad. My truck is a 2008 dc/lb 4x4. The truck only has 20k on it and isn't a daily driver. I also get a dragging while making slow turns from a stop. So I droP it off at the dealer for warranty work. The guy called and asked if I've ever changed the diff oil. I said no. And he tells me that the rear is bindIng. What does this mean and what could it be from? The only thin I've ever done is change the oil and put gas in it and wash it. Could this be why the u joints are bad?

2. Apr 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series LC
    Too many
    20k. Shouldn't have needed to change diff fluid. Binding? Sounds like he's saying pinion binding with ring gear which wouldn't be the case or you'd have noticible problems after 20k in my opinion. Maybe though. If so warranty. Change the oil if its full of metal you'll know.

3. Apr 24, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    Wilks132

Wilks132 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    08 DC/LB SR5
    So they called me and said that the gears were binding and they changed the gear oil and put in additive in. They said If it keeps happening they might replace the gears. WTH? Why not just fix it? And they said they couldn't get it to clank. I know it's the u joints but they said there was no play. If the gears are binding wouldn't it mess with the driveline including the u joints? Now I have to wait to put my lift on. I will be there in a week guaranteed

To Top