1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Biotechnology - an overview?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by sliverworm, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Feb 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    sliverworm

sliverworm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    Coming up on the 2nd half of the year I'm considering headed back to school and have always kind of been interested in the new and upcoming field of biotech.. it has been alittle of everything. Medical, nano, chemical everyhting. Does anybody work in any of these fields and maybe give me an idea of what the job entails, I think this would help me make my decision.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mar 2, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4
    As you accurately described, the Biotechnology industry is a very exciting and diverse field. With that, many job positions involve a much more narrowly focused field or scope. I work under Biotechnology's broad umbrella, specifically a laboratory based job at a Bio-Pharmaceutical company. I would do as much research as possible about different fields of study and scientific disciplines. I would recommend that you completely immerse yourself as much as you can and work to narrow down exactly what parts of the industry are you most interested in. Since the industry is so broad, if you do not have a focused direction, you can easily find yourself stuck in a job you do not want and have wasted a lot of time and money.

There are thousands of different jobs in the industry. If you decide to go back to school, I would recommend first gaining a strong base of scientific knowledge. This strong base will be applicable in many jobs throughout the industry and will expose you to a large variety of more focused areas from which you can decide to concentrate on for further study.

I hope this very basic advice helps. I find my job in the industry both challenging and fulfilling. If you have more specific questions feel free to drop me a PM. Good Luck!

3. Mar 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC LB PreRunner Sport
    I'm currently a grad student in pharmacology and do biomedical research. Any translational research field is very hot and that includes nanotechnology, small molecule drugs, and experimental therapeutics. What is your background? What is your longterm goal, industry or academia?

There are a lot of masters programs in biotechnology or you can find a job working as a lab technician. That will give you experience in how research is done and/or how the biotech industry works. I agree with CaptainFun that it is both challenging and fulfilling, but is also very stressful.

CaptainFun, what pharma company do you work for? I will need to start looking for a job in the next year or so and am still trying to decide which direction to go (academia, industry, or govt)

4. Mar 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    eborgie

eborgie Mean Big Brother

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Norton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CrewMax
    I am a plant engineer for a large biotech custom manufacturer. We take microbes and make drug products for the big pharma companies. I am in charge of four manufacturing suites and have to support all mechanical equipment in them. Its pretty cool because I get to design things to make the technicians lives easier or make the equipment more reliable.

To Top