1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Birding and Bird Photography

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by 92shawman, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Mar 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Some really great stuff Kevin.

2. Mar 4, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Thanks! I wanna see more of those Ecuador pics, if you got 'em and don't mind sharing 'em, rosqeaux! I still think it's super weird that those iguanas and the Galapagos Hawk were just hanging out on the same perch! :eek:

3. Mar 5, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    rosqeaux

rosqeaux Badjes?

Member:
    Seeing the Galapagos hawk and the iguanas together like that was a bit of a mystery. My guess is the hawks only target the really young iguanas. An adult marine iguana probably weighs as much as the hawk if not more. The sea lions didn't eat them either.

I can try to scan some more from Ecuador, but there weren't many good bird shots. Only had a 200mm 2.8 to work with and 400 asa film. Love those shots of Australia. We almost went a few years ago, but they were in the middle of these massive wildfires so we scrapped that plan (plus the airfares were outrageous). Still on my bucket list tho...

Here are a few from South Africa. Only had a point&shot for that trip.

trumpeter hornbills

[​IMG]

blue-eared starling

[​IMG]

Redeemed likes this.
  4. Mar 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Yeah those iguanas are pretty big!
    Whatever you feel like posting I'd be happy to see. I love seeing crazy birds from around the world.
    I don't remember when the last massive fires were but when I was there in '02-'03, we were in Canberra when some huge fires hit. It was scary! We were going to stay for like 2 extra days than we planned, but we had to switch rooms to a room on the side of the hotel facing the fires. We decided to cut our stay short after one day when the ash started falling on the balcony and the fires were essentially wrapping around Canberra, so we headed to the coast. Always scary when you can look directly at the sun without sunglasses because the smoke is so thick. Everything gets very orange, too! That night after we drove out we turned on the news and something like 400 homes had burned down :eek:
    But let me know if you want suggestions for destinations in Australia, I've got tons of great stories.
    That's a great pose of the hornbills with that wing straight out! Posing birds are fun to shoot :D
    That's some crazy iridescence on the starling!
    I'm always amazed how well point and shoots perform with birds.
    Great stuff!

5. Mar 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    The pictures in this thread make it my favorite on TW, and it just keeps getting better!

The inability to accurately and sharply focus my 300mm F/4 has been driving me crazy and have the newly released 1.4x tc on order, should get it any day. So made some time this weekend to troubleshoot and found it was back focusing. Added 3+ fine focus in camera and went out for a couple of hours late this afternoon to field test it on the upper Mississippi river. First time in 99 days that it has been 40 degrees or higher, time to celebrate. Last weekend high was -4F what a difference. Saw several red tail hawks, snowy owls and eagles on the way to the river but couldn't get the gf to pull over :confused:

Many of these are cropped 1:1, I am ready for the tc and also spend more time on the river as the birds move North along the Miss.

Mallards in a side eddy that is spring fed
    [​IMG]
    Mallards1 by Mn Cold Iron, on Flickr

On wing, sun came out for ~30 sec or so LOL
    [​IMG]
    Mallards2 by Mn Cold Iron, on Flickr

Red-breasted Merganser
    [​IMG]
    Red-breasted Merganser by Mn Cold Iron, on Flickr

Seen more than 20 eagles today one was in a field 20 yards from the road eating manure in a freshly spread field but couldn't get the gf to pull over. These were flying in Wisconsin on the opposite side of the river.
    [​IMG]
    Eagle2 by Mn Cold Iron, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Eagle1 by Mn Cold Iron, on Flickr

Redeemed likes this.
  6. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    lockeman22

lockeman22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Corpus Christi, tx
    Vehicle:
    12' TRD sport dcsb 4x4
    285/65/18 Nitto trail graplers, Husky X-act contour floor liners, AFE Pro dry drop in filter, Raptor series nerf bars
    The weather was nice and i was able to get to get away this past Thurs and hit a few of my spots. I saw 64 species on the day. I saw a few more but i couldnt an ID on them. Can anyone ID the little sparrow or warbler looking bird with the yellow patch on its shoulder? I was thinking yellow rump warbler but wasnt for sure

DSC_0677.jpg
    DSC_0693.jpg
    DSC_0694.jpg
    DSC_0698.jpg
    DSC_0700.jpg
    DSC_0722.jpg
    DSC_0723.jpg
    DSC_0726.jpg
    DSC_0732.jpg

Redeemed likes this.
  7. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Yes, that is a yellow rump warbler.

Nice pics!

8. Mar 11, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    Cold Iron

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Wow Mark 64 in a day?! You made me look up to see if the Navy Lodge at Corpus Christi Naval Air Station is still there, yep still there hmmm... Great pictures, thanks!

9. Mar 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    lockeman22

lockeman22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Corpus Christi, tx
    Vehicle:
    12' TRD sport dcsb 4x4
    285/65/18 Nitto trail graplers, Husky X-act contour floor liners, AFE Pro dry drop in filter, Raptor series nerf bars
    Thanks rupp,
    Yes cold iron the birding is crazy good down here. We have the beach so ofcourse the normal shorebirds, and then we also have wooded and marshy type stuff so we get a good varity. Its funny bc i never really ever counted species until a few weeks ago and then i realized how many i actually see. Im gonna hit it real hard next month hopefully before the ducks fly back north.

Yes cold iron, the base is still here..theres actually a really good spot of mine just up the street from the base. I bet it makes you wanna take a trip, it would be worth it.

10. Mar 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    Cold Iron

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Ouch, it would have been nice to get it early in the day to work with it for awhile instead of late in the day I'm sure. Hang in there and think of where you are heading! I will not get into the Olympics rule and Cascades drool drivel I love them both. There is a USGS benchmark in the Olympics that I discovered by accident years ago when hunting on top of one of the mountains bordering the Park and Forrest. The cloud level was only a couple thousand feet and only the Mountains stuck up above them. From that spot you could look East and see all the way down to Hood, flat top (St. Helen's had blown just a few years before), Rainier, all the way up into Canada. And behind them just a glimpse of the tops of the Bitterroots. Sat there for half an hour in amazement, I've been around the world several times and it was and is the most spectacular thing I have ever seen to this day. Before I die I am going back and try to capture that with a camera. Or at least try. Then there is the Sound... :)

Not bird related either but you should get a laugh out of the commercial that was the most popular back then. Still love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qXa9oqKL6E

Next winter it will be a strong possibility! Funny I am going to start hitting the river hard soon to catch the birds flying back up North. Always seem to miss it but soon the bluffs along the Mississippi will have lots of eagles flying back up, there are a few that stay here all year. And some even come down to winter here. But soon it will fill with ducks and it means warmer weather and I am ready :D Trouble is at the same time I want to catch a ruffed grouse drumming in the woods with the camera. With luck I can hit both solid this year if work doesn't get in the way.

11. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    :drool:
    Nice ones! Can't wait to see more from your trip, Ben!
    Yeah we need to all make a vacation out to texas for some TW birding... :p

12. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Nice raptors for a slow day!
    I need to get out more, maybe this weekend, but finals...damn school gettin' in mah way!
    Have you used the zoom much or do you find you mostly use it at 400? That's the thing with my lens. It's not very often that I'm outside and wish it was shorter.

13. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    Cold Iron

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Dang Ben that works....

When I got home tonight there was a FedX note on the door saying they tried to do a delivery but signature required. I am waiting on a 1.4x tc and DA* 55/1.4 so thought it was for one of those and signed it hoping I would soon be able to turn my 300mm F4 into a 420 f/5.6. But when the girlfriend got home she told me that her new phone was supposed to be delivered here today and that was what it was for :smack:

Don't know that you can have too much lens for birds the more I do this. Started out I didn't want to spend more than $1k altogether, ha! The Pentax K-3 meets a lot of MY needs for ruggedness and the environment I live\play in. Ian mentioned those requirements in another thread and nailed it solid. There are limiting factors for reach with Pentax and I knew that going into this and figured if this is something I end up liking would go Canon after awhile. Well yeah! It is catch and release at its finest and everything else I have been doing all these years is just an excuse to get outside. I've been a Certified Document Imaging Architect for almost 20 years now (one of the first so can still spell it Architect for my CDIA) and Canon USA recently bent over backwards engaging Canon Japan to change the code in their ISIS drivers globally to meet our needs for patient registration. Hard to beat their support IMO and will go down the Canon road if all works well because I feel I owe them. I am liking what I see with those flickr pictures you posted although I told you Yahoo was a virus and guess what? Soon you have to have a Yahoo account to even use flickr ;)

Hope that lens works out well for you on your trip. And what is up with this frog crap? Hell I was almost 17 before I realized everyone from Quebec wasn't really named Frenchie. Although every time I pulled into France those 3 years of French did come in handy. Enjoy your poor college times, you are spending them wisely and someday will look back on them with fond memories. In the meantime at night when it doesn't interfere with the live system I have to continue loading 21 million image files for patients from 3 different systems at a hospital\clinic we recently purchased into our system before go live at the end of the month. In addition to the normal work load. I am really looking forward to your pics from Puget Sound and hope you have a great time. Also look forward to all the other pictures posted here.

14. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Hey all-

Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe excite a few of you in the northern California area..
    But first- I don't know anything about birds. That's why I keep 92Shawman around :D

HOWEVER, I do work with the El Dorado County Resource Conservation District, and I do water quality monitoring at a small reservoir called Finnon Lake. Last month our office's biologist went out and apparently found some amazing birds that shouldn't even exist in the country. I will be working with her to create a list of identified species and then hopefully be creating a local field guide for visitors to the lake.

I might pop into this thread with some questions or seeking advice, because the work I'll be doing is for folks like you. I really want it to be a functional resource!

And Kevin, one of these weekends I'll get you up here and take you to Finnon!
    If anyone is up in the area, let me know and I can show you the area as well!

15. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Ben, let us know what you get for those IDs! First one should be easy but the second one is a bit more challenging, I had to look it up to be sure. Gosh those photos are so nice!!
    Mike, I hate it when I miss a package! I don't get them very often, though...
    Can't wait to see what you get with the 1.4x! Do you know will it transfer the autofocus and metering information? My doubler doesn't so if I add that one then it's all manual, so I don't really use it very often and I haven't used it with birds.
    Micah, holy crap! Now I reeally need to get up there before those birds leave! Are you staying up there this weekend or will you be coming down to Davis? I'd be happy to go out and get some photos for your guide! :p

Now back to studying my gamebirds for my lab final tomorrow...gotta know common and scientific names as well as some life history information (habitat, rough clutch size, etc.) for 90+ gamebirds of North America. It's cool, though, we get to learn from lab specimens from the UCD museum.

16. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Yep! Pretty sure juvenile white-crowned sparrow. That's what came to mind first but I looked it up 'cause there are some others with rufous/red/brown caps like that. So first off, bill and body shape gets you to sparrow. If you learn the family traits then it helps a lot to ID a species you've never seen before. Then, when I checked the book for this guy, the first thing I went off of was the breast pattern - plain, no streaking. Then head colors, then the thing that clinched it was the bill color. All of the other sparrows that have similar rufous/brown caps had dark or pink bills or bills that were super thick, White-crowned was the only one with a solid yellow and kinda slender bill.
    :thumbsup:

Edit: Just saw your new photos. Awesome!! Really like the Quail!
    What's up with that weird double-vision going on in the background with that lens? Do you know if that's just what that lens does or is that some problem since it's a rental? Kinda trips me out and it's a little distracting, but everything else about your photos is just plain awesome

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  17. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Saw my first Turkey Vulture of the year today , spring is here

18. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Crazy. I literally see 20 a day. Bald Eagles are real treats for us. Only a few hundred nesting pair in the state. If I go 2 hours south, I'm on the northern edge of black vulture territory, which is a treat.

19. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Not that crazy , they don't live here in winter

I do see Bald Eagles pretty much every day though

Redeemed likes this.
  20. Mar 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    We had a couple here this week too. Also some red wing black birds, grackles, Killdeer, rusty black birds seems spring is coming fast. Too bad this blizzard we're having its making it tough on these early birds.

To Top