1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Birding and Bird Photography

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by 92shawman, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Downey, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue Tacoma
    Trd intake, flowmaster exhaust, URD Maf calibrator, 3inch lift, Firestone Ride-rite airbags, Raceline 16" wheels, Fibeglass shell, carpeted bench kit, billet grill, Pioneer AVH1400DVD, Kenwood 150 watt amp, Kenwood 12" subwoofers, Access steering wheel controls
    Shitty picture, but this is one of our hunting buddies birds. If I put up all the pics I had on falcons and hawks, I'd freeze up my tablet

2. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    shutterbug

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Downey, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue Tacoma
    Trd intake, flowmaster exhaust, URD Maf calibrator, 3inch lift, Firestone Ride-rite airbags, Raceline 16" wheels, Fibeglass shell, carpeted bench kit, billet grill, Pioneer AVH1400DVD, Kenwood 150 watt amp, Kenwood 12" subwoofers, Access steering wheel controls
    Shitty picture, but this is one of our hunting buddies birds. If I put up all the pics I had on falcons and hawks, I'd freeze up my tablet
    uploadfromtaptalk1389406984952.jpg

Redeemed and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  3. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM
    shutterbug

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Downey, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue Tacoma
    uploadfromtaptalk1389407287057.jpg
    My dads first bird, Breezy, a red tailed hawk
    uploadfromtaptalk1389407353839.jpg
    And his first tiercel goshawk
    uploadfromtaptalk1389407391993.jpg
    Burrowing owls are my friend over the summer
    uploadfromtaptalk1389407428124.jpg
    And another tiercel hybrid

4. Jan 13, 2014 at 5:24 AM
    shutterbug

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Downey, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue Tacoma
    Good pic! Eurasian collared dove, quite a pest just like starlings.

5. Jan 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Good weekend at my back yard/woods. Saw a Pileated Woodpecker and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

6. Jan 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM
    shutterbug

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Downey, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue Tacoma
    A collared dove? I hate the sound they make, it sounds like a scratching sound..... Mourning doves sound pretty though

7. Jan 13, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Mocking birds on the other hand...kill them all.

8. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    shutterbug

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Downey, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue Tacoma
    Passage Red tailed hawk

9. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    shutterbug

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Downey, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue Tacoma
    That's weird, when I quoted it it says sharp shinned?

10. Jan 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    shutterbug

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Downey, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue Tacoma
    Without seeing it with my eyes I can't say for size. I would put money on Passage(Under 1 year old) immature plummage red tailed hawk. A n immature red tailed does not have a red tail which a lot of people confuse. The white large "spot" on its upper breast is also correspondent to a Passage red tail...

Any accipiter will have an unproportinately long tail and that hawk has more of a buteo style of body

11. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Ha! Wait 'till you have to go off of the shape of two tail feathers... (Allen's vs. Rufous hummingbirds, look up the descriptions. Sibley says they are virtually identical in the field) :p
    I'm just giving you a hard time. They are similar, but that collar is extremely distinctive for eurasian collared dove. When you see your next mourning dove you'll probably agree.

I agree. The key identifier for Red-tails is the black patagial mark (between the wrist and the head on the leading edge of the wing). No other light hawk has that distinctive mark. On hawks with dark wings (dark morphs, for example), obviously that area is dark anyways, so you have to go on other clues, but generally speaking check for the patagial mark for red-tailed hawks.

And I don't know what is going on with that second image you posted from Google, but the smaller bird in the picture is the sharpie but the larger bird is definitely a red-tail, NOT a red-shoulder. BE CAREFUL with google image searches. People don't always ID the birds named in the picture correctly. Do your best to go off the guide if you can.

Here's a red-shouldered hawk, for comparison:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  12. Jan 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Bilstein Shocks under bed lighting all weather mats window rain guards bed mat
    a lady my wife works with took this photo, See has some really nice photo's

BaldEagle_zps7aca78c8_ba991cbe7508768930e54e3da864f97b78117f63.jpg

Redeemed, DustStorm4x4 and hygieneboy like this.
  13. Jan 13, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    shutterbug

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Downey, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue Tacoma
    What he said.

You will start noticing a HUGE flight difference between Buteos and Accipiters too

14. Jan 14, 2014 at 3:11 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Goddamn, I keep seeing and hearing the cedar waxwings around campus and flying over my apartment but for some reason they're not really stopping by the trees outside. :(

And I don't remember if your ID was ever checked on that last one. Looks like a northern flicker to me. It's definitely a flicker, and the northern one is the only one that occurs up in the Northern states. To confirm, did you see any red on the underside of the wings as it flew?

Edit: just re-checked the guide on different flickers. Northern Flickers have the sharp black crescent patch while Gilded Flickers have a more oval black patch on their breast. Aside from that, the Gilded Flicker range map shows it pretty much only in the Sonoran desert. Red malar stripe is indicative of the Flickers. You've probably also heard the call, it's pretty unique. I can't find any youtube videos of the call I'm thinking of, but it's this really loud, piercing KREE.

Speaking of woodpecker species, this is a really cool video. I've seen it a few times before, but I really like it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_2VrLINP3Y

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Redeemed likes this.
  15. Jan 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Did you get a view of the tail on that accipiter (genus for the first photo)? The two that it could be are Cooper's and Sharp-shinned, but it's definitely an accipiter. I agree with you based on breast and size of the head because sharpies have a smaller head relative to the body than cooper's. It's tough to tell the actual size of the body in the picture, how big are those sticks?
    If you saw the tail, you'd see either a squared-off tail end, indicating sharp-shinned, or a rounded tail end, indicating cooper's.

Nice one on the two different waxwings! I didn't even know there were two...now I want to see one of the bohemian ones! There is a tree with berries outside but for some reason they aren't flocking to it like they have in the past. :(

Look up Townsend's Solitaire in your guide. I think that's the one you can't ID, but I could be wrong.

16. Jan 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    I'd go with Townsend's Solitaire. The wing color pattern, eye ring, overall gray color, kinda short bill, and range map are all right for it.

Hmmmm...Yeah can't tell the tail on that one, but it looks smaller now, so yeah I'd go with sharp-shinned, too.
    Nice birds!

17. Jan 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Two really old and really crappy photos from my time in AK...first the eagles waiting to be fed in Homer and then a couple that were fighting outside of my house up there. they finally gave up once the snow really started to fly

homer_eagle24.jpg
    eagle10.jpg

18. Jan 15, 2014 at 1:48 PM
    MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bucky
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 pyrite mica 4x4
    Snugtop SuperSport
    Today on my deck (so far):

Varied Thrush
    2 Bewicks Wrens
    Northern Flicker
    male Anna's Hummingbird
    American Robin
    European Starlings
    multiple sparrow species
    Steller's Jay
    Black-capped Chickadees
    Chestnut-backed Chickadees
    troupe of Bushtits
    Dark-eyed Juncos
    House Finches
    Pine Siskin

Also another small bird, brown with yellow wingbars and (usually retracted and not visible) yellow crest/tuft on head. Seems bigger than golden-crowned kinglet, and colors very muted, but that seems to be the only thing that fits the yellow on the head

Phone doesnt provide clear/close enough images. Will try to find camera.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  19. Jan 15, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Interesting but not surprising how many pictures of eagles are in this thread already. If anyone would like to shoot pictures of both Bald and Golden Eagles in CONUS some of both winter along the upper Mississippi River even though it is frozen solid now. Although in the winters it can be a bit brutal weather wise. The National Eagle Center in Wabasha, Mn. is worth a visit if you happen to be in the area, which happens to be half an hour NE of me. There are quite a few in the summer of course with a lot more different bird species available then and even more in the spring and fall. Benjamin Franklin wanted the Wild Turkey instead of the Eagle as the national symbol for the US. Glad he didn't win that one myself, they are often outside my living room window. Nasty cell phone camera picture:

turkeys_zpsdba9dcdc_0d490722a1fbaf7a09bde859e07437dd86f1f035.jpg

Almost ready to pull the trigger on a decent camera and a couple of lenses. To say this isn't a cheap hobby is an understatement. When I first started looking at lenses for birding I was shocked. Now some of the same prices have me going hey that isn't a bad price...

20. Jan 16, 2014 at 11:05 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Nice list for a backyard! I'm jealous of all you guys up north with the Chickadees.
    Definitely post up a picture of that other guy if you can. I have no idea what it could be other than a golden-crowned kinglet.

I just listed all of the birds I remember seeing/hearing since the beginning of this year and I'm up to 63 species, 14 of which I added on Wednesday during a class field trip out to the Yolo Bypass wildlife area :cool:
    Gotta look at the pictures I took on that trip...

To Top