1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black alloys in winter?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tundra2tacoma, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    tundra2tacoma

tundra2tacoma [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB SR5
    ProComp 7089 16x8, Cooper Disco AT3 265/75/16, Leer 100XR, Toytech-Eibach/Bilstein adjustable coilovers at 2.5" in the front, Wheelers 3-leaf AAL and Bilstein 5100s in the rear, ImMrYo's rear-view mirror lift bracket, BAMF LCA Skids
    I'd prefer black steelies, but wheelersoffroad is on backorder with no ETA on new inventory for their 16x8 black steel wheels (could be next week, could be 3 months from now). I don't want to grind my calipers, so my next option is flat black alloys like the procomp 7069 or Black Rock 909B. My issue is the winter weather in Pennsylvania and the beating aluminum wheels take here. Any reason to think the flat black alloy wheels will fare better than polished wheels that often last only one or two seasons?

2011 DC LB SR5.

2. Oct 7, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    greenmonstah

greenmonstah The greenmonstah

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black & Green
    18's projector headlight hid 10k fogs smoked out hid 10k LED's everywhere
    I have matt black alloy rims ION197 (18x9), and When I asked the same Q to the company I bought mine from, they said it would hold up well. I have also talked to other people who said any painted rim will hold up with the salts in the winter as long as there are dings or scratches.
    I live in Maine so I'm going with they will be fine.

3. Oct 7, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    Discount Tire Direct

Discount Tire Direct Wheel and Tire Guys Vendor

Member:
    Most alloy wheels have a protective clear coat on them. As long as you clean them often they should hold up fine.

Let us know if we can help you with a set. We guarantee the lowest delivered price on the products we sell and we would love to earn you business. Shipping is also FREE.

To Top