1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black badge success....what do you think?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Robocop, May 22, 2009.

1. May 22, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    Finally after much trial and error I finished my black badges on my tailgate. I am still not sure if I like the black on gray more than the chrome however it is different. I am still deciding if I want to do the Tacoma badges on each door.....what do you think?....Do you think the gray and black looks nice? If I do not like it I may de-badge the entire truck however for now I am seeking opinions. Thanks for any suggestions.

I also left off the small Toyota emblem from the left rear as I am planning to use that inside my grill after my satoshi mod. I am also thinking of adding some of the very small TRD emblems above the Toyota emblems on each door....The ones that are red look pretty good yet again I have not decided how I want to proceed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. May 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM
    Danzer

Danzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad 4x4 AT
    K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Kit.Rear Seat Covers.Rear TSB with 1.5" AAL and OME N182's. Front 5100's and OME 884's.Cobra CB.Painted mirrors, grill and powder coated rear bumper. Trail Gear sliders.
    I'm a big fan of the black badges myself. You should do the doors so it all matches.

3. May 22, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    looks awesome!! do the door emblems as well!

4. May 22, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I am really starting to like the subdued look. At first I did not like it because it did not have enough contrast like the white trucks with black badges. Now that I stand back and take it all in I think it has a kind of "stealth" look to it.

I am doing the doors tonight and will post pics later tomorrow. I am now wishing I had a black rear bumper like comes on the base models. Maybe I can find someone locally to trade with me. Thanks for the opinions on the look.

5. May 22, 2009 at 11:55 PM
    raskal

raskal Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD MGM
    how did you paint those Robocop? They look really good.

6. May 23, 2009 at 2:15 AM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I searched old threads and found as much info as possible first. My first attempt looked good however I did not sand at all and simply washed the badges and applied ahdesion promoter then the paint. The fusion paint seemed to be the best and is what others have used.

When placing the badges back on I did not wait long enough to dry and messed up the finish. I tried to lightly sand the already painted badges and found out that the fusion was good paint however did not really stick very well to the slick chrome badges. I was able to scrape almost all of the first coat off with just my fingernails.

After removing all of the old paint I decided to lightly sand the badges with very fine sandpaper. I then washed them and put 3 very fine misting coats of adhesion promoter with about 20 minutes between each coat. I then applied probably 5 coats of the gloss black fusion with each coat being very light to ensure no runs or drips. I waited about 30 minutes between each coat of paint and let them dry at least 24 hours before handling. The final step was a few coats of clear with another 24 hour drying time.

It was time consuming however the last time it was done right and so far has held up very well. I drove all day today in the rain and then washed my truck after with no problems. The only concern I have would be off roading in heavy underbrush. I still feel the paint could be scratched off if you really tried however for daily use it should hold up well. Once you see how easy this mod is it would be just as easy to touch them up if they ever got scratched or showed wear.....good luck if you should try it.

7. May 23, 2009 at 2:34 AM
    JONNY TACO

JONNY TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA.
    Vehicle:
    DARK METALLIC GRAY -DOUBLE CAB SHORT BED
    ADVANTAGE TONNEAU COVER,TOYOTA BED LINER, POP&LOCK TAILGATE LOCK, SIDE TUBES, WIFE IN PASSENGER SEAT
    I used Rustolaum [sp.] Hammered Black on my skid plate and hitch for a nice look. I have the Magnetic Gray paint job. Anyone else use that paint ?

8. May 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    My door emblems are almost dry and should be on later tonight. For now I am leaving the front emblem on the grill chrome as it matches the surround grill. Ran out of daylight for good photos and will try to add a few of the truck from the side later.

Very easy and inexpensive mod for any who may be looking for a change.

9. May 23, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah I think you should keep them on. And it does look more stealth like with a gray truck! Do the doors to and it would be cool to add a TRD logo on top of the doors like mine.;)

10. May 23, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 F-350 Powerstroke
    pics?

11. May 23, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    WW good to hear from you and I would like to have the same TRD graphics. My doors are complete and it looks very nice however I would like the same TRD emblems as yours. Any idea where I could find some and what size did you use for yours?

12. May 24, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    leo08pirate

leo08pirate Katzo production

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    Oceanside CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner 4.0L
    TRD exaust - Tinted Windows - TRD Intake - Alpine type S speakers
    what did you guys use to attach it again

13. May 24, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    Looks good.. Nice job :headbang:

14. May 24, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Pdopy3 thanks for the kind words and for the record the black badges on red is simply a clean look and much better than factory. White and black will always be classic and when searching old threads the tutorial I followed showed a blue truck (socolax91) with black badges.....this contrast also looked very well done.

I used the 3M molding and trim tape however almost any double sided tape from 3M should be fine. I was suprised to find just a little holds very well however when I had to re-paint mine it came off easier than the factory stuff. It was also much easier to clean the residue left behind so this mod is an easy fix if you mess it up.

I am still debating on going with the decal package from SockMonkey however I will keep this for now and see how I like it. Thanks again for all the input and also to socolax91 for his tutorial.

15. May 24, 2009 at 11:21 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic 09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff...I'm pretty sure
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    Quite possibly, someday...
    Them is damn fine. Good work! :thumbsup:

16. May 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    They look great. Well done.

To Top