1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black rims

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacoma92, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Jul 16, 2010 at 1:22 AM
    tacoma92

tacoma92 [OP] Black Hole Sun

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    Gulf Shores, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Toyota Tacoma
    I have the stock toyota rims on my truck and was wonderin wat would be the best way to paint them black and the paint being able to last?

2. Jul 16, 2010 at 1:25 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJC
    55w HIDs, 16" Countersteer Offroads, Yokahama All Terrains, Demello Sliders
    sand them down real good. clean them up. then spray a few coats of rustoleum black gloss/flat black/ etc.

3. Jul 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJC
    55w HIDs, 16" Countersteer Offroads, Yokahama All Terrains, Demello Sliders
  4. Jul 16, 2010 at 7:20 AM
    2000yota

2000yota Toyota FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Hernando, MS
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport
    powdercoat them. thats the best way

5. Jul 21, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
    [​IMG]

Okay hey this project took me about 5 days to complete. Pretty much a day a wheel, except on one day it was raining and I don’t like to paint with a lot of moisture in the air.

What I did was remove one tire at a time and left my truck on a jack stand while I painted the rim.
    After I removed the tire I washed the rim really well with soap and water to remove any grease or dirt.
    After it dried I began the sanding part. I used a scotch pad (picture attached) one was 60 grit and the other was a 220 grit.(you can use sand paper but I found this the easiest)TIME CONSUMING!!!
    I used the 60 grit first to get most of my clear coat off my rims and to smooth out any imperfections, then I came back with the 220 all the way around to smooth everything out.
    Once you are done sanding you will need to clean it again, I used compressed air and some cheesecloth I had laying around. (you can use pretty much anything but jus make sure all of the dust from sanding is removed)
    Next you will need to tape off the rim from the tire. I used masking tape (picture attached) and garbage bags, Just to make sure you cover everything but the rim. B/c I doubt you want to paint your tires also.
    Then you will put on a thin layer of primer (picture attached) making sure you cover all parts of the rim.
    After your one coat of primer is fairly dry you can start your coats of paint (picture attached)
    Just a reminder the thinner the coats the better making sure you cover all parts of the rim because the last thing you want is runs in the paint.
    On my rims I did one coat of primer and three nice coats of paint for each.
    In between coats make sure the previous coat is dry to the touch before adding another layer.
    I also used a blow-dryer to speed up the drying process between coats

If you have any questions or need any suggestions fell free to pm on Tacomaworld or email me

6. Jul 21, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
  7. Jul 21, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    easy as that

To Top