1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blacking out chrome 18s

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bluewater, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    Bluewater

Bluewater [OP] Big Bruddah

Member:
    Kailua-Kona Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Speedway blue 06 TRD Sport 4x4, 4dr, Long bed
    K&N Replacement filter, 3" leveling kit, Chrome side steps. Mud flaps removed.
    Thinking about blacking out my chrome 18s. The upkeep is crazy especially here in Hawaii with all the salt in the air. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on Paint and prep before I get started.. If it starts to sound to crazy I'm sending it to the powder coat shop..

2. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Search for painting rims and you will find tons of threads on this.

3. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Best to get them powder coated. Will last longer. Have you considered black chrome?

4. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    Priddle

Priddle And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I had an 03 Tacoma with the TRD alloy 16" wheels. I bought the wheels used from Tennessee. They were in really good condition. One year in Newfoundland did the job on them (salt in air). It wasn't bad but enough to piss me off. I even had them off that winter and stored. Anywho, the following year I had them sandblasted and powdercoated to the color of my choice...I stuck with silver which looked close to the original alloy color. After 6 years, they were still mint minus the odd ding. It cost $400 but was worth it.

5. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    Powder coating doesnt stick well to chrome. Sand the crap out of them with a mild grit until there are NO shiny spots. Use 3-4 of adhesive promotor, coats of wheel primer, 3-4 coats of wheel paint, and 4 coats of clear coat. Much cheaper than powder coating anyway

6. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This. If you have access to a large enuf sandblasting cabinet...I'd give that a try. You more or less need the chromeing completely stripped off.

7. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    hemitruk

hemitruk Old man , young boi truk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Sport,
    A few
    Muscle car tv on spike tv used house of color addhesion promoter.Said was the only adhesion promoter that he tried that worked on chome with out chipping.After he sanded down good he used the adhesion promoter then painted.

Products Discussed in

To Top