1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blank Dash Switches Question on Removing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1BlkT, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Apr 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    1BlkT

1BlkT [OP] Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    Below is a picture of how my Hella's behind my grill are wired. Well I finally upgraded to a better switch and would like to place the switch in the top center blank moving that blank down to where the green switch is currently. My question is how do I gain access to that top row of blanks? I know they pop right out because I did it for the bottom row but I'm not sure what it entails to reach the top row. Any help is appreciated!
    [​IMG]

2. Apr 29, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Same way you would with the bottom row.

3. Apr 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Just reach up right under the AC vent pipe and just feel around

4. Apr 30, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    1BlkT

1BlkT [OP] Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    Do I need to take the dash apart to get up there? I'm reaching up through the hole where that cubby is but I'm hitting something. Even if I do feel it I don't know how I would be able to wire it without seeing it.

5. Apr 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    lsocoee

lsocoee My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm not sure how to remove it, regarding the wiring-You would wire it outside the dash and then push it back in.

6. Apr 30, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    It's kind of a pain to get behind the upper row of switch blanks. To make it easier, I removed the lower dash like in the DTRL mod. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/1475-05-drl-daytime-running-lights-install-oem.html

Then you have to reach up and behind the blank switches. There is a horizontal separator (or something) in the way that you have to reach around. I think you've mentioned it earlier. It's possible to get your hand behind it, it's just not very comfy.

You can also feed a piece of wire or string down through the top switch row (once you've removed one of the blanks) and carefully pull your existing wiring up to the top row of blanks. Then you can reconnect your switch outside of the dash and easily put it back in.

To Top