1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blind Bulldog...

Discussion in 'Pets' started by TurboGT, Apr 12, 2016.

?

Would you adopt? Assume my vet says unlikely that the eye injury will be a future issue

1. Yes

2. No

3. See my comment

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Apr 12, 2016 at 2:33 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    IMG_0194.jpg

daughters bully got a bee sting...These dogs are prone to be allergic and have skin issues. They are not a dog to put outside and forget about.

2. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:05 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT [OP] Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    I'm not trying to be cynical, sarcastic or anything else here, but just where would you consider getting a dog from? Aside from the local Humane Society... I've always heard:

• Don't get a pet from a pet store
    • Don't get a pet from a big box store either
    • (now) Don't get a pet from a breeder
    Craigslist no longer does pet adoptions there, least none that are easy to find... and the local paper isn't anything but breeders advertising their newest litter. Breeders also advertise on sites like Petfinder.com too.

I have tried a couple of dog rescue organizations (NW Boxer Rescue & Bulldog Haven NW... yeah, my tastes vary lol), but they are asking $500+ for their younger dogs/puppies, and that's IF they even have them.

Like I said... I've been to the breeder's farm, and seen/met all their dogs, although this was back in October before this litter). They have detailed information on their website about all their dogs, where they've come from and all. They've been up front with me and honest about their policies and how they care for their dogs, and before all this they were willing to work with me on adopting one of their dams they were considering retiring. If that's not a breeder worthy of buying from, then I'm not really sure who is :(

3. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:07 PM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    I'm not trying to argue it out with you. I wouldn't get a dog from a breeder, you asked opinions that's the opinion. Good luck.

4. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I don't see what the issue would be with a reputable breeder.

jayuu likes this.
  5. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:20 PM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    He was just stating his opinion... I don't think there's anything wrong with it. My question was just more about where he WOULD get a dog/pet from.

Still waiting on a phone call from my vet... damn work schedules... why couldn't the new owner be more like the old owner (rarely in the office and always available to call lol)

6. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    That pretty much goes for all dogs with white fur. I've had a few dogs (Pits, Chihuahua's, mutts) and all of them had some allergy and was very prone to getting sun burns.

7. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:34 PM
    2014Sport

2014Sport A little good, a little bad, a little crazy

Member:
    Hi Mr TurboGT. I think you are smart for doing your homework before you make your decision and I would love to see you bring him home BUT...I don't think it would be fair to bring him home with contingencies. There are already too many people who think they can just change their mind about a puppy because it's not a puppy anymore, or it got sick, or who know what.

You asked for opinions, here's mine. Do whatever homework you want but if you make the decision to bring that beautiful little creature into your life do it with "for better or worse, till death do you part" in mind. And as far as him being blind in one eye maybe it's a concern for you but it will never be a problem for him. Of all the animals in the animal kingdom, there isn't another that works harder or is better at adapting to people than a dog. To a dog, nothing is a big enough problem to get in the way of their devotion and their unconditional love of their family :).

I hope you make a Blessed decision.

Lord Helmet and TacoMEDIC like this.
  8. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:39 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    There are so many dogs in shelters who need homes. Dogs from a breeder have a much higher chance of being "adopted" but do whatever you want man, my husky was not adopted and she is my 2nd dog that has half a tail. Makes them unique
    image.jpg

RNJNKE likes this.
  9. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:39 PM
    ToyoCoMo

ToyoCoMo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DP
    Banks of the Mississippi River
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    I have two German Shepherds. The first one I got from the hood, and she was in very bad shape for a puppy. It cost a lot of money to get her healthy, but I promise you I do not regret getting her for a second regardless of the money. Good luck with your decision OP.

2014Sport likes this.
  10. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:42 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    I'm going to adopt a gsd one day soon

11. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:49 PM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    Him being blind is not the problem or my concern (actually him being blind in one eye is a positive quirk... I'm half deaf, kind of, and would LOVE to put a vinyl sticker across my window saying "Deaf leading the blind")... My concern is will the eye injury require extensive vet care down the road, and if so, will I be able to afford said KNOWN required care. I totally get that dogs will have unexpected vet costs, and that I know is something that I will have to deal with as it comes up. But if Duncan (yeah, I think I've already come up with a name for him LOL) is going to require $x,xxx,xxx amount of medical costs over the next x amount of years, and that cost is beyond my means, then for the sake of the dog I'm going to pass on the dog in hopes that whomever does get him has the means to take care of him properly. Hence my impatience of waiting to hear from my vet :goingcrazy::tumbleweed:

On the flipside to that, if Duncan isn't going to require extensive vet care due to the injury, then that little fat bastard will be coming home with me ASAP

I've only had one dog of my own, although I've been around family dogs my entire life, and never once have I/we gotten rid of a dog because of the costs involved. I get attached to dogs WAY too easily... even if it's not my dog (I dated someone last summer that clearly wasn't going to work, but I'm still friends with her largely cuz I love her dog :))

BYJOSHCOOK and 2014Sport[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:52 PM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    My 1yo bloodhound has torn apart numerous things in my house. socks, shoes, irrigation systems, she even went to town on her own toilet area I built for her. We've spent tons of money training, boarding, doggy play days, vet bills, toys, treats, etc.

Does she slobber so bad you have to run away from her when you have fresh clothes on? Yes.
    Can she over power you in your own god damn bed sometimes? Yes.
    When she eats does more end up in her ears and floor than her stomach? Yes.

If I don't wash my windows after she's in the truck I can almost hear the window motor bog down trying to fight through all the slobber if I roll them down.

Is it worth it? Yes. It was worth it the first day I brought her home and it's good to know I have years to go with her in the family.

Do it.

13. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:56 PM
    TacoMEDIC

TacoMEDIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 JKU Rubicon
    You've already named him Duncan... Go pick that little guy up. He needs a home and you're obviously attached. Do it.

RedbirdsTaco and 2014Sport like this.
  14. Apr 12, 2016 at 3:58 PM
    2014Sport

2014Sport A little good, a little bad, a little crazy

Member:
    Sorry Mr OP, I didn't mean to judge. I understand your concern :). I hope whatever decision you make is Blessed :D.

Lord Helmet likes this.
  15. Apr 12, 2016 at 4:05 PM
    PaulK

PaulK Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
    Reputable breeder is an oxymoron.

16. Apr 12, 2016 at 4:06 PM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    no need to be sorry... I'm looking for feedback and that's what I'm getting. I don't care if you did judge me either... because everyone does, it's built into human nature/psychology.

[​IMG]

17. Apr 12, 2016 at 4:12 PM
    Kaerntner

Kaerntner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 doublecab limited 4×4
    Cute guy.May be blind in one eye....I'd get him and call him Popeye. Kind of looks like him

18. Apr 12, 2016 at 4:38 PM
    TacoMEDIC

TacoMEDIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 JKU Rubicon
    Excellent!

19. Apr 12, 2016 at 5:13 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...
    This is a perfect reason to get one. Look at dah face!

20. Apr 12, 2016 at 5:16 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...
    Well said!
    OP just have to remeber "to you he's only part of your life but to him your his whole life"
    If you do it go 100% and don't look back, you won't regret it in most cases so it's worth a shot

2014Sport[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top