1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Block Heater

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ICU1, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Dec 20, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    tacomadeadhead

tacomadeadhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    i just got my heater in the mail today, i had to file one of the sides because it did not fit , i cant see where the spring clip hooks to , there doesn't seem to be a spot for it , ill have to look tomorrow because its getting dark to see out side , but i did plug it in for tonight to see if it makes a difference, i got mine from NAPA, $40. e-trailer wanted $80, but they had a special going for $55. so last month i placed a order , since the other day it still was on back order , so i cancelled the order and got it within two days from NAPA

2. Dec 20, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    DanoT

DanoT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria, B.C in summer. Sun Peaks, B.C. in winter
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD 4X4 AC OR 6M/T
    I also have a Kats block heater on back order with etrailer but when I checked NAPA online they did not have part #KH 11813 or offer any other 2019 Tacoma specific block heater just universal pads or lower rad hose heaters.

What year is your Tacoma and do you have a NAPA part #?

3. Dec 20, 2019 at 10:25 PM
    tacomadeadhead

Member:
    What year is your Tacoma and do you have a NAPA part #?

2016 tacoma i checked NAPA online, theres the part number , they have them ready to ship

CARTRIDGE HEATER
    Part #: KAT 11813
    Qty: 1
    $39.99

4. Dec 21, 2019 at 4:58 AM
    skidooboy

skidooboy titanium plate tester

Member:
    central lower mich
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Sport OV Tuned, Cement
    dd light bars, trd cat back exhaust, KDMax tuned, trd skid plate, 2" lift, sema wheels toyo open country at3 tires.
    had my local mech shop order a kat from napa, arrived the same day, local warehouse stock. Ski

5. Dec 21, 2019 at 7:01 AM
    Camerasandcoffee

Camerasandcoffee 900hp short of 1000hp

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Racine WI.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Trd Sport
    Relentless Fab hybrid bumper, 2.5” Dobinsons IMS lift, RCI skids and sliders, block heater. Rola rack. Painted FJ Steelies. Was trying to keep it stock, now slowly building for the Wisconsin trails.
    Go look at my installation post again. I added some photos of where the spring clips to. You can see it from the side of the engine compartment if you look under the brake booster.
    I had to bend my clip forward a touch to get it to lock in.

6. Dec 21, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    tacomadeadhead

Member:
    i cant see it from my wheel well, theirs a rubber splash guard in the way , im not gonna try to take it off in this cold temperature because you no it will tear i got underneath and checked to see if it moved or came out and it didn't , so maybe when my brother in laws lift is available ill put it up in the air and check it then

7. Jan 4, 2020 at 2:52 PM
    mthew96

mthew96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mathew
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma TRD sport access cab 6 speed
    Bilstein 5100 kit and 1” spacer 265/70r17 duratracs BHLM DRL mod anytime fog light mod stubby antenna TRD shift knob LED tail lights TRD cat back exhaust
    So I ordered an oem block heater for my truck off eBay that came from a Toyota dealer ship that had an online eBay store for selling parts. The part number is PU140-00913US-2 at least that’s what’s on the box I think the real part number is just PU140-00913-2. Now before anyone goes why do you need a block heater in mass. I spend weeks on the Canadian border snowmobiling where the truck is in sub zero temps and doesn’t get driven for up to two weeks at a time until it’s time to head back.

Anyways Iv done a lot of searching around and reading about these block heaters getting ready to do mine and it seems the information and the availability of the parts is not so great. My local dealer told me there isn’t even a block heater for my truck. That he has no part numbers and couldn’t find anything. And every single part number I found online, he came up with nothing in his system all like 4-5 of them.

So I’m looking for some help or any info about these block heaters. I was always under the assumption these block heaters for the 4.0l v6 were 400 watts. However the one I received from the eBay Toyota dealer is 202 watts and when I inquired with the seller about he talked about the recall starting fires and what not and assumed that this is the new style as he has no others in stock so there couldn’t be a mix up of parts. But from what iv read the recall was based around the cord and the element was the same. But I could be wrong.

So I guess my questions are is it true that the recall has to do with the 400 watt element and that it is no longer available?

Does anyone have any more info about the recall in general?

Do you think the 202 watt heater would be worth installing and using? I was a little concerned that the 400 watt one wasn’t enough and am worried that the 202 watt will be nothing more then a waste of electricity.

If I should avoid the 202 watt heater element then does anybody have any part numbers for the 400 watt version or know anywhere to get it. I’d prefer the oem part opposed to aftermarket. I may prefer to just get the 400 watt one for peace of mind anyways. Technically it should be twice as strong. And right now I still have the option of returning my current one to eBay seller.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Doobfucious and VB25 like this.
  8. Jan 19, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    Doobfucious

Doobfucious I get it. It ain't makin' me laugh but I get it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Doobie
    WNC -> Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR DCSB 6MT
    Stock AF. My 68 Bronco and 2000 2.5RS get the mods.
    Quoted to sub and to say what's up from a former Adams, MA kid! Spend much time around Greylock? My sister went up to see my grandmother last week and I had her stop by Val's and bring some treats back for me. https://i.imgur.com/meoYcLw.jpg

Not to derail the thread, I'd really like to pick one up for my own various reasons, location aside. I prefer a toyota solution since my truck is still under warranty but I'm open minded (katz) if that can't work out here in the US.

mthew96[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 20, 2020 at 9:15 AM
    mthew96

mthew96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mathew
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma TRD sport access cab 6 speed
    Bilstein 5100 kit and 1” spacer 265/70r17 duratracs BHLM DRL mod anytime fog light mod stubby antenna TRD shift knob LED tail lights TRD cat back exhaust
    Hey there! I ended up settling on a oem Toyota block heater that I was able to source on eBay. The first one I bought was the newer part number that only comes in 202 watts and I actually ended up returning that one and purchasing from a different seller that has the 400 watt version. It’s an older part number but I wanted the extra power. And even the 400 watt works okay. I wouldn’t mind if it had more power.

Iv been using mine even at my house when the temps are in the 20s and teens and it makes the morning warm up quicker and less idling and fuel wasting. Sometimes after 4 hours of running the heater the engine temp is 100 degrees before I start the truck. But when it starts really getting into the low teens I see 75 degrees or so on coolant temp before starting the truck.

If your gunna buy one I can send you the link or hook you up with the seller I got mine from. I think he still has a few left. The install I did with the oem part I purchased was smooth and easy it fit right in and worked like a charm. Iv heard some issues with the Kats ones needing to be filed or some sort of material removed in order to get it to go into the hole. So be aware of that if you go with the Kats and if you want the oem one lmk and I’ll get you that info. It’s 75$ and if your location charges tax on eBay it’ll be 79$

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Brostjoe likes this.
  10. Jan 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    DanoT

DanoT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD 4X4 AC OR 6M/T
    My KAT #11813 dry cartridge block heater arrived the other day (after the cold snap ended), $72Cdn from Amazon.com and 400watt. My indy mechanic charged me $50Cdn to install.

It is now above freezing so no real chance to plug it in.

11. Jan 27, 2020 at 3:27 PM
    Brostjoe

Brostjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DCLB
    Anyone with pictures of OEM block heater installed? Just got a quote from the dealer in Canada. $175 parts and $150 labour.

12. Jan 27, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    DanoT

DanoT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD 4X4 AC OR 6M/T
    The standard Canadian dealer installed price is $455. That is with the fancy cord that plugs into the bumper mounted receptacle.

Shveet likes this.
  13. Jan 27, 2020 at 8:12 PM
    Brostjoe

Brostjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DCLB
    for once the dealership quote came in under the normal. I like the idea of oem and it being mounted. Just unable to find any pictures to see what it looks like in the fog lights.

$325 was quote plus tax.

14. Feb 9, 2022 at 8:42 AM
    ColdTaco49

ColdTaco49 Has a well-used member

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off Road DCLB Lunar Rock
    Reviving an old thread, but those of you who have the Kats 11813 block heater, how is it working for you. I’ve read some people have to file it, some don’t. Some say it doesn’t get hot enough

one of the things the dealer recommended for my truck was a block heater, which is odd because they don’t include it with their “winterization” package they add on to all of their vehicles. Obviously this is because Toyota US doesn’t sell them due to the recall. The service advisor told me that and basically suggested I get an aftermarket one.

as far as I can tell, nobody has had any fire issues with these, but fitment issues aside, has anybody had any other quality issues with these?

B83EE3DF-BDB8-4E0A-9BEE-071CAE7A7422.jpg

GRN305L likes this.
  15. Feb 9, 2022 at 3:11 PM
    Camerasandcoffee

Camerasandcoffee 900hp short of 1000hp

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Racine WI.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Trd Sport
    Relentless Fab hybrid bumper, 2.5” Dobinsons IMS lift, RCI skids and sliders, block heater. Rola rack. Painted FJ Steelies. Was trying to keep it stock, now slowly building for the Wisconsin trails.
    Zero issues with mine. I did have to file it slightly. Photos earlier in this thread. My understanding the issue with the factory block heater is it creeps out and can start nearby wiring on fire. I check mine before using it for the winter and have never had an issue.

16. Feb 9, 2022 at 3:55 PM
    ColdTaco49

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    thanks. I was able to grab one at NAPA on my lunch break. I’ll try to throw it in this later this week and see how it works.

17. Feb 9, 2022 at 4:00 PM
    DanoTay

DanoTay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR AC MT
    From what I learned in a thread about OEM block heaters from Toyota Canada, the fancy through the bumper extension cord overheating was one cause of fires and the other was possibly improper installation.

I have the KATS aftermarket 400watt block heater from etrailer. I inquired to etrailer about fires and the KATS heater part # 11813. Here is the response from etrailer:

"The parts sold here at etrailer.com are a part of the after market world and not associated with the OEM parts that you would obtain at Toyota in any way. If there were a recall on a product sold here at etrailer.com the manufacturer would notify us of the issue and we would review our sales records to reach out to each of our neighbors. To our knowledge there is no known recall available for the Kat's Heaters block heater that you've mentioned".

I plug my KATS block heater into a timer and it only goes on for 3 or 4 hours max.

18. Feb 9, 2022 at 4:16 PM
    ColdTaco49

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the insight. This looks almost identical to the one I installed in my 2nd Gen Tacoma, and I was able to get that one snapped in place from the top. I’m going to try my luck going in from the top on this first so I don’t have to remove my TRD Pro skid plate I just put on. Also, my wife is starting to get jealous of how much time I’m spending with my truck and all the “gifts” I keep buying for it.

Kolter45 and doublethebass like this.
  19. Feb 1, 2023 at 11:02 AM
    Kolter45

Kolter45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport, 2015 Inferno 4Runner
    Toytec Boss Leer/Rhino Rack TRD Wheels/Falkens
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Camerasandcoffee likes this.
  20. Feb 1, 2023 at 4:09 PM
    Kolter45

Kolter45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport, 2015 Inferno 4Runner
    Toytec Boss Leer/Rhino Rack TRD Wheels/Falkens
    anyone have a timer recommendation to use with my kats block heater?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top