1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blower motor squeal. rrrgh

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hockeyfan, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Dec 22, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nigel
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    08 BSP Double cab TRD
    Borla cat back exhaust
    I know some of you on here have had issues with the infamous blower motor squeal. I'm curious what other people have gone through. I took my taco in just before the comprehensive coverage ran out to get a new blower motor installed which they did without any hastle. The thing is, three months and 5000 kms later i'm bringing the truck back with the exact same issue! anyone else had a similar experience? I can't beleive that the fan kicked the bucket in 3 months.:eek::eek: the guy at the service dept. tells me that toyota has apparently made a slight change in the design on the fan to help, and says that he has seen one truck (tacoma) come back in as little as a month and a half! apparently this is also an issue in the sienna aswell? such a small, but hugely annoying problem on such a gorgeous truck!

2. Dec 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I've been meaning to take mine in to get it fixed. It drives me nuts. Makes me want to put my boot through the dash on long drives.

3. Dec 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    Hockeyfan

Hockeyfan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nigel
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    08 BSP Double cab TRD
    Borla cat back exhaust

Haha... till then:headbang: i'm crankin' up the tunes!

4. Dec 23, 2010 at 1:51 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Not really an option for me becuase I have a young child.

I have a new one on the way and its covered under warrenty.

5. Dec 23, 2010 at 2:11 AM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    I just covered that bearing in white lithium grease, no problems for a few months now. Any other lubricant was giving me a few weeks of no noise.

6. Dec 23, 2010 at 3:14 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Greasing it with Lithium is a temporary solution; I did that and the noise came back stronger in 4 months. Bottom line, the blower fans in these trucks suck. You'll be replacing the fan annually unless Toyota comes up with a viable solution. The new TSB is worthless too. I had a new desing model installed and crapped out in 6 months. I ordered an aftermarket replacement off of Amazon hoping it will be better than the piece of crap OEM Delphi made one in our trucks.

7. Dec 23, 2010 at 3:16 AM
    Tckwarrior

Tckwarrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Damascus OR
    Vehicle:
    08 RegCab Superwhite
    3 inch revtek lift,American Eagle 197 Black Wheels 17x9 Boltpattern 6x5.5 , 285/70/17's with BFG km2s U-haul class 3 tow hitch, Better built toolbox. Trail-gear 58 inch Rock-sliders
    x2

8. Dec 23, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    mine was replaced under warranty last year for the squeal. and now a year later it is squealing again. i think this is ridiculous. i never had so many problems with my 99' this will be my last toyota.

9. Dec 23, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    ::childstoy::

::childstoy:: Hi-Tech Rednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.
    My 08 did it and my 2010 does it.... Has since the day I bought both of them.

She looks pretty though.... :D

10. Dec 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    I have had mine replaced under warranty and now that one is bad. Just under 40K miles on the truck, out of warranty and I'm living with the noise for now. Will most likely get the one off of Amazon once the noise pisses me off enough.
    Toyota quality seems to be really slipping. My next vehicle will NOT be a Toyota. I've bought 3 in a row... time for something that has quality like Toyota USED TO!!!

11. Dec 23, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Unfortunately Toyota has decided to outsource it's parts procurement to companies like Delphi, who make parts for GM, so Toyota will be plagued by some of the same nit noid issues GM has/had. Toyota's quality has gone down since the 90's; we'll see if they live up to their promise to restore the quality. It has nothing to do with made in Japan either. Check out the new 4 Runner; which is made in Japan. There are issues with cheap feeling and lack of quality with the interior. Unfortunately, the Tacoma really does lead the Mid size segment as nobody wants to compete because the market is too small for the mid size truck and the profit margin is negligible. I'm surprised Hyundai or Kia hasn't attempted to throw their hat in the ring in trucks.

Ford has made great strides, but I had a bad experince with my old Ranger and it'll take me a little bit to go back; same with GM....forget Chrysler.

12. Dec 24, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    MJG

MJG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    North Bay
    Kenwood Nav system, Sub, etc
    I've replaced this fm motor twice under warranty. This third one is the WORST. I'm ready to sell the fn truck..chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh F me...is a quiet fan the holly Grail in engineering now..WTF

13. Dec 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
  14. Dec 24, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i thought i had that problem til i found my passenger side mirror was loose.tightened it up and no chirping.go figure

15. Dec 24, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    I took the cover off and then the motor out and cleaned it with MAF cleaner and no more squeaks or noises.

16. Dec 27, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    RedYoter10

RedYoter10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Clifton, Maine
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 access cab 2.7
    Bilstein 5100's, 265/75/16's, LCE header.
    Toyota has the second one for me on order right now. I guess if this next one squeaks, then I will consider some different options. I definetely not ready to throw in the toyota towel yet. This is my first Toyota after growing up with a long line of chevys. My last truck was a 2000 gmc sierra, I had it less than a year due to all the issues I had with it.. Electrical, nutless v8 that drank gas, soft gm automatic trannies, and did i mention electrical!!

17. Jan 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    captain72

captain72 Active Member

Member:
    SE Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC Off Road
    Borla exhaust, 285-75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ on Moto Metal 955, Low Range 3" kit and TSB
    Same issue here. Brought mine in for the second time for the noise. This time they said there is a TSB on the issue. Apparently the TSB has do do with a component of the blower motor. They had a blower in stock and were going to replace it but the service advisor wanted to hold off and wait for this mystery component because he knew I'd just return with the same problem even with the new motor. I'll know more next week when I get it done and I'll try and get the TSB or at least the invoice to see what was changed in addition to the blower.

Products Discussed in

To Top