1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blowing "IG1" fuse

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Pitbullhunting, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Pitbullhunting

Pitbullhunting [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Work in progress
    Please help if you can. Every time I place truck in reverse, it blows this 10 amp fuse. I have tried unpluging the trailer harness, and tail lights. With no luck. This fuse operates the shift indicator on the instrument cluster, blinkers, shift lock, and the A/C compressor switch. I even changed back to the original istrument cluster, thinking it could be in there. No luck!! I haven't done any type of mods to this circuit. Would a bad reverse switch cause this? :mad:

2. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Maybe a bad reverse light switch?

3. boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Did you ever find the reason you kept blowing the IG1 fuse? I have the same problem with my 2011 tacoma.......only have 657 miles on it.Any suggestions?
    No add ons yet.

4. khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Find it yet?
    If you have the backup camera.. Did a wire get pinched in the harness back at the tailgate maybe?

5. caribe makaira

caribe makaira Lurker No More

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    10A IG1 = handles all that follows....

ABS (w/ VSC), TRAC, VSC, Auto LSD, Downhill Assist Control and

Hill–Start Assist Control

ABS (w/o VSC)

Accessory Meter

Air Conditioning

Back–Up Light

Charging

Combination Meter

Cruise Control (1GR–FE)

Cruise Control (2TR–FE)

Electronically Controlled Transmission and A/T Indicator (1GR–FE)

Electronically Controlled Transmission and A/T Indicator (2TR–FE)

Engine Control (1GR–FE)

Engine Control (2TR–FE)

Headlight

Multi Mode 4WD and Rear Differential Lock

Power Outlet (115V)

Rear Differential Lock (2WD)

Seat Belt Warning

Shift Lock

SRS

Tire Pressure Warning System

Trailer Towing

Turn Signal and Hazard Warning Light

So good luck in verifying all them circuits...:(

6. brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Roseville, CA
    Vehicle:
    I own a tank
    He doesn't need to verify all the circuits. Its already very obvious that the reverse light is blowing the circuit. According to your post caribe, the camera is not on the same circuit so that can be ruled out. Don't overthink the discrepancy. Its cut and dry. Nothing else in your list is being used or actuated even... when he puts the vehicle in reverse.

You are getting a short to ground on the reverse lights. Pull the light bulbs out of the sockets, put a meter on the positive side of both lights measuring continuity to ground. I promise you will find a ground where you shouldn't. I'm pretty sure they'd have to be wired in parallel, so you should feel the ground on +/- of BOTH light sockets. If you don't, try pulling both light bulbs out, then putting it in reverse, see if it still blows, you could just have a random one in a million light bulb that shorts the system, pretty far fetched though.

Send me a PM if any of you guys have any questions or further issues.

btw, reading through your post again, I doubt any of the 'shift indicators' on the instrument cluster could blow a fuse of that size. Anything in that cluster would probably burn up before it blew that few.

To Top