1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blown Head Gasket 19k

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by leochup, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    AzPrerunner05

AzPrerunner05 Desert Rat

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2005 V-6 SR5 PreRunner Debadged
    De Badged, Flowmaster 50 Muffler & Dual Out Exhaust. K & N High Flow Filter. SP Racing Slotted Rotors
    They are all right. You got a good enough deal to get a used engine *cough and super charger *cough cough. Plus you basically know just as much about a random one as this one, except you know this one has issues.

2. Dec 15, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    leochup

leochup [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes I knew about the problem before I bought it i figured even if i had to drop a coulple thousand on it, it was still a good deal. TRD supercharger sounds awsome but I'm not ready to spen that kind of money, thanks to every one for your replys. I'll let you guys know if i get lucky and the dealer decides to fix it under warranty, and if that happens TRD S/C for sure :)

3. Dec 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    I just read the owners manual and it clearly states to use Toyota Super long life coolant...OOORRRR....Similar High quality ethylene Glycol-based, non silicate, non-amine,non nitrate, and non borate coolant. (which is standard coolant)

Go to the dealer and fight...theyll have to give in...

4. Dec 17, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    leochup

Member:
    update flushed oil, and radiator a few times replaced with new toyota fluids took it to the dealer, they said that they can't get the engine to overheat, saying it has bad spark plugs, told them to go ahead and replace, and see what they say when they pull them out!

5. Dec 17, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    I am pretty sure if dealer finds something that will deny a warranty work, they will report it to the warranty company immediately so even if you put it back and take it to a different dealer, they will know what you did. It sucks, but they got this thing all figured out.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 17, 2009 at 2:34 PM
    leochup

Member:
    they performed a coolant pressure test for 40 min and it didn't loose any pressure, they put new spark plugs and say it running lika a champ. I asked them how a car with 19k miles would have bad spark plugs and he said maybe because it wasn't driven enough or it sat there for a long time. I'll pick it up tomorrow drive it for a long period and report back, i guess if it has anymore problems I'll keep bringining back 'till the finnaly fix it

7. Dec 17, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    If the plugs aren't the answer, I would very seriously review my owners manual - especially the section describing the approved types of coolant for use in the engine. As stated above (Yoytoda), you aren't limited to the Toyota coolant. I don't think they have a leg to stand on to deny warranty personally. I think the original owner gave up too soon - unless there is more in the vehicles history than meets the eye.

8. Dec 17, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    The VIN is most likely flagged in the corporate database. Otherwise known in dealerspeak as "8 balled". No matter where you go standard protocol is to run a DCS report for any warranty work. As soon as the service writer pulls the report it will show as a status "8" vehicle or whatever Toyota uses. Any and all warranty MUST have prior authorization from corporate. The only exception would be a safety recall.

Something happened to this truck, abuse, neglect, to have the VIN flagged by Toyota.

9. Dec 17, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    leochup

Member:
    I doubt freeze since it was the middle of july, when they told him about the blowned head gasket,
    I just hope it wasn't a sell scam to try to make him to trade his car for a new one since it says in records: that they had to cut new keys since sell department lost it after apraising vehicle for trade in.
    Pretty Shitty of them if thats the case, but very good news for me...
    Will see, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this really fixed the problem, but when it sound to good to be true it ussually isn't.

10. Dec 17, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    If throwing new plugs in it and a little tune up at the dealer is all it took to fix this then you got a hell of a deal!

11. Dec 18, 2009 at 11:48 AM
    leochup

Member:
    Update: Got my truck from the dealer today put 25 miles on it no problems, they're dignostic was: Bad gas, and Spark plugs no coolant leaks after pressure test no overheating, no water in the oil.. I'm going to drive it for the weekend and report back!

12. Dec 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Dang, you might just be the luckiest dude on here to score an almost new Taco for that cheap. Congrats :headbang:

13. Dec 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    subscribed

14. Dec 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I'm surprised they didn't do the leakdown test from the beginning.

15. Dec 18, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    It don't make no sense.:confused: If all it needed was plugs and gas why didn't the dealer the other guy brought it to fix it ? This whole thing is WEIRD :eek:
    If that's all it took you stepped in sh-t and came out smelling like a rose. :D
    Good Luck !

16. Dec 18, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    leochup

Member:
    Will see if I can get it to overheat, put another 30 miles and still no issues specially with friday night rush hour. I think the salesman screwed him up to try to convince him to trade it in.

17. Dec 18, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    You my friend should buy a lotto ticket.

Over the weekend fill the tank with gasoline, grab a good buddy or a pretty chick, and get yourself acquainted with your new Xmas gift. Don't go back home until the fuel light comes on.

Hope everything works out for the best.:)

18. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    leochup

Member:
    well not as lucky as I thought, this morning the car was hard to crank up, after it did, it started misfiring chk engine light came on, turned it off looked at the dipstick it was over the max mark with coffe/milky oil, So it defenetly has a head gasket leak. Towing it back to the dealer to see if I can get it pushed through warranty!

19. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    are these engines really that weak? I have blown head gaskets in chevrolets and never cracked a block nor warped the head. I did have a gasket blow in a boat inline 6 cylinder one time and it did burn between the cylinders. Did not discover it until winter so who knows how long it ran that way. Dang thing seemed to run fine too.

20. Dec 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    leochup

Member:
    I guess, I had a 22r engine in a toyota p/u truck that over 10 years of owning blow the head gasket about 3 times and I never damage the engine, I guess it has to do with the aluminium blocks, the wierd part about it is that this engine doesn't overheat!

Products Discussed in

To Top