1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bluetooth problems

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by NorCalTacotío, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Aug 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM
    Comato$e

Comato$e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Chicago,Il
    Vehicle:
    18' MGM OR DCSB
    Same issue here ....sucks

ORtoCOTaco likes this.
  2. Aug 16, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    ericegonz

ericegonz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Method 704 265/75/16 DuraTrac
    Bummer. Sorry to hear it.

3. Aug 20, 2020 at 5:01 PM
    Ptbsjb

Ptbsjb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma
    None
    My 2019 has been dropping calls after two minutes or so. Since this is also my office, it’s been a real problem. My dealer replaced the expansion board, but it still does it. I’m almost ready to trade it in for a different truck. Very frustrating.

ORtoCOTaco likes this.
  4. Aug 20, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    ORtoCOTaco

ORtoCOTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    BodyArmor 4x4 HiLine Winch Bumper, Warn Zeon 10-S, Uptop Bravo Roof Rack, ExtremeLED Super Stealth 40" LED Light Bar, DV8 Offroad 20-Inch BRS Pro Series LED Light Bar, Truxedo Roll-Up Tonneau Cover, Automatic Tailgate Lock, Trailgate panel, cheap Amazon ditch lights.
    Sorry man, when your truck is your office this issue becomes way more personal.

First, what is an expansion board??

Second, when did it start for you? For me I'd say somewhere in the month of July. Never happened before, and I can't get it to stop happening now.

5. Aug 20, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    Ptbsjb

Ptbsjb Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma
    None
    The problems on my 2019 started around April. The dealer said they replaced the expansion board. Not sure what it is but it made no difference.

6. Aug 21, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    ORtoCOTaco

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    BodyArmor 4x4 HiLine Winch Bumper, Warn Zeon 10-S, Uptop Bravo Roof Rack, ExtremeLED Super Stealth 40" LED Light Bar, DV8 Offroad 20-Inch BRS Pro Series LED Light Bar, Truxedo Roll-Up Tonneau Cover, Automatic Tailgate Lock, Trailgate panel, cheap Amazon ditch lights.
    Well I'm super annoyed. I had to make a roughly 2 hour round trip earlier and I had zero issues with Bluetooth. Drove 25 minutes this morning, no issues.

I had to drop some stuff off at home and went out to get food. No issues.

Then, on my way home, which is about 5 minutes, my Bluetooth connection dropped at least 8 times, and I had to manually reconnect each time.

I'm getting really, really irritated with this issue.

On a more positive note, the long round trip today was to pick up my UpTop Bravo rack. Going to enjoy a few beers and build it later.

7. Aug 21, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    1Crusader

1Crusader Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Looked up iphone XS problems and found this.

Method 1: Turning the Bluetooth on and off

1. You can visit Settings from the home screen and choose Bluetooth to turn it OFF.
    2. After waiting for a few seconds you can toggle on the switch to put it ON.
    3. If turning the Bluetooth on and off does not resolve the issue of connectivity, you can go for updating with the latest version of iOS 12.0 to check if it still persists.
    4. For software update, you can visit Settings again and tap on General and select Software Update. After this, you can install the updates in the device easily.

Philrab likes this.
  8. Aug 21, 2020 at 6:25 PM
    1Crusader

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    #1. Turn off Bluetooth and Hard Reset
    The first thing to try is to turn off your Bluetooth and hard reset your iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max by following these steps:

• Turn off Bluetooth by going to Settings > Bluetooth and turning off the Bluetooth toggle.
    • Follow these steps to force reset iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.
      • Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
      • Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
      • Press and hold the Side button
      • 1. Check Bluetooth Device
        The first thing you should do is to the problem is not with the Bluetooth accessory you’re trying to connect to. So try connecting to the accessory with your Mac, PC or any other device, and see if things work fine or not.

#1. Turn off Bluetooth and Hard Reset
        The first thing to try is to turn off your Bluetooth and hard reset your iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max by following these steps:
        • Turn off Bluetooth by going to Settings > Bluetooth and turning off the Bluetooth toggle.
        • Follow these steps to force reset iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.
          • Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
          • Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
          • Press and hold the Side button (Sleep/Wake button) till you see the Apple logo.

• (Sleep/Wake button) till you see the Apple logo.
    [​IMG]
    • Now enable Bluetooth again from Control Center or Settings > Bluetooth.
    Try connecting to the device now. If the problem still isn’t solved, try the next solution.

#2. Forget Device

If the previous tip didn’t work for you, you can try forgetting the Bluetooth device you paired with from Settings, and then try reconnecting:

• Open Settings and go to Bluetooth.
    • Tap on the “i” icon against the device name you’re having problems connecting.
    • Tap on the “Forget This Device” button and confirm your action.
    • Now pair your iPhone or iPad with the Bluetooth device again, and see if the issue has been solved.
    This solution has helped several readers in the past.

#3. Reset Network Settings
    If none of the two tips worked, you could also try resetting your network settings. A side effect of doing this is that all your Wi-Fi settings will also be cleared, so you might have to rejoin Wi-Fi networks, and configure VPN all over again.

Here’s how to reset network settings:

• Open Settings and navigate to General > Reset
    • Tap Reset Network Settings
    • You’ll be required to enter your passcode if you have one.
    • Confirm your action in the popup
    Your iPhone will reboot. Once it starts up, try pairing with the Bluetooth device again. If your problem still isn’t solved, move to the next step.

#4. Restore and Setup as new iPhone
    This is not ideal, but if none of these tips fix your issues, the last resort is to restore your iPhone or iPad via iTunes and set it up as a new device. This way, you start afresh and get rid of possibly problematic customizations and settings on your device. Follow the instructions in the post linked below to do a clean restore your iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max via iTunes.

#5. Visit an Apple Store
    Even after performing all these steps, you’re still having problems, then you might want to visit your nearest Apple Store to know of any possible hardware related issues.

Have you faced problems connecting your iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max with Bluetooth accessories? Let us know in the comments below.

9. Aug 21, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    TacoTaco-BurittoTaco

TacoTaco-BurittoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Stock
    Same here, sometimes I just hold the power button down and shut off the head unit and when it reboots it seems to fix it. Doesn't work every time but some times it does. My 2 cents.

10. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:54 PM
    netman1969

netman1969 Meh!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cookeville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Awaiting my 2024 Tacoma OR, Underground
    None yet, but sure to come!
    I was having this problem months ago and the iOS 13.6 update fixed it, for a little while. Now it has returned. 3 minutes into a call, the bluetooth disconnects. The call is still going on the phone, but it disconnects from the head unit. I suspect this is a problem with the phone vs. the head unit because the bluetooth audio for music works just fine. Seems to me that if it were the headunit, we would maybe experience it with both calls and audio. I dont know, could be way off base on that. Anyone had any luck getting this figured out?

11. Sep 2, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    ORtoCOTaco

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I have some suspicion it may be related to the way the phone syncs data with Entune. I notice a disconnect often when receiving a text.

I turned off all phone and message syncing in the head unit. I had around 20-30 minutes driving today and no disconnects.

I will be running a lot of errands after work the next couple days, and I will be driving around 1,200 miles over the weekend.

If I have a bunch of disconnects when I'm driving 10 hours a day I will not be happy.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and report back my results.

12. Sep 5, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    1Crusader

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    ORtoCAOTaco, ur onto something.

I noticed I had no problems when I was connected to Bluetooth wirelessly and did not have the phone plugged in to the usb port.

The issue only arose when I was connected to Bluetooth and had plugged my phone to charge with the data/charging cable.

ORtoCOTaco likes this.
  13. Sep 5, 2020 at 2:12 PM
    cabotsteward

cabotsteward Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cabot
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD Off-Road
    Here's my experience with Toyota on head units. In November, I got a 2020 Tacoma Off-Road. Great truck, head unit has had many issues, 2 days after getting the truck I reported it to the dealer and it was sent in. They didn't fix it, 5 trips later nothing was fixed. Called Toyota to complain and they scheduled another appointment. Nothing was fixed. Then another 20 or so appointments later I went to another dealer. They saw it twice and has since ordered a new head unit. Toyota wanted to run more tests but my service manager told them they would not be and they are sending a new head unit. Toyota corporate was no help, my first dealer was useless. The only thing the dealer offered was to buy the truck back and get us in a new one, I asked them to find one and they were unable to.

What I have heard causes issues that could help your year not have the issue is turning off syncing contacts and notifications. Worth a try... Otherwise, I would say your SOL until you convince your dealer to tell Toyota to piss off.

ORtoCOTaco likes this.
  14. Sep 5, 2020 at 2:39 PM
    helix66

helix66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DPRC
    Vehicle:
    2017 DclB TRDor MgM
    ProGrille,MesoStuff,Tinted,AllPro sliders, RCI full AL skids, KDmaxPro tune, Demello stealth bumper, Warn evo10s, BD s8 & squadrons

Mine worked great from the start then had random issues when the HU would do an OTA update. One of them messed up the navigation where it would display the stupidest routes and even though it showed three options you couldn't pick any of them, and it would just start going.

A different update created a BT issue where it the phone would ring and it wouldn't show up on the screen, the dealer supposedly updated the HU and deleted all BT profiles and said the same thing.......pair it and with before checking notifications & contacts.
    Whatever they did seemed to have worked but definitely super frustrating, that would have made me change the HU.

2017 w tech/premium audio, iphone8 ios12.4.1 ...a good dealership makes a huge difference

15. Sep 5, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    ORtoCOTaco

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    So hey everyone I said I'd check back in. Did 700 miles today on my way from Colorado to Oregon. The good news is my phone or media only disconnected three times.

The bad news is, it disconnected three times. I was hoping that since I turned off message and call sync, it would not do it.

Oddly one of the three times it did it over 10+ hours happened exactly when a text message came into my phone.

Someone above mentioned contact sync, I'll check to see if I have that turned off as well before I finish my drive tomorrow.

At this point I'm definitely contacting Toyota corporate because it's insane that we're a having this issue and I've seen it being discussed on other sites as well.

My bumper to bumper warranty just ran out last month so I expect no personal remedy, but I'd say let's turn up the heat.

Btw I am on Android 10, Motorola phone, and I've seen other phones and operating systems mentioned here so it really seems to be an issue with Entune.

16. Sep 6, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    mjs2425

mjs2425 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Gray Sport (Sold) Waiting on 2021 MGM Sport
    Same exact issue. I have a 2019 sport with an iphone XR. I have tried everything on this thread with no luck also. I am actually selling my truck to Carvana Wednesday and looking into a 2020 or prob a 2021.

ORtoCOTaco likes this.
  17. Sep 6, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    ORtoCOTaco

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Finished my drive today, another 9 hours or so. I forgot to check this morning about contact sync but the phone disconnected from bluetooth twice, one exactly when a text came in. Argh.

18. Sep 11, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    TacoTaco-BurittoTaco

TacoTaco-BurittoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Stock
    I wanted to give an update; I took my Tacoma into the dealer to get an oil change and asked them to reset the head unit. I explained what has happened (connection problems and replaced the USB plug already) but this time I didn't add my contacts or favorites from my iPhone. The tech even experienced the same issues as me, but they reset the head unit and I haven't had an issue yet (5 days). Maybe it will help someone else out there.

ORtoCOTaco and 1Crusader like this.
  19. Sep 11, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    1Crusader

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Thanks for the update. Seems like I am going to be getting the head unit reset as well because I've tried everything else.

20. Sep 12, 2020 at 9:44 PM
    ORtoCOTaco

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Can the dealership do something to reset it that we can't do ourselves? I'm about due for my 30k oil change/service, I was set on finding a good independent shop that specializes in Toyota but I'd consider the dealership if they have options for this issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top