1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bluetooth steering wheel controls.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rb11701, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Jan 31, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    GT_Charlie

GT_Charlie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sincere thanks to the OP. This is a cool thread! I'm about to do this job on my 2010 Prerunner, and have been trying to find out if the phone controls (right switch) wires were already there. It's nice to know that they are. :)

I'm hoping to get the backup cam in the new head unit's display too (because the rear view mirror display sucks), but that's another google adventure. I'll be happy if I can just get my phone to work with the audio system.

Charlie

2. Jan 31, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    D2.

D2. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma - access cab 4x4 2TR-FE
    Cruise Control install. Intermittent wipers Hood lights Bed Lights Sliders 3" lift 886's on Billy 5100's Icon AAL 285/75 R16 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's
    I've gotten my factory backup cam to work with my Kenwood Head Unit, I'll help ya if i can. Word to the wise, the factory backup cam needs 6v, not 12V

3. Jan 31, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    GT_Charlie

Member:
    Good to know. Thanks!

I'm shopping head units at Crutchfield, and they offer an installation kit that includes a new backup cam that mounts on the license plate. So I guess I'll ignore the one in the rear view mirror (or disconnect it).

Charlie

4. Feb 10, 2018 at 5:01 PM
    GT_Charlie

Member:
    I found all of the parts on-line. The cable is about $30.00, and the switch pad is another $75.00. I'm going to try to source them through a wrecking yard just so I can lay hands on them before I buy.

I gather that the near-year 4Runner parts are the same as my 2010 Taco. Are there any other Toyota vehicles I should look at to find matching parts?

Charlie

5. Feb 10, 2018 at 5:40 PM
    Bocsy44

Bocsy44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    This that and the other thing.
    This is how I got my OEM backup cam to my Pioneer Head Unit:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/oem-camera-connection-below-dash.30889/

and I used this thread for info to install the right hand steering wheel controls in my 09'. I ended up ordering and replacing both sides because I wanted to make sure the illumination matched. I had previously installed the Crux SWRTY-61S steering wheel control module when I first installed my Pioneer HU but it doesn't support BT so I had to switch it over to the PAC SWI-RC.

here is my write up on switching from one to the other:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-to-switch-from-crux-swrty-61s-to-pac-swi-rc.477741/

6. Feb 10, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    GT_Charlie

Member:
    Cool You guys are so helpful that I don't know what to make of it!

Charlie

Bocsy44[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Mar 8, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    the macf

the macf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Daily Driver - 09 RCLB Barcelona Red base, Sold - 08 BSP X-Runner TRD SC 332rwhp
    Saving for 09 base.

8. Feb 5, 2019 at 12:11 AM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    So what happens if a factory cam gets 12v or an aftermarket 12v12v gets 6v?

9. Feb 5, 2019 at 10:40 AM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    I have voice working and call decline but not call answer. Had it installed pro with kenwood x303 head unit. Any ideas what the problem would /could be? Ill open it up to find the module the used for swc retention.

10. Mar 7, 2019 at 3:47 AM
    the macf

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Daily Driver - 09 RCLB Barcelona Red base, Sold - 08 BSP X-Runner TRD SC 332rwhp
    Does anybody know the wiring harness part number that goes from the back of the clock spring to the head unit? Trying to add controls to my 09 base.

11. Mar 15, 2019 at 3:39 PM
    the macf

Member:
    Vehicle:
  12. Aug 18, 2019 at 9:07 AM
    97duc748

97duc748 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    Snugtop, lift, Prinsu Rack and lead foot.
    I was too late. Anyone have a diagram to see what would be needed for adding both left and right sides to a non equiped manual. If anyone has a diagram for a double cab manual trans with either controls i would appreciate the assist

13. Aug 18, 2019 at 2:19 PM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Did you not bother reading anything else in this thread besides the one post from someone selling a steering wheel? Everything you're asking for is already documented. On the first page no less.

the macf likes this.
  14. Aug 19, 2019 at 6:26 PM
    97duc748

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    I think I see the problem. I wrote "either" instead of neither controls. So lets try again, maybe you have the answer I was looking for.

Second attempt on post:
    I have a Manual Double Cab from 07 that did not come with either (NO CONTROLS) at all. Does anyone have a detailed wiring schematic for the versions that came with the wiring in the steering column. I have not cracked open the center column yet but understand that my truck is unlikely to have any wires present. I would like to figure out how to best run wires from the dash to the controls I will need to buy soon with an new airbag. So here are the consolidated questions that I still need to answer:

1) How are the wires run in the column to allow for the steering wheel to turn while not breaking the wires? Is there a different assembly?

2) Where do the wires in the factory equipedgo from the column? Do they just go directly to the HU or are they part of a larger CAN system?

Thanks.

15. Aug 19, 2019 at 7:25 PM
    97duc748

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    Disregard. I found the wiring diagrams. Looks like the spiral assembly and forward are the same. Looks like i need a new airbag too. I will research airbag stuff now. Good luck.

16. May 6, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    prone2xl

prone2xl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver TRD Sport DC
    BUMP this thread from da Dead! Yo. I have a 2008 TRD Sport with them left handed steering wheel controls only. I tried looking at the sites you guys listed but they are not working anymore. Toyota of Dallas TRD4u is closed now due to COVID i'm guessing. the other spot doesn't even seem to exist anymore toyotaworld or toyotapartsoutlet.
    Has anyone found them recently? when I search:
    8424435030b0 I get some showing the right sided controls for the 4runner and some showing some additional cruise control thing with an arm like from mcgeorgetoyota
    Hoping to get some answers. thanks guys.

17. May 6, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    outxider

outxider Never stop exploring. Rest in Paradise Big Bro.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sang
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4x4
    A few mods here and there and counting....
    Another member here install these in his Tacoma a few months ago without issue. I was lucky and found mine used on ebay.

US $46.46 22% Off | For Toyota Highlander Land Cruiser Steering Wheel Controls Switch 75B037
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWOi24h

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. May 23, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    prone2xl

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver TRD Sport DC
    Well just ordered the parts for the Right side audio controls and the cable. Gonna attempt this mod. After spending way too much time researching whether it was worth it to buy a new version steering wheel 2013 as well as an expensive airbag, I decided this was the better move $ wise and for less effort. Of course I prefer the look of the new wheel, but I’ll just wait and save it till I buy my T4R in a couple years. Figure that way maybe I’ll appreciate the upgrade and luxury even more. Can’t pimp this old ride out too much right!? She already just got wireless Apple carplay.

19. May 27, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    97duc748

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    I started with a 2007 TRD Offroad that had the basic radio with no steering wheel controls. What I found out during the installation of upgraded is the following:
    1) my truck had the wiring behind the steering wheel clock spring (3 wires) to the head unit factory installed
    2) I had to replace the clockspring to the model that had factory steering wheel controls (did not matter if it was JBL or not)
    3) the Maestro AR or SW converts the steering wheel controls for aftermarket radios
    4) when upgrading to either left only or Bluetooth controls you will need to have a compatible airbag
    5) steering wheels are the same. ( I purchased a steering wheel with the Bluetooth and left-side steering wheel controls off eBay for the best value though
    6) Maestro ARII cannot be controlled via bluetooth for easy reprograming because they never created an app, do not waste your money.

Good luck

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Jun 3, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    prone2xl

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver TRD Sport DC
    Well damn. Just installed this mod and it basically yielded me no gain.
    My right sided controls do nothing that I expected them to do. I have no idea what module steering controls I have as it was installed a long time ago by Best Buy on my first aftermarket stereo. It’s not the idatalink tho Now basically if u press the bottom Bluetooth button it does some “attenuation” of the sound feature. Something I never use on my Kenwood dmx-906s. Other top phone buttons do something with the channels. And change the mode to something weird. And of course now I got it all back together and it feels like my left sided controls aren’t sitting as flushly relative to the right and slightly protrude a little. Now I’m wondering if they were always that way or if I didn’t fully connect something back in place when I put them back together after connecting the ribbon

long story shirt. I’m not satisfied and I guess I’m gonna have to go to Best Buy whenever if they open back up and try to get this function corrected on my module. Damn. And to think I was so excited. I’d undo it now and look again but it’s about to rain and is humid as hell outside and I don’t wanna go through the unhooking the terminals and shit again right now. Sorry to vent but I’m kinda pissed I even took this on. Lived with it fine for 12 years of the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top