1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bobby's Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds' started by rzimm001, May 18, 2010.

1. May 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Mid-travel
    King 2.5 coilovers w/ resi and adjustable compression. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Light Racing UCA's. Glassworks fenders. DMZ bed cage. King 2.5x14 smoothbody remote resi shocks in the rear. Icon progressive add a leaf 1.5" lift. Race radio (2meter). Removed swaybar. Removed front mud flaps. Removed secondary carbon air filter. Magnaflow exhaust. Phram fresh air cabin filter. Sirius satellite radio. HID headlights high/low beam and fog lights. Remote start system. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo with 10" subwoofer, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, TRD seat covers.
    I should have started this post a long time ago, but better late than never I guess. This will be a work in progress for me as I venture into the crazy world of fabrication. This week I've decided to make the jump from using completely bolt on parts i.e. (my icon lift), to actually cutting and welding on my baby..

With the help of Dellosa89 and some other friends, I will install a DMZ bed cage and 2.5" x 14 remote resi shocks. This setup will be more of an extended mid travel as I call it. The leaf spring is the stock Toyota leaf pack with an Icon 3-leaf add a leaf (1.5" lift). The shocks are FOA brand with upgraded Viton seals and billet caps.

What will be cool about this build is that the bed cage and shocks will be completely removeable for utility purposes. Not only is everything removeable to gain full bed space, but the stock suspension mounts still remain in place and the factory toyota shocks can be replaced for a plush ride. Anyhow here are some of the pics as we installed this DMZ cage.

Before the build
    [​IMG]

Removing the bed. What a bitch! Took us forever to figure out how to remove the gas filler. Finally we figured it out by accident:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cutting begins! We removed the old sleeves off the cage so that new interlocking tube clamps could be installed.
    [​IMG]

Broke the dam cutting blade. DOM steel is tought stuff:eek:
    [​IMG]

Had to resort to old school methods. Atleast it gave clean cuts...
    [​IMG]

Interlocking tube clamps. Allows the cage to be removed for more bed space and to paint or service the bed cage.
    [​IMG]

Dellosa89 tack welding to the frame. Thanks again bro! Couldn't have done it without you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test fitting the shocks. Only thing in the way was the brake lines bracket on the chassis and an abs wire mounting bracket on the axle.
    [​IMG]

And this is as far as we could get in seven hours..:( Sad but true. Mounting a cage is a fair chunk of work, as we found out.
    [​IMG]

The remainder of the welding and getting the shocks mounted will hopefully be completed tomorrow. Come Saturday... Ocotillo! We'll see how this extended mid travel rear end performs. Stay tuned:D

2. May 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 MOT DB DC 4X4 Sr5
    Black Housing Head,H.I.D 10k headlights, 3k Foglights, T-Rex #2 Eyelids Lights, Blacked Out Tails Lights, 5% Tint all around, Tinted Windshield, Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 Inch Lift, K&N Intake,Avidoffroad Light Bar
    Nice But fall on the name of it! Its Build! haha! Going to be sweet!

3. May 18, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Screw your MPG's

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Campbell, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    BHLM, SAW coilovers, Overland Warehouse springs and rear shocks, and Demello front bumper.
    :popcorn:

Where exactly did you pick these items up at, and how much? You can PM me about this. Can't wait to see this puppy fully built and in action!

4. May 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    That was a crap load of work but it will be so worth it, this Saturday is going to be sick.

5. May 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 2.5 coilovers w/ resi and adjustable compression. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Light Racing UCA's. Glassworks fenders. DMZ bed cage. King 2.5x14 smoothbody remote resi shocks in the rear. Icon progressive add a leaf 1.5" lift. Race radio (2meter). Removed swaybar. Removed front mud flaps. Removed secondary carbon air filter. Magnaflow exhaust. Phram fresh air cabin filter. Sirius satellite radio. HID headlights high/low beam and fog lights. Remote start system. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo with 10" subwoofer, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, TRD seat covers.
    I know... my bad. I tried correcting the spelling but it won't change the title. Any idea how to change it?

6. May 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    Dellosa89

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    I think only a Mod can fix it.

7. May 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    mreimann

mreimann vv I think it's growing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 dbl cab 4x4 TRD OR
    Icon C/O, Bilstien 5100, All Pro Expo leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, URD CAI, Magnaflow 40, Custom Built Bed Rack, sliders and skid plate. CBI bumpers front and rear, SmittyBuilt winch. RTT
    cool concept, it gives a whole new meaning to the term "dual shocks":p

8. May 18, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    SoCal, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime
    Thats looks pretty good man.

9. May 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Purchased the bed cage used for $400. The shocks from FOA were $450. Interlocking tube clamps were $72 for all four from polyperformance.

10. May 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Hell yeah! We'll get tons of pics and some videos

11. May 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    Dellosa89

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    For sure man, i was able to get off work also so me and mike can get out there earlier.

12. May 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    I guess you'll have to get the party started without me. I have my TEAS test from 830am to 1130am. Lame...:mad:

13. May 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    Dellosa89

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    Oh well just own the test and play after the test.

14. May 18, 2010 at 10:43 PM
    MarineTacoDriver

MarineTacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cherry Point
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, ATO front/transmission/transfer case skids, Icon ext travel coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, OME Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein/RCD 5100 3-4" lift shock, extended stainless brake lines, DrewFab shackle flip, rear ARB Airlocker, ARB air compressor
    fail on calling him out on the fail ;)

I like the removable cage idea, haven't seen that before

15. May 19, 2010 at 12:27 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, the reason I went that route is because I need my truck everyday as a daily driver. Having a cage and offroad shocks seemed too extreme for my everyday commute. So I looked into bolt on cages and couldn't find anything for our trucks. Well... not entirely true. Giant motorsports makes a bolt on bed cage but you would have to tear off all the stock suspension mounts. I wasn't digging that idea so I came up with this plan. I hope it comes together. Should be worth the effort when it is finished.

16. May 19, 2010 at 12:29 AM
    cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Siiiiiiiiiick

17. May 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM
    James3492

James3492 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    EAST COUNTY
    Black-out Tail lights Painted Rims & Hood Scoop
    You know if you can put a quad on top of that frame or would it look stupid. because i was thinking about getting long travel then putting my quad on the back :) and strapping it down. for the desert.

18. May 19, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    MotoXdoer

MotoXdoer taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    San Luis Obispo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 4.0 a/c beast
    k&n cai 63 series intake, blacked out headlights, blacked out tailights, magnaflow pro offroad 17115 dumped, URD competetion y-pipe, total chaos 3.5" long travel, fox 2.5x8" remote resevoir shocks, allied 4" spindles, toytec 2" AAL, 20% tint up front and 5% rear, satoshi grille, ddm 50w 6000k hid's. wet okole custom trd seat covers with heaters. 4:56 nitro gears with arb rd129 air locker, arb ckmta12 dual air compressor.
    so ur gonna run 4 shocks in the rear correct???

19. May 19, 2010 at 12:40 AM
    cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    So you want to LT your truck so you can jump it with a quad strapped to your frame?

Just to clarify...

20. May 19, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:

Hell yeah it'll be bad ass! lol No no no... Big shocks for dezert and little shocks for the street only. The toyota shocks would limit the travel not to mention grenade trying to hit whoops. The idea was to remove the cage and shocks when I'm not offroading and replace the factory shocks.

To Top