1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Boch Toyota dealer installed backup camera

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by LiquidDragon, May 1, 2014.

1. May 8, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    LiquidDragon

LiquidDragon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Williamsburg, Va but now in the Philippines
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Hilux Conquest 4x2
    none yet
    Well its been several days and now i am just being ignored by the dealership. they had their guy that installed the camera give me a call and he said that he could send me another camera that fits in the tailgate handle but i would still have to splice it into the factory wiring. WTF? When i purchased the truck i specificaly said i wanted the FACTORY backup camera and didnt want to install an aftermarket camera or splice or cut any of the factory wiring. I tried calling back and talking to a manager but all i am getting is voicemails now. FY Boch Toyota!

2. May 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    stphnman20

stphnman20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SCV
    Vehicle:
    2016 T4R
    Use another phone or block your number.

3. May 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Refer back to post 6.

Grow a pair!

4. May 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    steewoz

steewoz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    13 TX Baja
    Liquid Dragon. I had some problems with Prime Toyota just up the road. They gave me the run around for weeks and tried all kind of bs to avoid taking responsibility.

Write down the facts in the order that they happened, with names, dates and the statements that were made (including any information that you feel that they should have conveyed but didn't, like the fact that it wasn't a factory camera and it wasn't $530 and why weren't you refunded at that time) and call toyota corporate. Be friendly and fair with a hint of desperation and you'll have a phone call from Boch management in 45 minutes begging to fix it. Dealerships do not like it when consumers call corporate.

That's exactly what I did and it totally worked. Of course, I can never set foot in Prime toyota again after the hell I raised, but it's worth not getting shat on.

FYI, after I had Prime fix the problems on my FJ, I drove it to Boch and traded it in. They totally sucked too. But I got what I wanted at a decent price.

5. May 13, 2014 at 4:14 AM
    107main

107main Active Member

Member:
    Open your tailgate and look on the bottom to see if there is a plastic cable going into the bottom of the tailgate. If it is present, then all your need is the factory camera. My friend bought a SR tacoma, which did not come with a camera, although the sales brochure said it did with the entune radio. He complained, he got the camera, the factory one, which was a 15 minute...take off the cover, plug it in and go deal. Sales folks will sell you the moon for your truck if you don't watch it..anything for a sale!

6. May 13, 2014 at 4:14 AM
    107main

107main Active Member

Member:
    Open your tailgate and look on the bottom to see if there is a plastic cable going into the bottom of the tailgate. If it is present, then all your need is the factory camera. My friend bought a SR tacoma, which did not come with a camera, although the sales brochure said it did with the entune radio. He complained, he got the camera, the factory one, which was a 15 minute...take off the cover, plug it in and go deal. Sales folks will sell you the moon for your truck if you don't watch it..anything for a sale!

7. May 22, 2014 at 5:02 AM
    tacoshin

tacoshin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    the name of my truck, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Lexus IS250 AWD/2014 Tacoma SR5 4x4 short bed
    Smittybilt step bars, Toyota skid plate, All Pro bed rack w/ tonno pro retrofitted thanks to pushingcasket for helping, trd exhaust 14019 miles
    yes sir definite get your money back i thought all 2014 came with backup cams i know my taco came with it that aftermarket cam looks whack but aisde that i hope you get your money back and make them install a the right one

8. Jun 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    LiquidDragon

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    Okay well it took a while but I finally got the issue resolved. The dealership refunded my money and I ended up finding a stock 2014 backup camera on Craigslist and installed it myself in less than 5 minutes.

9. Jun 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Good for you.. :)

10. Jun 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Man, Boch Toyota is seriously the worst dealer I've ever dealt with. I'm glad you finally got your money back. I had an internet price from them for my Baja last July that was really great. Once I got onto the sales floor (2 hour drive from my place) they tried every stinking dirty greasy car sales trick. I was so angry. They didn't even bother to ask me for a survey after it was done. I got my price but had to work for it. This Tacoma was my 3rd Toyota and never had an experience like this.

Renee was the worst/shittiest sales-guy. I had to meet these guys at a DMV to get CT plates and take possession of the truck a couple days after the sale was finalized. They no showed for 4 hours and then the guy they sent wasn't my shitty sales guy because he didn't have the balls to show up.

They did forget to take proof of CT registration and I told them they could go to hell when they tried to get me to provide it. :) A very small thing, but I did feel a little better and hope they had to pay some extra Mass taxes on the truck.

11. Jun 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    You've clearly never been to Hartford Toyota Superstore then. The place is infested with jag offs.

12. Jun 3, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    LOL, you're right about that. A1 Toyota was really nice, but couldn't get the truck/options/price right. Looking back, I'd have paid the $1000 difference just to work with a great dealership and not those fuckers at Boch. Live and learn.

13. Jun 4, 2014 at 4:25 AM
    LiquidDragon

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    none yet

I've been buying new cars for the past 17 years now and it seems like thepast 10 years dealerships have been getting more and more ridiculous to dealwith. I am in the military and left Virginia when I first joined back in 2000. Ipurchased and new jeep wrangler after boot camp and the experience was veryrelaxed and not stressful at all but once I started getting stationed aroundthe country and buying cars in different states it started getting more andmore stressful and now it’s just flat out ridiculous. I’ve noticed that thecloser you get to big cities the worse the experience gets and a few times Ihave actually driven up to three hours away to buy from a small mom and popsdealership just to avoid the stress. I really wanted a 4WD truck and this one hadeverything that I was looking for in a truck so hopefully it lasts a long timeso I don’t have to visit a dealership anytime soon other that taking it in forits regular maintenance.

14. Jun 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    So shitty that you were treated like this and had to go to the lengths you did to get things taking care of! Glad that you got your money back! What did you end up paying for the camera off of CL?

15. Jun 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    LiquidDragon

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    The camera cost me $200 for a lightly used one on Craigslist which the 2014 are harder to find so when I did I snatched it up right away. I had a 2013 on it for a few weeks and it works like the 2014 accept it doesn't have the guide lines and the connector is slightly different. If you use the older camera you have to remove the outside part of the connector so the 2014 connector can plug in. I would have left the older camera on if it had the guide lines but it didn't.

Products Discussed in

To Top