1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Boden Build 2015 DCLB 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by tacozord, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Nov 9, 2015 at 8:39 PM
    tacozord

tacozord [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Icon suspension, ARB front bumper, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Warn 9.5-XP winch, Demello Offroad sliders
    The ensolite is like a really thin layer of foam. The backing is extremely sticky. Installing this was a test of my patience. I quickly discovered that multiple small pieces was easier than one large one.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. Nov 9, 2015 at 8:43 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Very good. Thanks!

3. Nov 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Icon suspension, ARB front bumper, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Warn 9.5-XP winch, Demello Offroad sliders
    You got it. Are you thinking about using it?

4. Nov 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I got some foam made by Noico, same manufacturer of the deadner I'm using. The foam is a roll 36 sq feet. It's grey in appearance, very sticky self adhesive. I was asking about yours because yours looks black and has a better appearance for a finished look. I'm planning on using the foam between the deadner and MLV on the back wall. I think it'll turn out okay. I guess I just like the look of the black foam better. :thumbsup:

tacozord[OP] likes this.
  5. Nov 9, 2015 at 10:37 PM
    kitsym

kitsym Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 MGM DCSB TRD Sport
    Not going to spend too much time on it here in Mike's thread, but, the ensolite is a great product. I used the RAAMmat and ensolite throughout my Tundra and it was great. As @tacozord eluded to, it's super sticky. I spent a TON of time using a single piece for each door on my Tundra (at the time I read it was the best was to preserve sound quality and I built a SQL active system). Whether or not I spend the time to use a single piece isn't clear.

The best way I can describe the ensolite is a "smashed down" felt. It looks like felt but feels a bit like soft foam.

Crom[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 10, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Made some more progress today on the platform. I didn't get as much done as I thought I would. For some reason, bolting the platform into the vehicle was a very tedious process.

To locate the rear mounting holes, I fabricated some locating bolts by cutting off the head and grinding the tip down to a point. This was first done with a grinder with the bolt in a bench vise. I then chucked it into a drill press and spun that while grinding it down to a symmetrical fine point.
    [​IMG]

After screwing them in, I put the platform in place and banged on it with a mallet. This resulted in perfect alignment holes.
    [​IMG]

Next up was mounting the front of the platform. The bolts up front are on the side, so I chose to use angle brackets. I had to enlarge the holes to accommodate the 10mm bolts.
    [​IMG]

To align them, I installed the platform, secured the rear bolts, fastened the brackets in place, and marked their location with a pencil. Then it was simply installing the angle brackets.
    [​IMG]

After this, it was a ton of minute adjustments to the mounting holes to get them all to line up properly. This is what took me a long time, but I was finally successful.

Tomorrow, I plan on making the cut-out panels and installing the carpet, which should arrive today. The last step will be installing the L-Track.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  7. Nov 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    My rear seat platform is complete with the exception of bolting it in. I was held up because of a missing bolt. Basically, there's a total of six bolts to secure the rear seat brackets and four bolts for the seatbelts. To secure the platform, I'm using three of the mounting points for the rear seats and will plug the remaining unused holes with bolts. Unfortunately, I lost one of the 12mm bolts that secured the middle seatbelts. What's weird is that a replacement bolt from the hardware store wouldn't thread despite it being the same size: 12mm x 1.25 fine thread. Anyway, I had to go to the dealership today to get a replacement bolt. The parts guy was kind enough to give them to me for free, because I took the time to open up the Flippac and show him. Awesome!

Alright...here's the final steps.

I wanted access holes to utilized the storage compartments underneath the platform. So I began by cutting a piece of plywood 6" x 14", which is the size of panel that I wanted. This was secured to another piece of plywood that will then become a template to use with a router.
    [​IMG]

With a 3/8" guide bushing and a 1/4" router bit, I followed the pattern, and the template was complete.
    [​IMG]

The template will be used on the platform to cut out the access compartment holes while simultaneously making the panels. While doing so, the panel needs to be temporarily secured from underneath. Otherwise the panel instantly floats when you complete the cut, and this is a good way to ruin it. I used scrap plywood.
    [​IMG]

I made the template in such a way that I can align it with the edges of the platform, which places the cutouts exactly where I want them.
    [​IMG]

I used the same guide bushing and router bit to cut out the panel.
    [​IMG]

After the first cutout, I flipped the template, re-positioned it, and cut out the second panel.
    [​IMG]

I then cut two finger holes in the panels to be able to remove them.
    [​IMG]

The next step was to cover the platform and panels with carpet. I used a very thin carpet that is typically used for speaker cabinets and road cases. I purchased what I needed from www.diyroadcases.com. I used 3M Hi-Tack 76 spray adhesive as well as 1/4" crown x 5/8" staples.
    [​IMG]

To prevent the panels from falling all the way through, I attached small strips of plywood on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front L-Track was simply bolted with hardware that I left standing proud on the underside. I don't think this will be a problem with anything hitting or catching them. Also note that I used Loc-Tite on all of these bolts.
    [​IMG]

The rear L-Track was bolted all the way through as well, but I recessed the nut using a forstner bit and cut off the extra length. This was necessary so that the platform sat on itself instead of the bolts. This didn't need to be pretty.
    [​IMG]

And here it is finally in the vehicle. I'll take another picture later with it in action.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    kitsym and omaguz like this.
  8. Nov 13, 2015 at 7:37 PM
    Shmellmopwho

Shmellmopwho Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lomita CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 White DCLB TRD sport
    Bunch of stuff
    Bravo good sir. Well done! I like it a lot!!

tacozord[OP] likes this.
  9. Nov 13, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    FYI Toyota uses 7/16-20 SAE fine thread for seat belt bolt hardware. Only place I've found on the truck like that. I've found the DOT regulation once before which is the why of it. Stranger still when I read the regulation, it allows manufacturers to use equivalent metric bolts. Despite this, we get SAE. lol

Your platform looks awesome. Hope you have fun on your upcoming trip. :)

tacozord[OP] likes this.
  10. Nov 13, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Holy crap. You're telling me these are SAE bolts and not metric? Now I'm thoroughly confused. I took an existing bolt to the hardware store, found a metric 12mm x 1.25 nut and it spun on. So that's why I bought that bolt size. For my own curiosity, I may go back to the hardware store and try the size you're talking about.

11. Nov 13, 2015 at 9:18 PM
    kitsym

kitsym Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 MGM DCSB TRD Sport
    Looks great, Mike!

tacozord[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  12. Nov 13, 2015 at 9:42 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    I've been doing a little research. I found the DOT regulation 49 CFR 571.209 where it states the bolt size required.

[​IMG]

13. Nov 18, 2015 at 10:14 PM
    veronatii

veronatii Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    2017 MB Sprinter 4x4
    Wow! I'm super impressed with your attention to detail and perfect execution! Sub'd for more!

14. Dec 1, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    I recently completed a solo trip across the Mojave Road. This was a fantastic five day trip that I would recommend to anyone. I know many people who don't appreciate the beauty of the desert, but I just have to say that there's beauty all around you when you're out in the wild.

For navigation, I purchased the Mojave Road Guide by Dennis Casebier and entered the GPS coordinates into Google Earth. I then plotted the route and exported as a .kml file.
    [​IMG]

I emailed myself the .kml file and imported it into MotionX HD on my iPad. This gave me a rather accurate route to follow.
    [​IMG]

I also have a DeLorme InReach Explorer that I use for tracking and communication with my family and friends when out of cell range. Aside from the SOS feature, I can send/receive text messages, and people are able to track me on a MapShare page. The waypoints in the below image are what I added as I made my travels. You'll also notice that I varied off-route for exploration at times. Additionally, I bypassed the salt flats due to the rangers recommendation.
    [​IMG]

I took many photos along the way, including a fair amount of film. As I process images, I'll post them. In the meantime, here's a few from the trip.

The first night was spent next to the Colorado River at the trailhead. Although it was serene, the night was quite windy and I didn't sleep very well.
    [​IMG]

It seems like everyone stops off and photographs the bus. Here's my take on it with a 17mm lens.
    [​IMG]

The 2nd night was spent next to this watering hole. This was probably the best night of sleep I've had in such a long time. Incredible location!
    [​IMG]

The next morning, I spent a couple hours photographing wildlife with a 500mm lens and 2x extender. 1000mm!!!!! This was a very pleasant experience relaxing, drinking coffee, and soaking it all in.
    [​IMG]

The mailbox roughly marks the half-way point.
    [​IMG]

This is the view leaving the mailbox.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Leppz, tacoma16 and Crom like this.
  15. Dec 1, 2015 at 2:16 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Five days in the Mojave! Wow! That's awesome. :cheers:

16. Dec 1, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Yeah, I could have spent more time there. It was sooooooo much fun! I'm definitely going back.

17. Dec 2, 2015 at 9:23 AM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Here's several more pics from my Mojave Road trip.

Here's another shot from the first night on the Colorado River.
    [​IMG]

The is the view from the start of the Mojave Road. Adventure awaits.
    [​IMG]

This is the view from Fort Piute back down to the Mojave Road, which you can see faintly on the left-hand side.
    [​IMG]

Getting back on the road after leaving Fort Piute, a long road lies ahead.
    [​IMG]

After climbing a winding steep hill, you're awarded a great view looking back.
    [​IMG]

It seems like the bus is a right of passage. There's a lot of history here, but I don't know the story.
    [​IMG]

Don't forget to sign in at the mailbox.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    tacoma16 and Leppz like this.
  18. Dec 2, 2015 at 10:14 AM
    Leppz

Leppz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport Premium
    Awesome photos man. Looks like you had a fun trip! How many miles long is that road?

That flippac is pretty sweet. I'm loving that photo of it all lit up. :thumbsup:

19. Dec 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    The Mojave Road from end to end is just under 140 miles according to the guide book. My odometer is off due to my tires. Additionally, I took several side trips to explore. So in all, I probably drove around 200 miles off road.

20. Dec 2, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Here's another one of the Flippac. This was on the morning after the second night where I slept next to the watering hole.
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top