1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Body filler for Fiberglass?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by imagineer, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jun 30, 2020 at 10:38 AM
    imagineer

imagineer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    None yet
    Can anyone suggest a body filler that is recommended for direct application to fiberglass?

I'm finishing up modifications to a truck cap and am ready to start the bodywork.

Quick backstory:
    I recently acquired a '17 Tacoma Double Cab short bed; and have a road trip planned for this summer. Although I don't want a cap for the truck, having one for this trip would be a big benefit.

I'm unwilling to spend $2000 for a new cap, and have not found any used ones for the 3rd generation Tacoma, so I got an old $50 Leer cap that fits a 6' bed, '00 S-10 and have shortened and widened it to fit the Tacoma.

I shortened it by 13.5" and widened it at the front by 2" and at the rear by 1.5". I removed the side windows and glassed over the openings. It's ready for bodywork and paint.

001 cap leftside.jpg
    026 left test fit 2.jpg
    045 ready for bodywork FL 1.jpg
    047 ready for bodywork RL 1.jpg

2. Aug 15, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    Old green toyota

Old green toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle:
    99 2.7 4x4 Standard cab
    Oil leaks
    I use this stuff every day, I prefer the 3m platinum plus or evercoat z-grip. Both are fine going over fiex-prime.

I'd probably start with 180 under the first coat and finish in 180 or 320 before primer. It will help eliminate sand scratches showing through and causing a re-prime. Just keep watch for pinholes, they show up big time after paint.

Products Discussed in

To Top