1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Body Mount Bushing Install - now with pictures! And a video too!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pigpen, May 18, 2016.

1. Sep 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Thanks, Captain!
    Just curious, did you notice any worse clearance of the radiator fan on the shroud? I was looking at that and that seems like one place where the extra inch of clearance might come back to bite me. Not sure if the third gen and second gen trucks run the same fan but clearance on mine looks like its about 1" tops. If it does hit thats not an issue, just motivation to swap out for an electric fan and get some power back lol.

2. Sep 22, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    Capt. Obvious

Capt. Obvious Fearless Keyboard Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    6" body lift, LEDs errwhere, Jesus mural on the hood
    No fan clearance issues on my truck with only 1/2" of lift.

stevotivo12 likes this.
  3. Sep 22, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen [OP] My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Mine is fine too. Body mounts have stopped making noise after about a year of being 2x+ over-torqued.

4. Oct 11, 2017 at 1:24 AM
    Jeff108

Jeff108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Redondo Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport Pyrite Mica / R.I.P 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD O.R. 4x4 6 Speed Access Cab
    Nothing much yet, just an Snugtop high rise camper shell for now
    Man it's late and I'm still reading this post. Haha. I have these in my Amazon cart already and just waiting to buy.

Just want to ask if there are any members that performed this fix that have any before and after pictures of their taco lean fully eliminated. I have .75 of an inch off both the front and rear of my rig from passenger to driver side.

Passenger Front : 37.50 inches
    Driver Front: 36.75 inches
    Passenger rear: 36.75 inches
    Driver rear: 36.00 inches

This is from ground to fender. I did not measure hub to fender just cause I did this while at work and couldn't take my wheels off at the moment. But, measurements were taken in my service center which pretty much is flat level ground.

As far as my setup. I have a 2009 access cab v6. I have bilstein 5100's all around with stock 2017 front coil springs set at .85 and stock rear TSB springs with 1.5 inch lift blocks.

I'm planning on replacing my front springs with ome 885s and adding headstrongs 3 leaf aal in the rear to replace the block . I don't want to use the "symptom" reliever 1/4th inch top hat spacer and like to definitely do this mod for the overall in and out fix.

Thank TW! Let me know!

5. Oct 14, 2017 at 10:39 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Okay, I have to say that my Taco lean did eventually come back. I had to replace my top plates, so while I was in there, I added a little more lift - and compensated for the lean with an extra 1/4" spacer on the driver side.

6. Oct 15, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    RexsTaco

RexsTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    Maxtrac spindles Bilstein 5100 adjustable OME 885 coil JBA UCA's Custom leaf pack and Maxtrac extended shocks in the rear. 35x12.5 Atturo Trail blade M/T Moto Metal 18x12 -44 offset wheels.
    So if I replaced my stock mounts and have the new ones flipped, will I gain some lift as well as a smoother ride?

7. Oct 16, 2017 at 8:10 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    The ride isn't necessarily smoother. The poly bushings are stiffer than the stock rubber bushings. You actually feel the small bumps slightly more, but (in my opinion) not in a bad way - you can feel the driving surface better. As for the lift, yes. You will get about 1/2" of body lift over the brand new stock height. My driver side went up a full inch and passenger side close to 3/4"

RexsTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 16, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    RexsTaco

RexsTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    Maxtrac spindles Bilstein 5100 adjustable OME 885 coil JBA UCA's Custom leaf pack and Maxtrac extended shocks in the rear. 35x12.5 Atturo Trail blade M/T Moto Metal 18x12 -44 offset wheels.
    cool beans thanks for the info... defiantly do this upgrade soon-ish

Pigpen[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Oct 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM
    Danactive

Danactive Instagram: xxdanactivexx

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Check Out My Build Thread :)
    sub'd!

Pigpen[OP] likes this.
  10. Oct 26, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    JohnnyRed

JohnnyRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB TRD Sport
    Has anyone else experienced a noise when you torque the bushings to the correct torque?

I did the cab bushings, used super lube and torqued them to the correct 34 ft/lbs and then about 200 miles later went on an offroad trip. During the trip I noticed a strange noise when I'd go over bumps slowly & when starting from a stop. It sounded like a creaking almost. After I unloaded the truck and washed everything out good the noise continued and now a few hundred miles later it's gotten worse.

I crawled under the truck and began "bench pressing" the cab to find the noise...sure enough it's in the bushing area.

I read through all of the posts and tried a lighter torque (10 ft/lbs) It seemed to get worse. I've now torqued tighter to 65 ft/lbs. It cleared the bench press test but I haven't gone for a drive yet. Anyone have any experience with a creaking sound even with the correct torque?

11. Oct 28, 2017 at 6:57 PM
    JWROSE4

JWROSE4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5 4X4
    Work In Progress
  12. Nov 3, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    bvrc

bvrc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buena Vista, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB supercharged
    2009 OR with about 70k on the truck...

I got the universal radiator bushings. Energy part number 9.4101R

I put the big washer & small bushing on top, little washer & big bushing on bottom. I run an aluminum InsainFab bumper and the fit seems perfect.

Old ones and tools...

New ones...

SonnyBones and Pigpen[OP] like this.
  13. Nov 3, 2017 at 9:48 AM
    Capt. Obvious

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    I have the same issue. I've been messing with torque values from 35-80 ft/lbs and I still have a clunking noise from all four. I'm going to try removing the washer that goes between the cab and poly bushing next, as that is metal to metal contact. If that doesn't resolve it, I might just go back to the OEM mounts.

14. Nov 3, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    08 ACLB SR5 v6 auto 4wd with 67k

I did new OEM bolts and nuts (i have the part numbers if anyone wants them). I did big washer and big poly up top. It felt fine and fit right until i drove it. Then the grill pushed up, fenders started rubbing on the bottom of the headlights, hood gapped on both front corners, and when you pop the latch in the dash, the hood no longer springs up. It has a ton of strain on the latch and you have to pry it open with your fingers to reach the release.

303tacoma likes this.
  15. Nov 3, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    Capt. Obvious

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    Did you install the big bushing on top on the cab mounts also? If so, you need to also order the Universal bushing kit shown in the "Products Discussed in This Thread" section at the bottom of the page. You'll need to mix and match the universal kit with the body mount kit to get the correct amount of bushing for the core support.

AR15xAR10 likes this.
  16. Nov 3, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I used the universal bushings for just the radiator mounts.

I intend to do the full kit and replace all the bolts/hardware at some point in the future.

What are people doing for the bed mounts?

17. Nov 3, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    Capt. Obvious

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrick
    Gig Harbor
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    I had similar issues with my truck before I installed the body mount bushings. Flip the universal mounts around and install the small one on top for now. That's what I did on my truck.

As for the bed mounts, I plan to make some 1/2" spacers out of HDPE (AKA, a cutting board).

303tacoma and AR15xAR10 like this.
  18. Nov 3, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    I had the same hood issues until I did the body mounts. I put the large puck on top for the body too. I don't plan to do anything for the bed. It's not noticeable from cab to bed.

303tacoma and AR15xAR10[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Nov 3, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:
    But the body mount kit comes with new radiator mounts, did you use those or keep the universal ones in place?

20. Nov 3, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    I gave the radiator mount bushings from the kit to a member who wanted to replace theirs, but wasn't planning to do the body mounts.

AR15xAR10[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top