1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Body Scanner Saved 35,000 'NAKED' Images

Discussion in 'Travel' started by BuckNakedBooda, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Nov 19, 2010 at 4:43 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    We've been over this. When the majority of the public are morons, the majority is going to support moronic ideas.

Once again, people need to quit being such pussies about safety. Lose a finger or two for fuck's sake. It's not that big a deal. You've got 10.

I would hate to walk around all my life going "at least I'm safe! at least I'm safe! at least I'm safe!". I'm far more scared of losing all constitution, durability, self-respect, and personal responsibility than I am of being unsafe. Get a god damn spine you cowards.

Driving down the interstate is far FAR more dangerous than flying has EVER been, before or after security measures. Why aren't people screaming for more regulations? Right...because none of the talking heads have told them to.

2. Nov 19, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I do not walk around during my life grinding away at my fingernails in fear of someone attacking me as you are suggesting. If you are so confident about what is going to happen all of the time, do you leave your house and car doors unlocked at all times, your kids with that guy in the candy van, your cash on the front porch!? Of course you don't, because you want something known as "security". Whether or not real security exists is yet to be decided, yet you take precautionary measures so that you can best protect what is yours.

Same goes for the airlines. Let's just say that something does go wrong on the plane and someone does hijack one... again. You are completely helpless. That is why people have fear of it. It's like riding on a roller coaster. If the rail suddenly breaks, tough shit. No matter who you are, what you do, what you believe in, or where you came from there is not a single thing you can do to divert what is going to happen. The airlines have every right to protect what is theirs, and if something does happen again, it all rains right down on them (the damages, the lives lost, etc).

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,serif]Flying commercial airplanes has been widely called safer than driving. But what is ignored is the data that is used to support this conclusion is put together for the most part by biased parties that have an interest that those statistics show that flying is safer than driving. And anyone that knows about statistics knows that statistics can be twisted to support any conclusion. So it is with the "flying is safer than driving" statistics. Boeing says flying is 22 times safer than driving, which, as expected, is about the most biased statistic out there on the subject. Boeing wants people to fly, so a "flying is safer than driving" conclusion is what they want so they can publicize it. But is flying a commercial jet safer than driving when examined by someone without bias? In a word: no. In more than one word: hell no.

[/FONT]Biased "experts" use the per-hour statistic because it favors aviation because it spreads the riskiest parts of flying--takeoff and landing--over all the hours of a flight, therefore making flying seem safer than driving, when the risk of takeoff and landing are thusly spread over the hours of an average flight, which are much longer than the average car trip.

What is ignored in the statistics is that driving and flying need to be compared by more than just fatalities per year in each mode of travel. Statistics generally use the fatalities in car accidents each year and compare them to fatalities in airliner accidents. However, to do so is misleading. Car travel is a whole different animal than air travel. As anyone who drives knows, almost anyone can get a license to drive, even if they should never have gotten one. Also, drivers drive even when they don't have a license to drive. Then there is the issue of drunk driving, which claims many of the annual fatalities used in the statistics. When was the last time a commercial airline pilot crashed a plane because they were drunk? The automobile fatalities should be adjusted to eliminate the "natural selection" type deaths that have no similar example in airplane accident deaths, such as a drunk person passing out and driving off the road, killing themselves. The statistics should compare the likelihood of death of the average responsible driver per trip to the likelihood of death of someone flying per trip. If that much more valid comparison was made, the already less safe mode of travel of flying would be much more less safe than driving.

3. Nov 19, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    to me, it's a shame that most will forgo the rights and liberties that the soldiers of the revolutionary war died for to make possible. the current war in the middle east is often said to be defending our freedoms...is that ALL of our freedom and rights, or only a selected few? the ability to take liberties in my opinion is what freedom really is. i'm a US citizen and take liberty that i can freely use public transportation without harassment or unwaranted searches. guilty until proven innocent? i always thought that it was the other way around?

those who use the "nothing to hide" rationalization aren't thinking about the big picture. are the unwarranted searches at the airport the first step towards these same types of abuses in one's home? quite possibly. i have nothing to hide in my home, but that doesn't mean that i will consent to an unwarranted search of my property and i believe most citizens would balk at the idea of random searches of private residences. it's the old "slippery slope" situation...where will the line be drawn?

our freedoms and liberty are being eroded, and the citizens of this country need to realize that the next one being taken may be one that they do care about.

4. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I'm not a criminal....I have nothing to hide. Scan me....pat me down.....I don't give a shit.....just get me on that flight so I don't have to drive!!!

5. Nov 19, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Then stop acting like it.

Exactly. I protect my shit. I don't go crying to a government institution blaming it for not doing enough to solve my problems.

I snipped out the rest of your off topic rambling that had absolutely nothing to do with what we're discussing. You can get back to me on these two and we can continue.

6. Nov 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    X2, flying is a privilege, not a right

And I think terrorists have moved passed airliners...

7. Nov 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C

This entire response is completely wrong. First of all I don't think you can get more of a non biased statistic for danger then number of people that fly or time flying vs deaths or injury. Just because you can't get hit by a drunk driver and die on a plane doesn't mean that you can't take that into consideration on the risks of driving.... That's like saying, "Well when you drive there's no risk of getting your car hi-jacked by a terrorist and ran into a building, therefore we can't use that in the statistics for safety in flying." It's a fact that driving is incredibly more dangerous then flying, not a biased statistic. The amount of times I have almost been hit by a driver not paying attention is and always will be incredibly higher then injury or death on a plane.

8. Nov 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Haha... Are you suggesting then that we all take matters into our own hands when it comes to security? Let me carry my firearm onto an airplane and I would be fine with that. Well, I think what is happening here is that we agree to disagree (maybe?). I personally have no problem fending for myself, but I also like the idea that knowing that someone is looking out for me is all. I am thoroughly convinced that I will not be able to sway your decision making nor you mine, so I am not going to back and forth argue with you any longer. As you will see though, people are not riding the fence on this issue. They are pretty much all on one side or the other.

9. Nov 19, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    It is? Show me.

10. Nov 19, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Doesn't bother me.

And has the TSA ever actually stopped any terrorists lol. Maybe the new body scan will help em out.

[​IMG]

11. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    They're hardly sexual. So what's the problem here?

Puritanism or terrorism ... take your pick.

12. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    LOL. You know there'd be no problems here if we all just flew naked.

13. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
  14. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  15. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Hmm... Interesting. Thank you. Your argument just may hold water

16. Nov 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    the 4th amendment
    "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Once again the federal government is breaking the law and we are letting it happen. If they keep nudging us to let them do more and more, all of our rights will be gone. I read in an article that it is actually the DHSs intention to use these scanners in airports to condition the american people to tolerate them. Once we are conditioned the DHS will start putting scanners in schools and malls and other public places. Big brother is watching. Wake the fuck up America, the TSA is doing nothing but wasting our time and invading our privacy, they are not protecting us. We have rights and liberties, it is up to us to ensure our children and grand children have the same rights.

17. Nov 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    My irritation with the people that say "suck it up or don't fly" is that you're assuming two things:

1) That these scanners will prevent terrorists.

This is blatantly false. There are plenty of ways (bomb up the rectum, cargo, ground workers at the airport, crazy terrorist pilot in control of the plane, train, bus, etc) to get around bodyscanners.

So no, I'm not choosing between "puritanism and terrorism." This is called a false dichotomy - those aren't the only two choices nor are they even THE choices. In reality, I'm choosing between a highly invasive scan that needlessly humiliates people and may catch terrorists and deciding that wasting money in this manner is unnecessary, when other alternatives to catch terrorists that don't hamper our freedom are available.

and 2) You don't have to fly.

O rly? BS. There is no practical alternative for long-distance travel. Period.

If there is, name it. I can drive to Europe? ("You can take a BOAT lol!!11!!1ONEONEONE" No, I can't, because I don't have 3 months. "You don't NEED to go to eurup!!!!ONEOENONE111!!11!" I have to choose between naked scans of myself and travelling where I want to?)

This false dichotomy and fearmongering is aggravating.

Here are some facts:
    1) This crap takes nude photos of you.
    2) The people doing it are low-paid federal workers, with next to no training.
    3) This is costing BILLIONS of dollars.
    4) By all accounts, it appears minimally effective.
    5) There are alternatives (behavioral profiling).

So STOP acting like this is the only option. We do not HAVE to be bodyscanned, how about we re-evaluate how we catch terrorists and find a way that is not invasive to our privacy, cheaper, AND does the job better, like training employees to spot sketchy characters?

18. Nov 19, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Weird actually the old head of the DHS from 2005-2009, Michael Chertoff is a consultant to one of the major companies that makes the scanners, Rapiscan. It must just be a coinsidence.

19. Nov 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Yea... No corruption/collusion there... The government isn't out to make a buck or anything so they could NEVER be corrupt. WRONG!!!

Eliminate earmarks, lobbyists, and all forms of government collusion with business - then positive changes will come from government for the good of the people!

20. Nov 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    This thread make me LOL!

To Top