1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bolt cutters, keep in truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoTuesday1, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Apr 28, 2023 at 3:24 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    IMG_2502.jpg I’ve seen both discussion of this, and experienced it myself

you’re going down a trail. Leaving coming back. A public one with no markings to suggest otherwise.
    And someone locked you in.

life is about preparedness. At least to some extent. That’s why we have jumper packs that nobody complains about.

I would not plan to use these things nefariously. If I did, I probably wouldn’t be on a forum posting about it.

I’m curious to hear from you guys, do you carry them? Which ones? Why?
    It’s even good to have a pair at home or storage if the truck doesn’t have room.

just last week I locked myself out of my own gear with my own lock. So I picked and broke it. Which took me longer than if I had bolt cutters.
    As much as I wanted to find a firefighter with some; that seemed like a misuse of EMS, so I dealt with it on my own.

TL;DR recommend something good before I go to Harbor Freight for the largest and cheapest pair
    Which I think is 40”+, $30

On that note, what sucks is if they’re big and not folding, I probably wouldn’t even have room. And if you find yourself in an emergency situation needing it, while it’s at storage and theyre closed, or you’re far away, that’s no good.

just put my cheap traction boards and off road jack in storage as I ran out of room…
    Really does increase the appeal of bed cage, roof racks, swingout
    Or getting creative in other ways (mount stuff to front bumper etc)

mk5 likes this.
  2. Apr 28, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I've found an angle grinder to be the better bring-along option. More uses.

clifpaul, SR-71A, mk5 and 3 others like this.
  3. Apr 28, 2023 at 3:35 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    Bolt cutters is an excuse to be hassled by the police. Cordless angle grinder, maybe not as much. Put a few other things with it like a couple squeeze clamps and maybe cutting goggles so it looks like you plan to do some work instead of something mischievous.

mk5 and PzTank like this.
  4. Apr 28, 2023 at 3:36 PM
    BigCountry762x39

BigCountry762x39 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TL
    PNW, Oregon!
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma, with the cool white paint peel
    Arb Deluxe bull bar Front Bumper Ironman4x4 12k winch synth line AFE Intake OME 2.75in Dakar Leaf springs (R) Fox 2.0 bypass shocks (R) Bilstein 6112 (F) 33's on KMC wheels off road lighting comfort mods Redrock HD roof rack Retevis rt95 Radio Slotted Rotors and HD pads
    well... I often keep a pair of bolt cutters in my truck. they also live in a special pocket in backpack attached to my plate carrier. but that is a unique instance as to why I have some. and yes ive used them to cut a locked gate in public lands after driving back towards pavement after we were told they would be open all night

agreed, keep other things that make sense with your tools. i often keep a full kit of stuff a long time ago i kept a wheeling kit, spare and tools and bolt/ cutter were in the bottom with everything else. but like my dad always said "Son if your going to keep a bat in your car keep a baseball glove and a baseball too!"

winkel and mk5 like this.
  5. Apr 28, 2023 at 3:45 PM
    TacoTuesday1

Member:
    NC
    I’m sure the police, who themselves believe in preparedness and do not like wasting their time on trivial matters

will care, or have the X-ray vision to see it
    A tool that is probably legal
    In an overland truck that has a ton of other equipment
    including steel bumpers that are basically a battering ram not to be driven uncarefully

same can be said about 2nd amendment states. Just because people are rolling around with a G43 (probably everyone there), that in the wrong hands can do more harm than bolt cutters, does not mean they’re nefarious.

I think locks can also be broken by pulling from the bumper but I’m not 100% sure how. That would take up less space than bolt cutters through
    As might a grinder like you say

Doc Samson and mk5 like this.
  6. Apr 28, 2023 at 3:47 PM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    Cordless grinder.

Bolt cutters get damaged the first time you cut a hardened shackle.

mk5 and Bivouac like this.
  7. Apr 28, 2023 at 3:49 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    Hydraulic bolt cutter, compact size for concealed carry :laugh: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Hydraulic-Rebar-Cutter-Cuts/dp/B07MMM345N/

[​IMG]

I think they also sell die sets for these for crimping battery cables. Dual use.

mk5 and PzTank like this.
  8. Apr 28, 2023 at 3:50 PM
    TacoTuesday1

Member:
    NC
    might be time to get that one day
    I have a small right angle Milwaukee for things like cleaning up hubs but it’s likely too weak
    And actual grinder went with their corded one originally for cheapness and long use while plugged in to not worry about batteries

though if they do last long (and every Milwaukee owner has multiple batteries) then that’s likely a good tool to have in general

now that is some smart shit. Less effort required too. Case to match everything else like mechanics tool set, etc
    Or the Plano type boxes people put on roof racks with spare parts

mk5 likes this.
  9. Apr 28, 2023 at 4:10 PM
    CPS-65

CPS-65 I’m good for some, but I’m not for everyone.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alta Loma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD Off Road 4X4
    Mostly old man mods
    I keep them in the truck, initially as part of my "get home" plan. Natural disaster, civil unrest, alien invasion, etc.. I may need them to get home, hopefully in my truck, because there are a number of service roads between work and home for drainage and other utilities, horse trails, and other accesses which are all fenced and gated. Pop the lock, go through and shut it behind me, and I can use that road to help me get home and/or avoid whatever nonsense is occurring on the roads and be largely unseen by others. I have lived in this area all my life and I know where all of these accesses go. I also keep a silcock key for spigots, pry bar, some other stuff. Things that can keep me safe and get me home if something goes down. I like the greyman approach here. Be prepared, keep a low profile, pass through unnoticed.

I'm not worried about what a LEO might think, I never get pulled over, and if I was, they're in the bed under a locked tonneau. It doesn't seem likely we would ever have a conversation about it.

Doc Samson and mk5 like this.
  10. Apr 28, 2023 at 4:26 PM
    joeyv141

joeyv141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    I have an ace hardware 24 inch bolt cutter in my truck box should I need them, I also have an axe, shovel, saw, all sorts of tools.
    Having cut padlocks with my current cutters if I buy another set they will be at least 40 inches and far better quality so they hold there sharp edge better, that said my m18 6 inch fuel grinder cut through a masterlock hardened padlock in about 10 seconds this week, way easier then bolt cutters.

mk5 likes this.
  11. Apr 28, 2023 at 4:39 PM
    TacoTuesday1

Member:
    NC
    ^someone understands reality

cops do not harass trucks they like
    That also have a top speed of under what is now the speed limit in many areas

a 4K+ lb truck with 230hp wheezing at altitude does not get pulled over

mk5 likes this.
  12. Apr 28, 2023 at 5:25 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner

I don't carry this on wheeling trips. The one time my group came across a locked gate 6 years ago was because we took a wrong turn and got off the trail. We just unbolted the gate from its hinges and went through nondestructively. In my region, it's far more likely to come across fallen trees, so I carry a 40V chainsaw sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    mk5 and hanlan75 like this.
  13. Apr 28, 2023 at 5:33 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Gnar doggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    In the backcountry where weight and gear is a concern, you learn to always try and carry tools that have more than one use. I'd go for a angle grinder over bolt cutters

Sig45, mk5 and 3JOH22A like this.
  14. Apr 28, 2023 at 6:12 PM
    Dalegribble02

Dalegribble02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savona British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 meg grey sold
    Dobinson mrrs Deaver leafs archive garage hammer hangers.
    I keep bolt cutters and a angle grinder in my truck all the time but i use them for work

15. Apr 28, 2023 at 7:27 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    I don't see the point of bolt cutters. Most padlocks are actually not that difficult to open without a key.

Worst case I have full set of tools that I can use to remove most gates, wire cutters that'll handle barbed wire, a tow strap, a high lift, a mini sledge, a pry bar, and a hacksaw. Pretty sure I can get creative if I need.

mk5 likes this.
  16. Apr 29, 2023 at 12:13 AM
    TacoTuesday1

Member:
    NC
    this makes me realize I wouldn’t mind having a window break in kit
    if a person I know locks their keys inside (knock on wood I’ve never done it so far)

That’s how my jumper ended up working. I should absolutely have it for myself. But so far never used it on my own vehicle. Jumped 4 other cars so far though.

I’ll have to actually look the first time how a gate is made next time I see one. To judge if my big Costco DeWalt hand tool kit I carry for little stuff would work or not

17. Apr 29, 2023 at 12:16 AM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    That is call the "key to the city";)

mk5 likes this.
  18. Apr 29, 2023 at 12:19 AM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    I
    I gave up the bolt cutter for this..... a battery operated angle grinder with a cutting disc.
    :hattip: milwaukee-angle-grinders-2880-20-64_600.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    Rob MacRuger and mk5 like this.
  19. Apr 29, 2023 at 12:30 AM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    i must say the Bolt cutters have lived in my Tool Box the last 40 years .

Young and Dumb I was told they were must have tools so bought a decent set.

Most locks the bolt cutters can not reach between the Torch and cutting wheels things are covered.

mk5 likes this.
  20. Apr 29, 2023 at 12:33 AM
    mk5

mk5 Probably wrong about this

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    I carry hundreds of pounds of random useless tools in my bed most of the time, but have never felt the need to carry bolt cutters. They are so big and heavy, and have such limited utility.

I'll second the recommendation for a modern cordless grinder, owing to the lower mass and greater versatility. It's hard to imagine a situation where bolt cutters could do something a grinder couldn't, yet the grinder can do so much more. A single battery is plenty to get through lock or a chain, turn a hinge or two to dust, grind the heads off several seized bolts, or otherwise help with emergency vehicle repairs. Of course if you are doing something illegal, then bolt cutters have an advantage in their silence... and here in the west, a grinder poses a fire risk as well. But the grinder certainly seems to be a more versatile and lighter-weight tool to carry. Even then, I don't carry a grinder.

My contingency tool for being on the wrong side of a locked barrier is a set of lock picks... they take less toolbox space than a screwdriver, and weigh perhaps an ounce at most. I'm definitely not skilled in using them, but I did at least sit down once and stumble my way through picking a couple of padlocks and my home door locks before tossing them in the bin. If I'm locked in or out of something and have no better options, then time is on my side -- at least up until I starve or freeze to death or whatever. As a backup plan I also have communication devices... cellphone, radios, satellite messenger, which would likely actually be my primary plan of action if I found myself behind a locked gate anywhere near home in SoCal. Here, the forest service uses these massive steel gates with ... I dunno, I'd guess half-inch-thick steel shrouds around the locks to deny access to bolt cutters and angle grinders alike. In the rare events I find such gates open, I charge past them with childish glee, planning a charade of ignorance and a tearful apology should I ever need to beg a ranger to let me back out. So far I've never found myself penned in, so I don't know how that would work out... but if I did wind up stuck behind such a gate with no way to hike out or call for help... well then these miniscule pieces of randomly shaped metal in my lock pick set would be the best of any option discussed above, because nothing short of an acetylene torch is going to open those gates, and ramming them would definitely at least total the vehicle, and you might still be stuck there.

I'll also mention I've picked my way through two home lockouts, albeit incredibly slowly, thanks to having a lock pick set on hand. A third time, I tried my luck on a vehicle lock (someone had locked their keys in the trunk.) Perhaps I might eventually have gotten it, but the locksmith arrived before I could find out.

This is not indented to criticize the OP or others who have commented here, just wanted to share my thoughts. A lock pick obviously won't work on a combo lock (although I could probably brute-force the combo on a similar time scale to picking a lock cylinder anyway). I'm sure there are locks I can't pick, either. In any case, nothing beats having the right tool for the job, and if bolt cutters are the right tool, then more power to you.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    Bivouac and tcjacado like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top