1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bolt fell in defroster vent

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EEtaco, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Jan 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    EEtaco

EEtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Prerunner
    I accidentally dropped a small bolt on the dash and by luck it fell into the defroster vent. :mad: It made it down to where the the ducts interconnect because when I change the vent selection i can hear the bolt rattle. Unfortunately it sounds like its right behind the radio. I'm going to look for a service manual page, but has anyone else done something similar or know how to get to it?

2. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    bk1

bk1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lower Mainland, BC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ProComp Stage 2 6" lift, AAL, Heated Mirrors, DVD/NAV, Amp & Subs, Fog Light Mod, Rear Diff breather. WeatherTech Mats, Soft Tonneau Cover, 33" TrXus M/T, M8000 Winch & Bumper, CB, Rock/suspension Lighting and a whole lot more Soon to come rear Locker and more....
  3. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd agree with this or trying a magnet on a string.

4. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    EEtaco

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Prerunner
    That tool looks like it might do the trick. I tried using a magnet I had laying around, but it just barely didn't fit into the vent.

5. Jan 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    I have used a rare earth magnet and a flat washer. Tie a string to the flat washer and get it close to the rare earth magnet. Watch your fingers as the magnet will almost jump to the washer, then drop it into the dict work and the bolt should be picked up by the magnet. I also use this method for stud finding at work. Seems to latch onto the drywall screws constantly.

6. Jan 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    EEtaco

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Prerunner
    I found an old magnet from a hard drive and broke it to size, but no luck. I tried removing the passenger foot ducting and see if i could snake something in there, but that didn't work. I'm now trying to remove the dash, but one of the two screws above the gauge panel won't come out and just spins in place. :mad: If anyone knows how to remove the black area around the vents next to the radio, that may also help.

7. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    EEtaco

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Prerunner
    I got the radio and front vent assembly off, and was able to throw my magnet on a string down the vents into the main a/c ducting... but no bolt.

I started removing the gauge cluster surround to remove the dash when I realized you also need to remove the center console and I said fuck it and put it all back together. The bolt doesn't seem to cause any problems and there seems to be no binding when changing air mode, so I'll live with it.

fyi, I broke one of the two push-screws holding the gauge cluster surround. Anyone know of a replacement?

8. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    i broke both of mine and had no problem with out them so i wouldnt worry

Products Discussed in

To Top