1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Borla Catback vs. Toyota Catback vs. Performance Muffler

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by joelong0004, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Sep 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    This is for the good of the world, Tacoma... World.... not personal monetary gain! Don't you have thousands of dollars to spend however you want just like every other citizen in this great count..... shit I'll just stop there... hahahaa

2. Sep 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    I have a Borla Catback, get it! love the deep sound and what not

3. Sep 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    joelong0004

joelong0004 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Manteca, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma, TRD Off-Road
    - Rancho 2.75" quick lift with Skyjacker leaf packs - Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks - 32" tires - New 16" wheels with "0" off-set - Borla ProXS exhaust - nfab nerd bars - Weather Tech floor mats - Wet Okole seat covers
    My thought was simple:

1) create a Tacoma test lab
    2) fit and test products consumers want and create a benchmark based on what consumers want to see
    3) charge the manufacturers money for the feedback
    4) members know and get exactly what they want...tested and proven

I hate the research part of shopping, the opinions are tolerable, but I'd rather research the info from a trusted service company that is an expert (one source) based on tested data and reviews from consumers. Maybe a site exists already for Tacoma's and I haven't found it.

- Joe

4. Sep 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    /\ /\ /\ This!!!

This could really become something. Think if every member on here Donated a dollar. That would be a perfect start to buy some products, and get some dyno time! I think we should do a poll on whos willing to donate a dollar to test and prove which products we should be spending our money on and which ones are not worth it.

Someone on here has to have access to a dyno shop. We could work out a deal for dyno time and promote the shop as well to maybe get a discount on dyno time.

This could really get interesting.

I will donate a dollar for the cause. Whos with me?

5. Sep 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    Free bump.

6. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    8 minute bump, sweet

7. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    tacoman00

tacoman00 Your Average Joe

Member:
    Rockville, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Toytec BOSS 2.0 lift, 18x9 Fuel Rebels, 32” BFG AT K02.
    Cant say enough, Flowmaster super 10 if your looking for a deep throaty v8 sound, with great quiet highway performance. best muffler i have ever heard and will probably be the only muffler i use from now on unless i do straight pipes.

8. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    Paak

Paak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM TX
    Bull bar, soft tonneau cover, LED dome and map lights, Sockmonkey sticker, MagnaFlow SI/SO, Window Visors
    I'd donate a dollar!

Tacoman, got a vid or soundclip? I put a magnaflow si/so on and I don't particularly care for the sound.

9. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

This has been done in the past. First, Dyno time is expensive. THe only reason I was able to do so many runs in the past, was because the company I worked at, rented the property to the performance shop. THe owner worked out a deal with them allowing me to get free runs, as many as I wanted, providing they had an opening. Also, The cost of the parts is going to be expensive. In the limited amount of testing I did, I would buy an item, or buy thru a friend to get it as cheap as possible, then E-bay it to re coupe some cash. You will not be able to re coupe all of your cash. To kieep things accurate, you must only use one vehicle. That way any production variances are eliminated, but even then, you will still run into some. FWIW, I think most things have been dyno'ed for the average person to get an idea of what to expect. No exhaust/intake, or tuner can give 20 hp. All three combined "might" give that much. It boils down to this:
    New vehicles are pretty efficient already.
    Gone are the days of getting a gain with an air filter swap.
    If you want to make a truck fast, get ready to pay lots-O-cash, as the best power/dollar mod is an SC, and even then, you will only be "quick". ASk Super Werty how much he has spent on mods?

AND......*drum roll please*

If you want cheap speed, get a bike.
    If you want super speed in a vehicle with a cab, Get a car.....a fast one........sans "Type-R" stickers.....

10. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    DING DING DING!

*tell him what he won, Bob!*

This man has won NOTHING!

But he's absolutly correct.

11. Sep 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Shattered dreams!!
    :ballchain::bananadead:

12. Sep 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    joelong0004

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Manteca, CA
    Vehicle:
    - Rancho 2.75" quick lift with Skyjacker leaf packs - Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks - 32" tires - New 16" wheels with "0" off-set - Borla ProXS exhaust - nfab nerd bars - Weather Tech floor mats - Wet Okole seat covers
    I would donate money to find out which parts actually provide performance. I would even contact the manufacturer, ask for a demo unit and have someone dyno it. If someone from the forum could provide the data with integrity, I'm sure the group buy would more than recover the demo unit from the manufacturer. I say let's get the manufacturer to use the demo as marketing, let us play with it in our "demo taco lab" and then we'll review it as a group. If I am a manufacturer who really makes a performance product, what do I have to fear....how to spend all the money I guess. :)

- Joe

13. Sep 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    tacomtn

tacomtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    Very cool. I'm away from this thread a couple days after suggesting dyno testing and boom, new topic!

Yes, I'd donate a buck for a dyno. I wonder how many companies would actually endorse private, independent testing of their products. Probably only the ones that have full faith and can stand behind their claims.

Check this out. When I was talking with one company (can't recall who) about their exhaust, he was quick to point out it's design features and it's increase in HP and MPG. I asked him if they are dyno results, he said yes. Then I asked him if I could see those, "I don't have access to those" was his answer. Hmm.

So many of the consumers say yes, increase in HP and all. But I really think that the sound and rumble makes one feel a boost. I don't believe any claims until there's tested proof. And like someone said, it has to be proof on one vehicle, different products and brands. Then to make it super reliable, the same results must be proven on another similar vehicle with the same products. Basic scientific theories should be reliable, able to have results reproducible across more than one sample. One sample is just that, one.

That said, I'd love to have my truck be the second guinea pig:D
    I'll take that supercharger, intake, and exhaust please

14. Sep 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    joelong0004

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Manteca, CA
    Vehicle:
    Called the tech line at Borla. The tech recommended only changing the muffler.

The Borla Turbo will offer more sound and same performance as a catback package for $300 less.

The Borla Turbo XL will offer a little less sound than the Borla Turbo because the muffler is bigger with the same performance as the catback package for $275 less.

I don't need the stainless steel pipe underneath. In the next few months, either pipe will be black. :)

- Joe

15. Nov 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    xsptaco07

xsptaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Xsp
    xsp package, 20" enkei deep six wheels,33" cooper zeon ltz, borla exhaust, borla intake, carbon fiber trim, weathertech mats, Halo HID lights, black grille surround with mesh, smoked 3rd break and tails, 3" toytec coilovers with bilstein strut, AAL and bilstein 5160 in the rear, led tag lights, led interior lights, NTW plated bumper, anytime fog mod, blue and white cluster swap, UWS toolbox,
    Im happy with the Borla exhaust that came on my 07 tacoma xsp. Ive thought about trying to sell it, it has minimal rust. How much do they go for?

16. Nov 7, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    Taco89

Taco89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Super White DBL Cab TRD Sport

Just bought a Borla Catback for 530 brand new....Came in about a week ago, waiting for my DTLT headers to come in so i can put them on together.

17. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:36 AM
    xsptaco07

xsptaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Xsp
    xsp package, 20" enkei deep six wheels,33" cooper zeon ltz, borla exhaust, borla intake, carbon fiber trim, weathertech mats, Halo HID lights, black grille surround with mesh, smoked 3rd break and tails, 3" toytec coilovers with bilstein strut, AAL and bilstein 5160 in the rear, led tag lights, led interior lights, NTW plated bumper, anytime fog mod, blue and white cluster swap, UWS toolbox,
    right on dude.you'll love it! I've been wanting to put some on mine. could you link me to a pair?

Products Discussed in

To Top