1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Borla S type system or muffler only?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Crimson Flam3s, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Oct 25, 2020 at 10:09 PM
    Crimson Flam3s

Crimson Flam3s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looking for a little more aggressive sound out of my truck, if I did the muffler swap only would the muffler alone sound similar to the s-type cat back exhaust system?

2. Oct 25, 2020 at 10:30 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Piping is piping, the muffler is what produces the majority of your sound. To answer your question, yes, but the chance is slim you will be happy with your results.

Crimson Flam3s[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2020 at 10:33 PM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    Do you have a COA installed yet?

4. Oct 25, 2020 at 10:35 PM
    Crimson Flam3s

Crimson Flam3s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gotcha! Why wouldn't I be happy if sound is all I am looking for, any other considerations?

Not sure what that is but pretty sure I don't lol

5. Oct 25, 2020 at 10:37 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    It's actually quite simple. Because Borla sucks for sound. Like if you are going for sound, you might as well stay stock instead of messing with them because that's how much "sound" you get from them.

6. Oct 25, 2020 at 10:43 PM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    Cold air intake. If you want a more aggressive sound a cold air intake will give you the growl you want. Its a nice deep growl that get louder when you put your foot in it and the rpm's rise. I have yet to hear a good sounding exhaust on these Tacomas. I had the Borla S cat back installed and after 3k miles I took it off. Not only was it too loud but it sounded like they all do..like ass. But I love the sound of the COA.

7. Oct 25, 2020 at 10:46 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Check out Black Widow or what used to be Aero Turbine the resonated version. I would highly suggest them, or even Corsa. I would take Corsa over Borla anyday.

Slick Taco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top