1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

both tail and license lights went out

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by The Happy Idiot, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    The Happy Idiot

The Happy Idiot [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 SR5
    Toyota was nice enough to give me a new frame. JBA cat-back, aFe dry drop-in w/ deckplate, Bilstein 5100's all around, Timbrens, Alcan 5-leaf packs, OME 881's, linear clutch pedal return spring (best $3.49 I ever spent)
    They were all working yesterday and I just got pulled over twice on my way home. Thankfully, no tickets. Since I'm dealing with multiple lights I'm thinking its not bulbs and probably wiring - a bad ground or something of the sort.

I'm confident I can figure it out but any tips on where I should look first? Anybody have a wiring diagram that might help? Are those on the same fuse? (Seems unlikely) Wiring is kind of new territory for me.

2. Dec 4, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    Check the "TAIL" fuse, a 10A

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    The Happy Idiot

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 SR5
    Toyota was nice enough to give me a new frame. JBA cat-back, aFe dry drop-in w/ deckplate, Bilstein 5100's all around, Timbrens, Alcan 5-leaf packs, OME 881's, linear clutch pedal return spring (best $3.49 I ever spent)
    Will do now that its light out but wouldn't that take out the brake lights as well? Brake lights work. Running lights and plate lights are out.

4. Dec 5, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Check your owner's manual for the fuse box diagram, they might be separate fuses. I agree that it's not a bulb problem, start simple and check the fuses.

5. Dec 5, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    This happened to me in my 97 a few years ago. I had a trailer hitch, and the wires in the harness shorted out and blew the fuse. If you find a blown fuse and replace it, it might just blow again and you will need to replace the wiring harness for the trailer lights.

6. Dec 5, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    check the tail fuse like said above. My old truck did that.

7. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    The Happy Idiot

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 SR5
    Tail fuse is fine as suspected. Turn signals, reverse lights and brake lights all work so there's current getting to each bulb except the license plate lights. I looked at the frame wire and associated connectors just above the rear wheel. Everything looks fine. hangers are intact, wires are still in the protective sleeve. I don't have a trailer light wiring harness so certainly no short there! I had a new frame put in a couple years back so there's no rust or other issues under there and all contact points are new anyway. I'm totally perplexed.

8. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    The Happy Idiot

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 SR5
    Oh yeah. I forgot to mention I did find the wiring diagrams and such in the DIY section. Very helpful in showing me where to look but I still can't seem to solve the problem.

9. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    The Happy Idiot

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 SR5
    A bad tail relay?

10. Dec 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Do you have a test light so you can see if there's current getting to certain points along the circuit? Did you try swapping out the fuse for another of the same amperage, sometimes they look fine visually, I've been fooled by that a couple times. Plus it's a simple check before you start tearing into the truck. If all fuses and grounds are ok, then move on down the wiring diagram to relays and switches. A volt meter or a test light will come in handy if you can get your hands on one.

Products Discussed in

To Top