1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bowhunting Tips

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Incognito, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    Incognito

Incognito [OP] No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Anybody got any tips for a beginner going into bowhunting? I bought a PSE Stinger and am going to start practicing to become proficient before I go out in the woods... Gonna go for whitetails from a 13' ladder stand. Any tips on what time, what part of the year, or anything that has to do with bowhunting deer would be very helpful... Thanks!

2. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    pick up a copy of your states rules/regs..it will tell you when you can bowhunt, what poundage is the minumum,whats the smallest broadhead you can use etc..

Im a new bowhunter this year also, and got very fortunate to have taken a nice 9 point my second time out. just be patient.

And also, why a 13' ladder? Thats not very high, and you will get picked off more easily being that low..The tree I'm in now is crooked to hell, so I'm only about 15' up and thats not enough. The recommended height by alot of bow hunters is 20-30'.

Join a bowhunting forum, you will learn alot. I know I have.

also, if you havent got one already, or asked for it for christmas, invest in a good trail camera so you can see whats in the woods your going to potentially hunt.

3. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    Incognito

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Gotcha, will definitely do that...

And the reason for the 13' ladder is because it was a nice one I found at Basspro on sale for 50% off... Didn't know if that was high enough or not. Gonna take it back and look for a nice 20-30' like you said. I'll also join some forums and gather some info. Thanks for the info!

4. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

A 20' ladder stand is nice, but a pain to put up/take down by yourself. You can find them at Basspro/Cabelas, but there $$$$

Also check out thesportsmansguide.com. They have a 24' ladder stand for probably cheaper then you will find one at the basspro or cabelas:)

If you can afford it, look into a climber. End of season, they will be blowing them out for the 2010 models. I found my summit climber brand new in the box from Dicks Sporting Goods, for $200. Ive got no problems bowhunting from it, but if your going to do quick trips like after work/school then a hang on or ladder is the way to go..I got tired of lugging my climber in and out of the woods, so I asked very nicely for 2 new hang on stands from thesportsmansguide.com for christmas..For both of them shipped, was under $200 also(but im also a member of there savers club there) This is where being a member of a hunting forum comes in handy. I asked on the forum before I even thought of getting those stands, and majority of the people who responded who had bought stands from them, say there great for the money spent.

5. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    Incognito

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Awesome info, thesportsmanguide.com has some good deals over there! What would be the difference between a hang on vs. a ladder stand? I know the ladder stand obviously has a ladder, but what differentiates the hand on and a climber? Again, thanks for the info, much appreciated!

6. Dec 19, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    hang on hangs in the tree with ratchet straps securing it to the tree, with no ladder attached to it. You need to either get screw in steps, or a climbing stick to use the hang on. A climber is designed so you can "walk" up a tree without using ladders or screws or sticks.

7. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    Incognito

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Cool, thanks for the information!

8. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    Practice, practice, practice with your bow. Make it so every move you make with that bow becomes muscle memory because once that deer walks within shooting range you are going to forget all the technique you have been trying to master. You won't be able to do much thinking and you'll only hear your heart beating. So without that perfected muscle memory any little tweek you make with your bow is going to screw up your shot.

Also know the distance of your shooting lanes and be sure there are no branches or anythign else in the way of those lanes. Since you are sitting above the deer, remember to aim just a little low.

9. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    Incognito

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Gotcha, thank you for the input! I plan to go to the range/practice a whole lot before I get up in the stand... Don't wanna get out there and miss. Thanks again.

10. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    if its possible, have someone go with you who is an archer. They can tell you if your form is good or bad. Bad form leads to bad habits, which are hard to break. Dont forget to also not "grab" the bow, but to have the grip on the bow inbetween the spot where your thumb and pointer finger are hold out your hand, and make the letter L.

Or better yet, give repeat buisness to an archery shop and hang around..be friendly with the proshop guys, they will be more then willing to help ya learn.

11. Dec 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    Incognito

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    I'll definitely do that. Got a nice pro shop around here with some knowledgeable guys, gonna get some tips/pointers from them... Any preference on broadheads?

12. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    rage......enough said. check out my pics for the hole I put in my first deer. Practice first. You can get away with a 13 foot stand as well, it is just recommended that the higher you get, the better for scent reasons. With bowhunting, your maximum range MIGHT be 20 yards. The wind is your friend, make sure that it is blowing the right way all the time you are on stand. Scent prevention, etc, etc.

13. Dec 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

Sorry..Rage isnt for a beginner bowhunter IMO. Expandables dont always open, which is why I started with fixed heads.

maximum range is 20 yards? Do you even bowhunt? My bow is tuned to 30 yards, and some guys on my bowhunting forum shoot out to 60 yards:eek:

I shot my first bow deer, at 24 yards.:cool:

14. Dec 20, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    hey jersey,
    as a beginner, I was told that maximum range for an ETHICAL kill shot is 20 yards, we are talking beginner here...

15. Dec 20, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visit 3D archery shoots in your area. Makes for great practice and gets you in the 'one shot' mind set,
    Keep an eye on this Archery site, most shoots for the upcoming year have not been entered by all the clubs yet.

If your a Christian, I found one of our CBA chapters out there by you.

Ethical shot is to shoot just short of your ability IMO. That could possibly even be 15yards.

as far as broadheads........type of broadhead used isn't as important to me as consistancy and arrow placement. If you put a field point through the heart of a deer, you will make the harvest.

16. Dec 20, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Thats why you practice. I bought my bow in March, and went out almost every day after work practicing. I am able to do 2" groups at 30 yards.

Im not saying rages arent good, I just have read bad things about them either not opening, or opening in the quiver, which neither is good for an ethical kill. I'll surely stick with my fixed heads, for not having the fear that they wont open

17. Dec 20, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    X2 - every suggestion on here is good, but you've gotta start with practice before you even think about anything else. A good rule of thumb is that whatever distance you are shooting at, you should be able to hit a paper plate 100% of the time. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be shooting at that distance. The reason for the paper plate is that's about the size of the kill zone (heart/lungs) of an average whitetail. Keep in mind that's a broadside shot, if it's quartering toward or away it's smaller.

18. Dec 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    Incognito

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Thanks HoosierTaco! I'll make sure to practice and become consistent... And I'll check out the CBA, as I am a Christian. :)
    Will do, thanks for the info.

Thanks to Canada also for you input!

19. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    stan powers

stan powers Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 taco dc
    i guess i will chime in here..... been bowhunting for years and years. i believe NO ONE should attempt a bow hunt until they complete at least 5 3D shoots. You have no idea what happens to you when that first deer comes across your range and you are inexperienced. I shot( gun) a deer this year that had an arrow sticking out of his rear end and was rotting with gangrene. i called the C.O. to come take a look and he sees this every year usually do to inexperienced bow hunters. Think of how much that animal suffered.

3d shoots teach you the importance of range and the fact that every shot is different ( not like target shooting).

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. have fun

20. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    No matter what you do, theres going to be bad shots...It's not always just because of inexperience.

Products Discussed in

To Top