1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake click fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TOYOTA 09, May 18, 2011.

1. Feb 14, 2017 at 10:13 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
    I realize that this thread is old, but I've got the brake click on my 2013 PreRunner v6 and wanted to install the extra anti-rattle clips. My question on the installation if anyone reads this post:

Do I need to remove the pin that holds the clip, or do I just place the clip around the pin while the pin remains in-place?

slicked1 - could you confirm the Toyota part number that you used on your 2013?

Much thanks!

2. Feb 14, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    I put the springs on mine, and it worked for a week or so. Then the sound came back, possibly even stronger. I think the tension on the pads makes it worse. I was told by a dealer that when the pad wears, it causes this to happen, and replacing pads is the best way to combat it. I thought it was bs to have to buy new pads when I had plenty of wear left on them.

3. Feb 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
    Thanks for the info.

How did you install the springs?

4. Feb 14, 2017 at 10:35 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Nah. Only 6 years since it kicked off. :D

Maybe helpful hints........

If you click slickedone's name, you'll see he has not been online since that post was made. He may be gone, or just not posting.

When you want to gain someones attention, do it like @Spindifferent and they'll get notified, like you just did by me doing that.

Or you could try a 'start conversation' with him if you don't get a response.

Good luck!

isius and Spindifferent[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Feb 14, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    WebberLander

WebberLander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    I got the clicking to go away with new clips that came with new brake pads. I purchased my pads and rotors from O'Reily's. I honestly can't recall the brand off the top of my head but they were not the cheapest option. I was pleasantly surprised it went away as I was more annoyed with warped rotors at the time than the clicking.

6. Feb 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    slicked1

slicked1 Old dog w/ Toy

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco TRD
    quick mods so far
    So, it has been 4 months since I did the replacements. There is a bit of clicking now, but not much. No were near the level before all of the part replacements. Toyota brakes wear forever, so I'm not headed down that road......

You have to pull the pins to get the new springs on and make sure you clean all the corrosion off of all of the components. I'd expect that is the primary reason for the problem. I was surprised how much corrosion was on everything. There is nothing odd about the brake design except for only 1 spring.

If it gets noisy again, a good cleaning and lube will be my first step before I replace the pads.

Good luck.

Spindifferent likes this.
  7. Oct 25, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    babylon5

babylon5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    watched a video of a brake pad change on a tacoma and have a pretty good idea of where some of the noise come from.. the tacoma pads just drop straight down into the calipers (no slots,clips etc) (think paying cards in the box they came in ) and retained solely by the pins..
    now there has to be some clearance between the end of the backing plates and the calipers to allow them to move and not get jammed up when they got hot and expand.. And looking at a brand new akebono pad i have in my hands the slots the pins go through are also bigger than the pins to also allow for some movement also
    So just like a deck of cards can move around in the box they came in, so can the pads move slightly back and forth in the calipers..
    i have uploaded a picture showing the straight end of the backing plates that drops in the caliper and the fcat that the hole for the caliper pin is larger than the pin..

so i wouldnt worry about a small amount of noise since this means that things can move as they should.
    a total lack of noise might mean somethings jammed up

pads.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top