1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

brake click

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by primer, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    primer

primer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    2006 TRD off road.

For some time I have had a click coming from the rear of the truck. It happens the first time I apply the brake each time I switch from forward to reverse or vice-versa.

For instance:

Put the truck in reverse, back out of the driveway, hit the brake -- click. Put the truck in drive and drive for a bit, hit the brake -- click. Drive forward some more - no click, until the next time I put it in Reverse...

I think I've read something about the brake calipers causing this. I'm not even sure if it's a problem. But I don't remember noticing it before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

TL

2. Jan 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    TumbleBug

TumbleBug Member

Member:
  3. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    I really don't think this is it. They are talking about a "squishy" sound. Mines a hard click or clunk. Sounds like metal on metal. Sounds like some part is a little loose and shifts until it hits another piece of metal. When I reverse direction it shifts back. Is coming from outside not in.

I appreciate the help - and I have searched - just not sure I'm finding it.

4. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  5. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
  6. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Check and make sure all of your suspention bolts are tight. I was having this problem and thought it was coming from the rear, and it turned out to be coming from the front (standing out side of the truck) and tightend the suspention bolts today and now its gone.

7. Jan 13, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    Sounds like you need to adjust your rear brakes. How many miles do you have on them?

8. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    Thanks all.

I rolled down the window and tried to localize it this AM. Might be front, but hard to say. I'll try and have my wife drive so I can listed from outside.

My brakes have 45K on them (same at the rest of the truck) without any work.

TL

9. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I have the EXACT same thing. Kind of annoying. Forward and reverse thing just like you describe. Thought mine came from front drivers side though. I'm thinking it's the calipers???

10. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    aznfish

aznfish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD SPORT DCSB
    yup mines too...help anyone? I'm about to do a front brake job pretty soon so I will let you all know if the clicking noise stop.

11. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I think I go over this situation several times each year. You've described the front brakes perfectly. It is NOT coming from the rear of your truck. This is a result of the different design in the front brakes from the norm. The pads slide in from the edge (with the calipers already mounted). Once they slide into place, there are two pins (top and bottom) that slide cross-wise through the caliper and brake pads. Then a clip goes on the end of the pins and a spring clip goes across the pins on the outside. There is enough space between the pins and the pads and/or the pins and the caliper which allows the pads to shift either up or down. If you were going forward and apply the brakes, they shift upward (since they're mounted on the back side of the disc). Once there, they stay there until you back up and apply the brakes...changing directions causing the pads to shift downward. Again, they stay there until you're going forward and apply the brakes again. The loud click is the pads shifting directions against those pins. It becomes more noticeable as the pads wear down. Toyota issued a TSB to address it for those that complained about the noise. The TSB's directive was to apply grease to the pads (to reduce the noise when they shift). Since it's normal, I've always just ignored it.

Biggums likes this.
  12. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    That sounds normal to me. I have always had that noise...

13. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    i kept hearing a a click sound too and found out it was my cd's in my center consol that i have behing the little net.. everytime i would give it gas they would slide back and when i would brake they would slide forward cause they have about 1/2 inch of play and It was driving me nuts. I could have swore it was coming from under my truck but finally found out it was those stupid cds.. ha. I felt stupid but happy..

14. Jan 15, 2011 at 3:00 AM
    BH15001

BH15001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC LB SR5
    Mine has it too. Sounds like the front pads shifting around. That is ok it means they are not stuck.

15. Jan 15, 2011 at 3:13 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    The front calipers are built a little loose, so you will hear exactly what everyone here is saying, the pads shifting up or down depending on the rotation of the tire when you apply the brakes.

I think its a good thing, they are loose so when they get packed with dirt and mud they still function properly.

If you ever do a brake job on your truck(unbelievably easy) you'll see what we are talking about.

I know if you don't put the retaining spring in right the pads will float around in the caliper. You will here the same clunk every time you hit a bump... Ask me how I know :D

16. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    This seems like the right thing. As I said before - it has seemed to be from the back, but I'll bet I'm wrong and it is from the front.

Sounds like this has been discussed before, but my search didn't find it. If nothing else this thread should pop up next time someone searches "brake click".

Thanks for all the input.

17. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    PCOBB4033

PCOBB4033 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Charleston, Il
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab TRD SR5 4X4
    Dealer told me they fixed this for fist gens but are waiting for a new caliper to be released from toyota. A $30,000 truck should not sound this way! Waiting for now...

18. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Holy thread revival, Batman........

19. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    It's not that bad. But my first thought was, "Damn, I gotta go over this again?":D

20. Sep 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    shimsham

shimsham New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dan
    cincy ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma
    I pinpointed my brake click. It comes from the front disc. lug holes are bigger diameter than the lugs and they move back and forth. click for reverse click for forward.Dont know if i need to tighten lugs more or what.To much torque on them already. Drives me nuts 'HELP'

Products Discussed in

To Top