1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Fluid Flush

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dysfunctnlretard, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Would getting dirt in the reservoir require me to flush the system?

If so, would flushing it require bleeding the brakes?

And lastly, whats the easiest way to do it? (I know power steering is tough and people recommend using a baster and sucking the fluid out and refilling it, is brake fluid flush similar? Easier?)

2. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I'm curious. Do you think that there is dirt or debris in the brake system? Something has to be really wrong for that to happen.

3. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I heard that when it looks dirty and far away from the color it looked when new, then it should be changed. I would also like to hear what an expert has to say about this.

4. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Brake fluid attracts moisture. Some car companies like Honda suggest flushing the brake system every 3 years to remove the moisture. I don't know if it's needed, but it can't hurt. I'm sure that moisture is not good for the expensive abs motor. If you have dirt or debri in your system, you may have a more serious problem somewhere.

5. Nov 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    i took my truck in for the rear brake problem i was having.i replaced the wheel cylinders and couldnt get the pedal from being to spongy after bleedind it for half an hour. wound up taking it to the dealer they turned the drums replaced the shoes turned the rotors and flushed the system .

6. Nov 11, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    ....YES.

I'd just bleed everything. That'll get ALL the bad stuff out.

7. Nov 11, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Well I went offroading this weekend through some bumpy terrain. My brake fluid reservoir is in a corner, right next to my PA speaker which isn't strapped down. As I hit bumps and rough terrain I guess my pa speaker jumped up an knocked the cap off my resevoir. I was driving around with no cap for about 24 hours but there was lots of dust and I know it got in there. Little, if any fluid was lost. What do u guys think? Flush?

8. Nov 11, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Bleed the brakes using a push method rather than sucking stuff through the lines. Requires 2 people but it's the most effective way. Get someone in the driver's seat and get yourself under the truck. Start at the rear passenger side wheel, then rear driver's side, then front passenger side, then front driver's side. Always bleed going from the wheel farthest from the master cylinder to the closest.

Person in the seat starts to press down on the pedal. Should take a count of 5 to hit the floor. When they start pressing, open the valve so brake fluid flows out. (Make sure you capture it, of course!) Just before they hit the floor with the pedal, close the valve so no air can get sucked back in. Once closed, they let the pedal come up and repeat.

Make sure you regularly check the reservoir to make sure it doesn't run dry. Good luck!

9. Nov 11, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    You can also get a power bleeder from motive products if you want to flush all of the fluid out, but the 2 person method above costs less.

10. Nov 11, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY EMPTY THE SYSTEM. Any debris in the fluid can block the lines and banjo bolts in the system- and that is VERY bad.

You can also get water intrusion with the cap open like that and that will create spongy brake feel.

Good luck!!

11. Nov 14, 2009 at 1:52 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    These are excellent instructions, but what do you have against sucking the stuff out or is that too personal a question ? :rolleyes:

12. Nov 14, 2009 at 2:18 AM
    FuTang909Inamo

FuTang909Inamo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal IE
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD PreRunner
    Deckplate mod, Trueflow drop in filter, clear corners, 31 BFG A/T on 15x8 Mb Razors.
    Brake fluid is hygroscopic. Basically it means it absorbs or attracts moisture from the air. When brake fluid is exposed to air for that long, 24 hrs. as the OP said, it is already compromised or contaminated with moisture; And having moisture in the brake system is not good, which in this case warrants a complete flush or bleeding of the system. So "sucking it out" is not good enough.

13. Nov 14, 2009 at 5:02 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2

My husband and I do this together. Because I can't see him open/close the bleeder....he will say, "Down" and I'll press down on the pedal and say "DOWN" (so he knows the pedal is down). He'll open the bleeder (I'll continue to hold it down). Then - after he closes the bleeder, he'll say, "UP" and I'll let off the brake and I'll say "UP"

14. Nov 14, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Thank you. I will try and refrain from sucking it out in the future. :D

15. Nov 15, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    exactly as it is done ! I am usually the one hollering and turning the bleeder you can also use a small jar and a piece of air tube that fits the bleeder tip, put a small amount of fluid in the jar so it covers the other end of the bleeder add on tube so it does not suck air back in in case you miss the up down commands or someone (partner) misses her cue. ;)

16. Nov 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Do you guys, the Janster included naturally, flush at say 30,000 or wait til the fluid changes color? My 2000 had 132000 on it and still looked clear. :confused:Thanks

17. Nov 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    has anyone already flushed the system on their second gen? and if so is there a specific sequence you have to do it in to not upset the ABS? I know my 96 chevy blazer was that way.

18. May 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    how much brake fluid will I need if I want to cycle all new fluid through the system?

Products Discussed in

To Top