1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake light issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jewon02, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Aug 16, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    Jewon02

Jewon02 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Azusa, ca
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner sport
    Has anyone ever has this issue: when you turn the truck off get out and look at your rear tail (brake lights) they stay on. Usually I just go kick the brake again and they turn off but it's happened on more then one occasion and don't want to come out to a dead battery one day.

2. Aug 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 42 Year Toyota Master/ASE Master Tech.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod
    I have seen one truck do this. It was the brake switch itself. Might want to crawl under and look around to make sure everything is ok and nothing hindering switch operation. Make sure the switch is not loose in it's mounting position.

3. Dec 7, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    08silverTRD

08silverTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Newark DE
    This is happening to me. Not all the time but sometimes and I think it has caused my battery to drain once. I can see the lights flicker when I shut a door so I know it has to be a loose connection or the switch. Where is this switch located so I can take a look at it? Are you referring to the switch under the dash or under the truck itself?

As far as I know no aftermarket wiring has been installed. It does have the trailer light hookup so I may check that tonight as well. Thanks for any information.

4. May 29, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    08silverTRD

08silverTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Newark DE
    Fixed. Bought a new brake light switch (also called a stop light switch) and fixed the issue. Bought for $31 from the dealer and installed myself in two minutes. Just unplug, twist and pull. Dealership wanted to charge me $150 for the part and install.

5. May 29, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    Wile

Wile It's a truck not a luxury sedan.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    This was happening to me to. Brakelights would stay on for miles. Sometimes I'd hit a bump and the would turn on and cancel my cruise control. The switch is adjustable, I removed it with a quarter twist and pull. Shoved it back in as far as it would go and twisted it to lock in place. No more tail light problem!

To Top