1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

brake out 2 quick

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by timbo805, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Feb 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    timbo805

timbo805 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport pre-runner
    hey tw i have 33k kilometers in my truck and its a bout to have its second pair of brakes. i bought the truck new at dealer then 10000 kilometers later it needed new front brakes ok that was weird because all my other cars i have owned never weared out that quick so i go into my 30k service and the dealrer tells me that it only has 20 % life in the fron rotors and 30% percent in the back drums and he stil tells me that im going to need new front rotors becouse they turned them too much ???

is this normal ???:confused:

2. Feb 9, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Doesnt sound normal at all. Brakes should last much longer.

3. Feb 9, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    doug355r

doug355r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD intake, TRD exhaust, Stereo, Step Bars, Electric bed cover

If they turned them too much then its their fault and they should have to pay for new rotors.

4. Feb 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Plus- They are a dealership- I've heard a ton of folks get told they have brakes that are "going to go any minute" and then drive for 10K more miles....

Have you had any braking issues or other indicators a of brake wear/problems??

5. Feb 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    52,000 miles and i'm still on my original set.

6. Feb 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    you might want to inspect the pads yourself.

i'm at 48,000 miles on the original pads and plan on going into the 50's

7. Feb 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Hmmm.

Is there anything else happening here or do you just need new pads and rotors?

I honestly can't tell you how many kilometers I can get out of a set of pads because I always have a brake caliper seize and wear down one side before the pads get to their full life expectancy. First it was the drivers side, then 1.5 years later it was the passenger side. The last time I replaced the drivers side pads were at 75% and the passenger side was at maybe 5%. Maybe the third time is the charm and I won't have to replace pads due to seizing calipers.

If you are not having caliper issues, you're pads should last allot longer if they are installing OEM. there are some pads out there in the aftermarket world with very soft materials, but I wouldn't expect your dealer to be installing these.

Are you aware what to look for to check the brakes yourself? I would also assume your dealership checked to see if the caliper was dragging - but that said I had to argue with Toyota to get my last one replaced under warranty. You couldn't turn the wheel by hand with the truck on a jack, but they figured the caliper wasn't seized. Go figure.

8. Feb 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    timbo805

timbo805 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport pre-runner
    no not a warning light but at 10k my front pads where making a grinding noise and thats how i definatly knew i had worn out my front pads

To Top