1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake overriding Gas system question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DoctorW, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 10, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    DoctorW

DoctorW [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma double cab 4x4 TRD offroad
    I just got recall notice yesterday and took my 2010 Tocoma Double Cab to dealer this afternoon.

Dealer told me they modified my gas pedal (which I can see) and they also updated the software so that brake can override gas pedal (which I cannot see).

But I tried to press down gas pedal and brake at the same time (while parking at "P") but found the gas was not cut off at all. I found the roar of the engine did not get small.

I also cautiously tried it while driving at low speed. When the speed is low, I pressed the gas pedal aggressively and then press down the brake at the same time. But I found the brake does not interfere with gas at all.

I really wonder how the brake can override gas, and how to test it?

Anybody tested it?

2. Aug 10, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've heard that it doesn't work below 15 mph. If I were going to test it, I'd go someplace safe, give it a good bit of gas, and keep on the gas while hitting the brake once I got to 20-30 mph.

3. Aug 11, 2010 at 12:46 AM
    Jeffh1199

Jeffh1199 Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    tsb springs, Westin bull bar, westin stainless nerf bars, Piaa driving lights 520, ome lift up front and 3 leaf progressive aal out back with ome shocks, Full HID headlight conversion, Dyno lock power tailgate lock, complete swap to led bulbs, wet okole seat covers front and rear, Pioneer indash navigation
    Im not sure what the speed threshold is but I know at low speeds it does not cut out the engine. I suspect this is so when offroading you can apply both the brake and gas simultaneously when going over obstacles. At speed give it a try. It throttles the engine back after a 2 second delay or so. It is not abrupt but does reduce the engine output to idle. I just had the recall done on friday.

Hope this helps
    J

4. Aug 12, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    DoctorW

DoctorW [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma double cab 4x4 TRD offroad
    I got response from Toyota:

The brake override feature is designed to be unobtrusive in normal driving conditions. It is designed to manage vehicle acceleration caused by interference with the accelerator pedal and is otherwise undetectable under normal driving conditions.

Using the accelerator pedal position sensors, brake light switch circuitry, and the vehicle speed sensors, this intuitive and intelligent extra measure of confidence helps ensure that vehicles can be controlled in the event that the accelerator pedal is trapped.

When the vehicle throttle is opened beyond the idle position, at speeds greater than five miles per hour and then the brakes are firmly applied for longer than one-half second, the override feature will reduce engine output to the idle position, allowing greater braking performance. If the brake pedal is then released and the engine speed does not return to normal operation, the vehicle should be brought to a stop with brake override, the engine shut off and the vehicle evaluated by a Toyota dealer.

The feature has sophisticated control logic intended to eliminate undesirable or inappropriate activation and is designed to be imperceptible. In certain driving conditions, unnecessary activation of the brake override would create an inconvenient or even unsafe situation.

For example, the brake override feature does not operate if the brake pedal is depressed before the accelerator pedal. This logic allows for vehicles starting on a steep a hill to safely accelerate without rolling backwards, otherwise known as a hill start.

Toyota engineers have carefully calibrated the system control logic to prevent the system from interfering with efforts to free a vehicle by rocking it to gain traction in snow or mud. Since some drivers prefer to brake with the left foot, the system also recognizes this as an intentional action by the driver and will allow the accelerator to function normally.:)

5. Aug 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    nicely put, i just had it done

but didnt really understand what it did, or how it was done

6. Aug 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    Series1000

Series1000 Gots a Taco!

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4X4 4.0L
    3" Redi-lift (spacer lift) up front
    you know, stuck in mud/brake stand - its all the same. as long as they dont take that away from us

7. Aug 13, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
  8. Aug 13, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    they won't be touching mine. i know how to use the clutch.

To Top