1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeremy_283, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Aug 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I am at almost 55,000 miles and never had to replace brakes yet. What's the deal?

2. Aug 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    GP100

GP100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    RI
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad
    I'm over 56K and they haven't started squealing yet. I bought new pads a couple of YEARS ago because when having an oil change and tires rotated I asked the mechanic to check my brakes. He told me that there was barely anything left and I had to have them done right away. He gave me a small phenominal price to have the work done so I said no thanks. I picked up some pads on the way home and the next day jacked up the truck, pulled the front tires, and was about to get to work when I realized there was still plenty of pad left. The asshole was just trying to make a quick buck. Anyway, as soon as I hear that first squeal I'm ready to change them.

3. Aug 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I hear a VERY faint squeal every now and then but I don't think it's significant enough

4. Aug 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    LEEP

LEEP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEE
    CONNECTICUT
    Vehicle:
    O8 TACOMA TRD
    HAVE 75300 MILES ON MY O8 FRONT BRAKES ONLY 1/2 WORN

5. Aug 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    Might want to check them the squeal means the metal rod is hitting the rotor, leave it long enough and might have to resurface the rotor. Plus are you easy on your brakes, I have found that the less you have to slow down quickly from jamming the gas, your pads will last longer. But that is pretty simple concept most dont understand either.

6. Aug 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    How do I check drum brakes?

7. Aug 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    Use a screw driver to help start the drum away from the dust shield but becafe of the pad as to not dig into it.

8. Aug 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    The drum brake does not wear as bad as the front brakes. If your fronts are good in most circumstances the backs are still good.

To Top