1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Shudder

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by stucksucksnayota, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Jul 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    I did a search for brake shudder and I cant find anything that answers exactly what i'm wondering.

My truck has right at 178k miles on the clock.

I put new brakes on it probably 3 weeks ago.
    Turned my rotors for the first time ( yes I know 178k on a set of rotors never getting turned is beyond stupid but lol idk)

So now even with the high dollar pads on it i still get a shudder like the brakes are worn out. My rotors looked and felt good once I got them turned but it still shudders.

My thoughts are that the rotors are fawked up or something and that's why its shuddering which seems like the only thing that can make them do this.

The guy at the parts store is tellin me it could be the calipers i mean WTF i really dont think thats true but I know someone on here can help me out with this so lets hear it lol

So I hoping someone will second me on the thought that I need to buy some new rotors for $60 and fix this annoying problem

Thanks

2. Jul 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    steve r

steve r Well-Known Member

Member:
    buford ga
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma
    rotors might be to thin .not takin the heat away enough.

3. Jul 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD .....

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD DCSB
    Your rotors are prolly worn unevenly..thats why your getting the shutter! I'd get em resurfaced before you ruin your new pads!!...

4. Jul 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    X2 What he said...:)

5. Jul 16, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Resurfaced as in getting them turned or can they like actually resurface them?

6. Jul 16, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD .....

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD DCSB
    Just take em to pepboys or brake masters...they'll resurface them so that their smooth and even...;) They literally resurface them lol

7. Jul 16, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD .....

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD DCSB
    It'll prolly cost somewhere around $30 - $50

8. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft.myers,FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lexus ES300/2004 Lexus 330 AWD
    Quick question,
    Did the SHOP "mic" ( measure) the rotors before turning them???
    With that kind of mileage ,I would venture they are thin...
    I'm being lazy and not going out the garage to get my book..BUT I think 22mm is stock and 20mm is thin...that is how close tolerances can be..
    It will be stamped on the rotor....FYI......

I can not tell you how many folks got PISSED when I refused to turn worn rotors.....Store policy was we "MIC" b-4 we turn....and no we did not alwats get the counter sale BUT I never had someone come back and BIT@H me out either....

S

9. Jul 17, 2009 at 6:20 AM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    I would just get new rotors.

10. Jul 17, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    get new rotors and make sure to properly break in the pads, dont glaze them from too much heat early on

11. Jul 17, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    How about when you replace your rotors with brand new ones, a new set of $60 ceramic pads, and still get brake pulsation/shudder... That is what I am putting up with right now. I am 99.9% sure it is my rear drums. If I pull the e brake while almost to a complete stop I feel the pulsation. That may be your issue too? I am just going to get a set of drums and shoes.....

12. Jul 17, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    If you're that sure it's in the rear, have the drums ,mic'd, turned and ask for a nice non-directional finish put to them. I used to do brakes at Les Schwab and turned a lot of rotors & drums. After turning them on a lathe, it was standard policy to take a really fine grit sand paper/emry cloth and sand back & forth on the surface while it was spinning on the lathe to provide a nondirection finish. This made all the difference in the world as compared to only turning them. You could have "hotspots on a rotor or drum somewhere that could cause a pulsation too.

13. Jul 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    No I didt measure them but that is kind of what I was thinking with that many miles on the rotor and only having them turned once probably to thin.

So I guess its a new set of rotors for my taco. Dont want to cook my fancy new pads!!

14. Jul 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    speedracer

speedracer Member

Member:
    Nor-Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Prerunner
    Stock
    You had said you got New Pads? Do the new pads require a special Bedding proceedure to set the new material? Some times if this is not done on the fist drive it can cause some of these same issues. But I agree with the New Rotors also.

15. Jul 17, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    I replace my rotors everytime I do my brakes. Cost wise, it's not bad, and you know they are new.

16. Jul 18, 2009 at 1:41 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Sounds like rotor run-out , your rotors are warped even though they mic out within specs for turning probably time to replace .

To Top