1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Upgrades

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AZHornet, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    AZHornet

AZHornet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab
    I have a 2K9 Taco 4x4 TRD Offroad and was looking at the following options for a brake upgrade

1) TRD Brake Upgrade for XRunner..would it fit on a 4x4 pending RIM Clearence? I am assuming I would have to upgrade a minimum of a 17" or 18" Rim?

2) Cheaper upgrade - Use Tundra Components? I am interested in keeping my stock rims and would like to upgrade to Steel Lines..would the stock Tundra Calipers Bolt on?

3) For the heck of it - Upgrade to the TUNDRA TRD Brake Package...Huge $$$ though and would have to upgrade the RIM's?

Just curious to see what anyone else has done...I did some searching on other threads but couldn't find anything conclusive. Thanks!

2. Apr 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    mccawi02

mccawi02 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Delmar, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 TRD OFFRD
    I was told at a dealer when I went there to ask about the TRD brakes, that it is ONLY for the XRunner....which I don't understand. I hear you, though. I would love to have a brake upgrade, too!

3. Apr 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 4runner SR5 v8
    nope, one other slight problem even before RIM clearance...check out how many lugs the xr has...there's your answer!!

see above...

4. Apr 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    its been discussed before, not a viable solution

5. Apr 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    TRD BBK is 355mm. Isn't that the same size as our stock brakes?
    There is a replacement rear disk kit for just under $800. It comes with everything you need, but I'm not exactly sure if it's what you'd be looking for since most of the braking is done by the front tires. http://sosperf.com/tundra%20_double_stnd_brake.htm

To Top